Sign in to follow this  
creed

shuttin 'em down

I am a bit surprised at how fast some of these archery units are filling their quota. But then I should be thankful for all the opportunity it provides. Can't wait to see how fast the late hunts shut down if it stays dry.

I'm not too surprised but it is certainly interesting discussion. Mule are easier to kill than coues deer. Deer are easier to kill when it's dry. I suspect more 1-2 year-old deer were killed near a road or water than any other situation. 

I believe mule deer are in trouble for a variety of reasons and unchecked OTC harvest hasn't been helping. If units can't stay open for a week, they cannot stay OTC. Perhaps coues stay OTC and mule deer go all draw in years to come?

Unfortunately many people's suspicions were true. I'm glad heads are no longer in the sand and the numbers are here.

• Like 9

Go to a draw. I've supported one all along. 

Hunt quality is going to take a hit because of the  quota. The rut hunt in some of the desert units will be much shorter or possibly non existent in dry years.  When 42 shutdown early last year overcrowding became an issue in some areas  of the bordering units. Guess I am selfish but the desert rut is my favorite of any hunt AZ has to offer. I hate to lose it but fully support regulating deer harvest numbers. I just think a draw is the best way to regulate it and maintain the quality of the hunt.

• Like 3

I wonder why earlier today they had unit 1 and unit 6A mule deer shutting down at sundown August 30th, 2023 but now they both say closed as of sundown September 6th, 2023? Both of their quotas were filled before sundown August 30th, or atleast that is what it had shown for the number killed for each unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ11 said:

I wonder why earlier today they had unit 1 and unit 6A mule deer shutting down at sundown August 30th, 2023 but now they both say closed as of sundown September 6th, 2023? Both of their quotas were filled before sundown August 30th, or atleast that is what it had shown for the number killed for each unit.

You’re right. I checked yesterday afternoon and it was closed. Weird. Why would they keep it open another week if it already met its harvest quota before sundown Aug 30? 

• Like 1

They fixed thier mistake! It now reads correctly. If you are out today, hopefully you got a screen shot. 

• Like 1

Pick your weapon... if you buy an otc tag in January you don't get to apply in the draw. No more having 2 deer tags. Otc sales cut in half, reduced take. Problem solved. 

Next step in saving deer... get rid of electronic communication during the pursuit/stalk. F&G is hypocritical when they preach Fair Chase then out of the other side of their mouth they allow this. 

I'd bet if they changed these two things most of the quotas wouldn't be filled and we'd live happily ever after. Ed F

• Like 3

I don’t understand how baiting is illegal but sitting over water is allowed. Doesn’t seem to be much difference between them. This change would definitely drive success rates down and help with quotas. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mc68 said:

I don’t understand how baiting is illegal but sitting over water is allowed. Doesn’t seem to be much difference between them. This change would definitely drive success rates down and help with quotas. 

Baiting should be legal.   Mule deer don’t come to bait very well anyway, it doesn’t make much difference.  

why would you want to drive success rates down?  That seems like no fun.  Go kill a deer and have some fun with the kids.

• Like 1

I’m surprised everyone is complaining.  Maybe a no spike rule unless you are a youth hunter, would help.  But there’s plenty of deer if you’re willing to get more than 5 feet off a road.  

id rather see them cut back on rifle tags, than reduce archery opportunities.  It funny how archery otc is the one on the chopping block, not rifle tags usually.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BOWUNTR said:

Pick your weapon... if you buy an otc tag in January you don't get to apply in the draw. No more having 2 deer tags. Otc sales cut in half, reduced take. Problem solved

Not sure this solves anything, but it results in less hunter opportunity.  The harvest is already limited, so it doesn't reduce take by much.  This just means less people in the woods, and less income for AZGFD due to reduced sales.  I've bought an archery tag and rifle tags for many years, but can only take 1 deer.  Meaning the rifle tag is trash and a donation if I harvest during archery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZcoues_addict said:

Not sure this solves anything, but it results in less hunter opportunity.  The harvest is already limited, so it doesn't reduce take by much.  This just means less people in the woods, and less income for AZGFD due to reduced sales.  I've bought an archery tag and rifle tags for many years, but can only take 1 deer.  Meaning the rifle tag is trash and a donation if I harvest during archery.

I thought the trail cam ban was going to reduce archery success by a large percentage?