Sign in to follow this  
azphil

Electronic Tags- uh oh

The Alphabets already have that info, even in airplane mode.  Your device, even without service leaves a detailed roadmap of your day to day activities.  

Not that it matters,  but AZGFD did print this disclaimer:

1994825133_Screenshot_20230906-133517_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.2cbfbdcbc6e86ee0567158ae1ca53731.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

I’d be more concerned with the admins at ONX seeing your waypoints 🤯🤯🤯

A buddy and I were talking about that. Those guys are sitting on a goldmine 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eli said:

A buddy and I were talking about that. Those guys are sitting on a goldmine 

Or a Powder Keg.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

I’d be more concerned with the admins at ONX seeing your waypoints 🤯🤯🤯

Never even considered it.  Time to turn all my pins to the squirrel icon

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Never even considered it.  Time to turn all my pins to the squirrel icon

Why even use a game animal icon? Do people have so many way points that they can't remember what they did at each one?

1 minute ago, PRDATR said:

Why even use a game animal icon? Do people have so many way points that they can't remember what they did at each one?

Joking mostly.

Honestly most of the time I do a straight pin.  Unless it's water...

Eh....     I'm in the finance/banking/software business.  I'm much more concerned (which is hardly at all) about my personal financial data, account info, etc. getting into some fraudster's hands and wreaking havoc with my financial life. 

I just find it hard to believe that some dude sitting in Missoula is going to care enough about the VAST majority of hunting pins he has access to, as to cause or incent him to go lurking, driving, chasing all over the west looking for the next goldmine of trophy kills (or to sell to nefarious characters....).  Could it happen???   Of course.   I just don't personally believe that the majority of us are at any risk at all of losing prime hunting spots based on some software engineer creeping around behind the scenes in an onX database.  As pointed out in the article via a quoted source, there are generally fairly tight security and data access control standards when it comes to software development (I know in the banking industry, there certainly is....).  I'm sure the FTC and other agencies have pretty tight requirements on this stuff, but who knows.  Especially since most of it's mapping licensing comes from government agencies, I'm guessing they are likely keeping themselves in order. ;) 

Regarding etags, as @Newbie2012 pointed out, contrary to popular belief, the etag process through G&F does not track location info.

3 minutes ago, stanley said:

Eh....     I'm in the finance/banking/software business.  I'm much more concerned (which is hardly at all) about my personal financial data, account info, etc. getting into some fraudster's hands and wreaking havoc with my financial life. 

I just find it hard to believe that some dude sitting in Missoula is going to care enough about the VAST majority of hunting pins he has access to, as to cause or incent him to go lurking, driving, chasing all over the west looking for the next goldmine of trophy kills (or to sell to nefarious characters....).  Could it happen???   Of course.   I just don't personally believe that the majority of us are at any risk at all of losing prime hunting spots based on some software engineer creeping around behind the scenes in an onX database.  As pointed out in the article via a quoted source, there are generally fairly tight security and data access control standards when it comes to software development (I know in the banking industry, there certainly is....).  I'm sure the FTC and other agencies have pretty tight requirements on this stuff, but who knows.  Especially since most of it's mapping licensing comes from government agencies, I'm guessing they are likely keeping themselves in order. ;) 

Regarding etags, as @Newbie2012 pointed out, contrary to popular belief, the etag process through G&F does not track location info.

Stanley, ill bet you whatever amount if money you like, that if there was a major game case, and the defendant used Etag, (or whatever made up situation we want), the game and fish would magically ve able to recover GPS coordinates from the Etag used.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have so many pins on OnX they wouldn't  know which ones are good and which ones are terrible. Not to mention I could be the worst hunter around or the best. I don't think the info is that valuable personally, unless they are looking at specific guides or someone they know has a good grasp on things. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

question about e-tag

all my e-tags are in white letters but my tag for deer in october is not, looks like is not active,is that tag going to be active once the season starts? 

Yeah

1 hour ago, maximus said:

question about e-tag

all my e-tags are in white letters but my tag for deer in october is not, looks like is not active,is that tag going to be active once the season starts? 

correct, only active tags are shown in white. At season opener, it will switch

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Yes some do 

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Yes