Sign in to follow this  
horseremover

Aspen Lodge issues

Conservation groups have been working diligently with the Apache National Forest to remove the feral livestock that has been inundating much of the forest. Sadly, the horse advocates have been working just as hard to stop the removal of said livestock. Photos by the contractor show the advocates opening locked gates to let captured horses free, cutting fences and causing havoc with the contractor. Over the past 14 months the contractor has removed over 350 horses and now has financing to remove even more. Conservation groups in Arizona have contributed over $100,000 to remove the remainder of these horses. Part of the issue is that the horse advocates refuse to accept science and biology as well as a Federal judgement that these horses are "stray", feral, or just plain livestock. I am writing this only to inform those who do not have the time or inclination to follow the drama. Many of us will be elk hunting this fall and we need to be aware of who our "Friends" are and those who only care about horses. It should be noted that the Aspen Lodge in Alpine is the hub of the Alpine Wild horse advocacy. The recent California transplants that purchased the Alpine Lodge have made the determination that these horses should be free and unencumbered by science. Where you spend your money this fall matters. If you are a horse advocate, spend your $$ at the Aspen Lodge. If you want a forest that has only natural wildlife..... then think twice about where you spend your $$. Once the Apache has all horses removed, the Sitgreaves Forest is next for a massive reduction of the invasive horses that came over from the Rodeo Chedeski fire. The White Mountain Apache Tribe has accepted back their cattle that strayed over into the forest, but politely declined to accept horses. The future of hunting units across Arizona need the support of all sportsmen to make sure biology and science rule how wildlife is handled.... and livestock have no place in the forests.

• Like 10

Why capture them instead of just disposing of them? They don’t belong on the land and they can’t escape if they’re dead…

• Like 4

Should use them to feed other countries starving or fertilize fields for future food.

• Like 3

Open season, horse tastes great!  Really...

It’s truly pathetic how you try to use forums like this one to bully people into hurting a family business. Not everyone who comes from CA are liberals. There are plenty of people that just like to see all the species in our beautiful forest. You really should listen to yourselves. If that’s your mindset, then by all means, please don’t stay at the Aspen Lodge. But I’ll tell you right now, you only know 1% of the story. And it takes a real special person to try to take out a family business they know nothing about. Have you been there? Stayed there? Ever met the family? No. You haven’t. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, AmericanGirl said:

It’s truly pathetic how you try to use forums like this one to bully people into hurting a family business. Not everyone who comes from CA are liberals. There are plenty of people that just like to see all the species in our beautiful forest. You really should listen to yourselves. If that’s your mindset, then by all means, please don’t stay at the Aspen Lodge. But I’ll tell you right now, you only know 1% of the story. And it takes a real special person to try to take out a family business they know nothing about. Have you been there? Stayed there? Ever met the family? No. You haven’t. 

Literally none of that matters if you support keeping the horses. So do you? We don't care how nice you are or if it's a family business. If you advocate for the feral horses then that's all I need to know about supporting your business. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2023 at 2:27 PM, AmericanGirl said:

It’s truly pathetic how you try to use forums like this one to bully people into hurting a family business. Not everyone who comes from CA are liberals. There are plenty of people that just like to see all the species in our beautiful forest. You really should listen to yourselves. If that’s your mindset, then by all means, please don’t stay at the Aspen Lodge. But I’ll tell you right now, you only know 1% of the story. And it takes a real special person to try to take out a family business they/them know nothing about. Have you been there? Stayed there? Ever met the family? No. You haven’t. 

No offense, but your "wild" horses have the potential to hurt way more than just your little family shack rental business, ma'am. 

2 hours ago, AmericanGirl said:

Your little speech on both threads is going to do more harm to your business than good

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AmericanGirl said:

The principals of Aspen Lodge (you) have taken a stance on an issue that is very important to outdoorsmen.  We will vote with our money and do our best to make fellow outdoorsmen aware of Aspen Lodge's stance concerning feral animals on public land. 

1 hour ago, dsotm said:

Your little speech on both threads is going to do more harm to your business than good

^^^^ this

• Like 2

Come on guys, it’s Tom Petty’s dream gal, an American Girl…. Be CWT nice…,

btw, their website  highlights seeing “wild horses” in their list of “wildlife” to view in the area…. No such thing in AZ, American Girl. The correct term is feral horses.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On a purely selfish note, I'm thankful for this thread as it takes some of the heat off my post where I simply posted it would be nice for a seller to list a sale price in their classified ad.  🤣

Eddie

• Haha 3