Sign in to follow this  
azphil

Opinions

Shot placement is critical with any chambering.  I would rather a double lung or shoulder shot on an elk with a .243 than a ham shot with a 338 WM.

A 243 with a premium bullet such as a partition or monolithic at 2900-3100 FPS will will be just fine for elk.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I detest brakes on hunting rifles.  They add length and weight to the rifle, and make hearing protection and absolute necessity for the hunter and party.

• Like 4

On 9/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, trphyhntr said:

243 is cope. He’s a man, hunting elk. Get him a man sized gun. 

So your not a man if you shoot a 243?

It's all about shot placement, many cows have gone down with a 243.

• Like 1

My son when he was 10 shot a cow with the 100gr Nos Partition.   He made a good shot but she did need a 2nd one. The bullet did good and she would have expired I'm sure but other son shot a cow that same morning with very similar shot location with a 7/08 140 gr (can't recall the bullet) and she dropped and went much quicker. I know this is obvious but thought I'd share - the 243 did it's job but did feel a little light. 

Good luck to boy! 

• Like 1

Easy decision imo.  Shoot the rifle, with the most knock down power, he can ACCURATELY shoot.  Try out the 06, if he can't handle it, go lighter.

• Like 4

16 year old could handle a 30-06.  It’s a matter of trigger time more than any caliber.  It’s important he shoots more than a few times before the hunt.  I was handed a 270 when I was 13 and we used it all the time from the range to varmints before I went on a big game hunt.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

So your not a man if you shoot a 243?

It's all about shot placement, many cows have gone down with a 243.

I watched a guy whack a 5x5 with a 6mm 95 gr sst at a little over 300. The bull took maybe 5 steps coughing and snorting and laid over. Not my choice but the guy is 66 years old and this rifle has been his go to for like 45 years! He shoots it well! 
I think if the boy shoots the 243 well and feels comfortable with it, go for it. Especially only a month before the hunt why throw a different caliber, trigger etc. at him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The .243 is ideal for game weighing between  90-130lb but is also adequate for 180 lb big game animals. This weight limit is suggested not because the .243 cannot produce sufficient penetration on larger game, but because with rear lung shots, even though wounds may be free bleeding, kills can be so slow as to allow animals to run considerable distances and become lost altogether to the hunter. On heavy boned deer and elk careful shot placement is the key. Countless Elk have been successfully harvested with the .243 without fuss. However, for every success story there are just as many failures. While many experienced hunters like to argue the limitations of the .243 based on their own skills, animal welfare should always be paramount. There are a great many calibers more suitable for larger game than the .243. Have him practice with the 30 06. He might like it better and even shoot better with it. He is 16 and he can make his own final decision. 

• Like 2

I don’t think elk should be shot with anything smaller than a 30cal. I just took a guy last week on a cow hunt and had him use a 7mag on a 260yd shot. Blullet never exited and didn’t bleed with a 190gr. Found her 180yds away. Yes it works but I just don’t like it

2 hours ago, AZkiller said:

I don’t think elk should be shot with anything smaller than a 30cal. I just took a guy last week on a cow hunt and had him use a 7mag on a 260yd shot. Blullet never exited and didn’t bleed with a 190gr. Found her 180yds away. Yes it works but I just don’t like it

I shot a 5x6 last year at 400 yards with a 7Mag. 160 gr Barnes, factory ammo. It went 15 feet. Shot one with a 160 Nosler Partition 10 years ago and dropped it right there. I and two other CWT Members witnessed a guy shoot a Raghorn  at 885 yards with a 6.5 PRC and 147gr bullet that went maybe 25'.

My son has killed two Cows with his Tikka 30-06, almost 20 years ago, one at 25 yards and one at 305 yards. He was 14 on the first one and 16 on the second one. Nosler Partitions both times. I also lost a 6x7 I hit high lung shot at about 300 yards with a 308 shooting 165gr Partition and lost a Cow shot with a 243 at 80 yards that broke the front leg  below the shoulder but didn't leave hardly any blood to track.

• Like 1