Sign in to follow this  
AZAV8ER

Hunting rifle sight in

Come sight in your rifle with the Hassayampa Rifle Silhouette club. We will be at Ben Avery R-2 range just west of the main range. We will have targets up at 100 yards and if you just want to check zero or do your own sight in it is $10 a rifle for each of your first two rifles and $5 for every next rifle. We will have spotting scopes up, lots of tools to set scope bases and action screws and if you want help it's available. Remember $10 for each, first 2 rifles, targets are set up for you and no yelling at you by a range officers. We will be there tomorrow Thursday 5 through Sunday 8th, Tims 8AM-3:00 PM.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, forepaw said:

. . . and no yelling at you by a range officers . . .

Man kudos to you if you accomplish that on any AZGFD range.

Haha +10

Great service guys. A buddy used yall a year or two ago when he couldn't find time to zero in a new rifle before a late elk hunt.

Apparently the RSOs have time to watch the movements of visitors using the vending machines.

Last time I went to Ben Avery, I was screamed at for eating an M&M with peanuts near the shooting line lol. Yup, I'm a rebel. 3 years later, I'm the RSO. Have had to ask one individual I saw drawing from the hip to holster his weapon and put it away since he wanted to argue. Still, I didn't need to scream. Dang good thing he didn't compound the infraction with an M&M.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, forepaw said:

. . . and no yelling at you by a range officers . . .

Man kudos to you if you accomplish that on any AZGFD range.

We are on Range 2 and we are running the range for the service, no AZGFD/Ben Avery RSO's in sight. 

• Like 3

On 10/5/2023 at 4:48 PM, Edge said:

Last time I went to Ben Avery, I was screamed at for eating an M&M with peanuts near the shooting line lol.

To be clear, were these Peanut M&Ms or M&Ms and peanuts (like a DIY gorp mixture) ?

Need to know RSO preference incase I need to grease the wheels... ha ha

bump for the sight in service...

God forbid you bring a drink without a cap or lid on it o BA,  you’ll die of lead poisoning   before you get home, apparently. My last time there, all the range nazis were very nice. Years ago, I watched one douche bag berate a guy for putting his target on the wrong side of the target holder. Acted  like a marine drill sergeant , screaming “ can’t you read? It says on the other side place your targets here!” I’m sure if the “ offender” had seen the other side, he’d have done so. I think I’d have decked the guy myself. Must be the sensitivity training is paying off..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

To be clear, were these Peanut M&Ms or M&Ms and peanuts (like a DIY gorp mixture) ?

Need to know RSO preference incase I need to grease the wheels... ha ha

bump for the sight in service...

W/peanuts.  They were probably scared someone would have an allergy. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

God forbid you bring a drink without a cap or lid on it o BA,  you’ll die of lead poisoning   before you get home, apparently. My last time there, all the range nazis were very nice. Years ago, I watched one douche bag berate a guy for putting his target on the wrong side of the target holder. Acted  like a marine drill sergeant , screaming “ can’t you read? It says on the other side place your targets here!” I’m sure if the “ offender” had seen the other side, he’d have done so. I think I’d have decked the guy myself. Must be the sensitivity training is paying off..

I miss the old days at Usery when there was one rangemaster who was often doing maintenance and the shooters called the line safe or hot.

On 10/20/2023 at 5:24 AM, PRDATR said:

I miss the old days at Usery when there was one rangemaster who was often doing maintenance and the shooters called the line safe or hot.

All AZ ranges used to be that way.  Ranges in other Western states still are.  AZ hunters and shooters need to wake up to the way AZGFD is mismanaging this state’s shooting range program, and realize your rights to use YOUR shooting ranges are slowly being eroded away.  They are being chipped away by the environmental and public health lobby (both anti-2A), by overly-cautious AZGFD attorneys and shooting sports staff, and by know-it-all safety officers who think they are the last word on guns, shooting, reloading and you-name-it. 

The commission-owned ranges vary in terms of management and shooter satisfaction.  Some (Mohave Sportsman’s Club) don’t seem too bad.   Some are real problem children.  The Sierra Vista range is run by misfits who think they are the brain trust of shooting in S. AZ but who can’t get along with anyone.  That range is closed more than it’s open.  However, if you are one of the officers, you can bring your buds and your family and use it anytime you want.  How convenient.    AZGFD just looks the other way.

I grew up in AZ, and remember very well going to the Usery Pass range (now Rio Salado) and having it all to myself – not once but many times.  Years later, there may have been a range officer, but he didn’t bother anyone.  He sure didn’t breathe down your neck like they do now. 

After an absence of 30+ years for work, what have I found coming back? That AZ has become a nanny-state.  Loss of personal freedom is everywhere. 

• Like 2

Make no mistake there are some real jerks working as safety officers at the public ranges, but I bet every last one of them that's been working for awhile has had a loaded weapon pointed at them. If you have spent some time at a public range pretty much seen it all, as far as being unsafe goes. If you have been to a range without a safety officer, take a look around. How many holes are in the over hanging roof? How much stuff has been shot up? Chairs, posts holding the over hang up, ect.

• Like 2

As a member  of rio salado  I can say there was a few over bearing  Ro s. I haven't  had any issues  with  the range.  There are some  people  that  just don't  have a clue and get an idea  when they  get a lecture  on safety.  I'm good with  that . Dumb irresponsible  people  pointing  loaded guns at other people  on the  line do show  up just the same . Usually  it's just some  politely  given directions  mostly  by everyone  around  them to make the range safe for all. And for the ones that just aren't  smart enough  to understand  they usually  leave  quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

Make no mistake there are some real jerks working as safety officers at the public ranges, but I bet every last one of them that's been working for awhile has had a loaded weapon pointed at them. If you have spent some time at a public range pretty much seen it all, as far as being unsafe goes. If you have been to a range without a safety officer, take a look around. How many holes are in the over hanging roof? How much stuff has been shot up? Chairs, posts holding the over hang up, ect.

Funny you should mention... your description of the shooting stations reminds me of the small arms ranges in the USAF.  It literally looked like a combat zone where airman went to qualify.

• Like 1

Back in the day being a member of Usery meant you had a key that could enter the range and shoot without rangemaster from sun up (until they opened 8 or 9) and then again from when they closed (5 I think) until sundown. Was well worth the $50 a year that it cost back then.  But as soon as the range masters showed up, you left. This is in the mid 90s even and they were all DBs.  I get the dealing with DHs but ask - asking works 99% of the time. No reason to berate people unless a dangerous situation.  Leaning over a line or grabbing a cleaning rod falling off the bench or whatever - does not deserve the treatment they expelled.  It was embarrassing when taking people from out of state or from a gun/optics manufacturer/rep or someone out there. Haven't been in 20+ years now but my assumption is that is hasn't changed much.   

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jdown said:

Back in the day being a member of Usery meant you had a key that could enter the range and shoot without rangemaster from sun up (until they opened 8 or 9) and then again from when they closed (5 I think) until sundown. Was well worth the $50 a year that it cost back then.  But as soon as the range masters showed up, you left. This is in the mid 90s even and they were all DBs.  I get the dealing with DHs but ask - asking works 99% of the time. No reason to berate people unless a dangerous situation.  Leaning over a line or grabbing a cleaning rod falling off the bench or whatever - does not deserve the treatment they expelled.  It was embarrassing when taking people from out of state or from a gun/optics manufacturer/rep or someone out there. Haven't been in 20+ years now but my assumption is that is hasn't changed much.   

Exactly, I was a member from 95 to 2000 . We did it all ourselves before and after shooting hours to the public.

I don't go there anymore, I have a few spots to shoot.

I was a member of the Usery range in the late 80's through mid 90's. Could shoot on my own off hours. It was nice. I don't think it was managed by G&F back then...maybe? The range nazi was bad for a while and I quit going, mostly due to the crowds. I went back a few times over the last year and RO's weren't bad. I heard they got rid of some of the bad ones. Range management needs to understand, if they don't make the range welcoming, more people will go to the desert. We've all seen what idiots do to the desert.