Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Some 3A BS

I’m not super familiar with these ranches, what percent is deeded and what is check boarded with public?  As a private landowner in another state, I’ve always felt that true private ranches in AZ get the shaft by the draw system, but that all goes out the door when it land locks significant public land, especially when they have grazing rights for pennies on the dollar for those public acres.  A lot of states, my home state included have non transferable landowner tag systems which I feel are a reasonable compromise.  While I have certainly benefited from landowner tags in other states, I do understand the frustration and fear of what transferable landowner tags can do.  

• Like 1

Before everyone starts in on the trust land being non public land, which it is. Arizona is lucky your allowed to hunt it, most states like new mexico the game commission has to pay the trust land department a yearly fee for hunters to access the state trust land

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

No, he locked his gates and doesn’t allow anyone on paying or otherwise.

My reading comprehension sucks.  You clearly stated that in the post I quoted

I'm not familiar with the ranch names but very familiar with the area.  So are we talking about the guy on Zennif that used to be hay farm and the ranch to the east of that north of the rr tracks south of the big power line?

I tried to get in there on  2 hunts in the last few years and it is all locked. We have been hunting in their since 93 off and on.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stillatmaxpoints said:

Before everyone starts in on the trust land being non public land, which it is. Arizona is lucky your allowed to hunt it, most states like new mexico the game commission has to pay the trust land department a yearly fee for hunters to access the state trust land

Part of our license fees go to the land trust. That’s why you can access and hunt it with a valid hunting license. It’s not luck, it was designed that way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stillatmaxpoints said:

I don't believe the pop man hunts were on public land, the boundry was all north of the forest service

Theres a lot of state trust checkerboarded in there, some BLM. Technically not public, but you know what I mean, huntable not private land. 

On 11/26/2023 at 4:16 AM, daryl_s said:

I saw somewhere on Facebook that someone created a very well worded response for people to use when they email AZGFD about this, but I didn't get it copied before I lost track of it. If someone has it and wouldn't mind posting it here I'd be happy to join in emailing my concerns to AZGFD. I myself am not the most eloquent in these situations. 

I didn't see the Facebook response but here is what I sent off if anyone would like to use as a quick template:

Dear Arizona Game and Fish Department,

I am writing to express my concerns regarding the recent changes in hunting regulations for Unit 3A, specifically the modification of boundary descriptions that affect elk and antelope hunts. The decision to convert a significant portion of Unit 3A to over-the-counter (OTC) tags, influenced by local rancher requests, has raised serious issues related to the privatization and commercialization of hunting in this area.

I understand that the Elkins ranch has entered into an exclusive access agreement with an outfitter, who is now selling OTC hunts at a high cost. This arrangement not only goes against the principles of the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation, which emphasizes public access to wildlife resources, but also limits opportunities for average hunters who cannot afford such high fees.

The spirit of fair chase and equal opportunity, which are core to our hunting heritage, are being compromised. It is disheartening to see a public resource being utilized for private gain, especially when it restricts access for the broader hunting community.

I urge the AZGFD to reconsider these changes and close elk hunting in the Zeniff hunt area until a fair and equitable public access agreement is established by the Elkins ranch. Such a measure would align with the Department’s commitment to managing wildlife resources in a manner that benefits all Arizonans and preserves our hunting traditions for future generations.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your response and the actions that will be taken to address these concerns.

Sincerely,

• Like 6

4 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

Theres a lot of state trust checkerboarded in there, some BLM. Technically not public, but you know what I mean, huntable not private land. 

Can someone give me a simple explanation of what state trust land means exactly ? I recently ran into a sign claiming it was state trust land and required a permit?

Also, I called Elkins last winter at Christmas time and asked permission to go coyote calling on his ranch! He gave me permission! I’ve done many carpentry jobs for him through the years!

Sounds like im gonna have to go give him a visit and see what’s going on!

I’ve been on both sides of the ranching/ farming side of the fence! I hate what has happened in unit 10 and certainly wouldn’t want that kind of nonsense in my backyard! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Can someone give me a simple explanation of what state trust land means exactly ? I recently ran into a sign claiming it was state trust land and required a permit?

Also, I called Elkins last winter at Christmas time and asked permission to go coyote calling on his ranch! He gave me permission! I’ve done many carpentry jobs for him through the years!

Sounds like im gonna have to go give him a visit and see what’s going on!

I’ve been on both sides of the ranching/ farming side of the fence! I hate what has happened in unit 10 and certainly wouldn’t want that kind of nonsense in my backyard! 

I was always under the impression that your hunting permit is the permit to access state trust legally.  

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I was always under the impression that your hunting permit is the permit to access state trust legally.  

Yup

• Like 1