Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Some 3A BS

I know we are right before the holiday and mid-season on a bunch of hunts, but there is an issue in Unit 3A that needs immediate attention.

Below is a picture of the hunt recommendations for 2024 Elk and Antelope. Included in the recommendations is a modification to the boundary description for 3A that changes the hunts or area for draw tags to that portion of the unit within the Apache Sitgreaves NF. The remainder of the unit was converted to OTC at the insistence of the ranchers in the area.

With the OTC designation, the Elkins ranch has entered into an exclusive access agreement with an outfitter who is selling OTC hunts for $10k.

This privatization of hunting and commercialization of a public resource is not in line with the North American Model and is a disservice to all hunters.

Please submit a comment to AZGFD to close elk hunting in the Zeniff hunt area until these ranches create a public access agreement similar to what other ranches in the state have done.

Submit comments to:
AZHuntGuidelines@azgfd.gov

IMG_2328.jpeg

Resized_Screenshot_20231121_175715_Instagram.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow! 1

Total BS, thanks for the heads up I'll be commenting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Who the helll is going to pay that much for about OTC elk?

But also, that is pure BS.

Lots of people...  Cost is only a deterrent for some.  Ak hunts have Bern sky rocketing for years with little to no slow down.   Hunting, in general, has gotten outrageous.  Pretty much every out of state hunt I try for, has gone up significantly in cost, but the draw odds or available slots has decreased.. 

Thanks, Andrew, for dissecting the proposals and letting us know.

I just shot off an email to the department with my disagreement in the boundary change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Lots of people...  Cost is only a deterrent for some.  Ak hunts have Bern sky rocketing for years with little to no slow down.   Hunting, in general, has gotten outrageous.  Pretty much every out of state hunt I try for, has gone up significantly in cost, but the draw odds or available slots has decreased.. 

AK hunts and OTC az hunts are just a little different...

5 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

AK hunts and OTC az hunts are just a little different...

ALL hunts..... Colorado, Utah, wyoming, North Dakota, Az Otc deer.  Opportunity is less and less, cost is more and more.  

Isnt this basically what happens on the Big B ranch in unit 10 and the Baca Float in unit 18B for otc deer hunts  and limit opp elk hunts? 

• Like 2

Big Bo is not like this yet but outfitter has tried to lock up.   It’s all about money and outfitters don’t care about anything else. 

• Like 3

What percentage of those two ranches that have been sectioned off are actually deeded land or is it all checkerboarded like the Big B?

54 minutes ago, coueswt said:

Big Bo is not like this yet but outfitter has tried to lock up.   It’s all about money and outfitters don’t care about anything else. 

The tribe charges people to access public. Granted, they are not charging $10k but they are still commercializing wildlife. 

This is very sad but true.  I was denied access last year by Carlisle and found out later on that this so called Outfitter had basically leased the access.  WTF!?

I just wrote email to the Azgfd and vented, but they are in bed with the ranchers and outfitters.  Please write to the Azgfd and voice your displeasure.  Maybe, just maybe they will do something to allow public access to OUR game animals.  Remember the game animals belong to us, not the ranchers, property owners, and outfitters!

• Like 2