Sign in to follow this  
eddielasvegas

Deadly Gila Monster Bite?

Ran into 2 of them. One just outside of Ft. Thomas and one in 36C. The one on the road by Ft. Thomas was very docile. The one in 36C was hissing at us, and it was plain it didn't want to be messed with. 

2219.jpeg

0911181744a.jpg

• Like 1

I watched one of my hounds get bit on the lower lip. From 75 yards.  He had a hold of her lip for about 10 sec. before she got it off.  She ran down the mountain , then a sand wash and 2 miles back home.  I cleaned it out and gave her some augmentin.  She was in a lot of pain for about 4 hours.  The next day she was fine.  What I understand is that its not so much the venom but that their mouth is filthy.  So infection is the main concern.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, runningbird said:

I watched one of my hounds get bit on the lower lip. From 75 yards.  He had a hold of her lip for about 10 sec. before she got it off.  She ran down the mountain , then a sand wash and 2 miles back home.  I cleaned it out and gave her some augmentin.  She was in a lot of pain for about 4 hours.  The next day she was fine.  What I understand is that its not so much the venom but that their mouth is filthy.  So infection is the main concern.   

They're also known for not letting go of the bite. So it sounds like sh was actually lucky. Oddly enough.

The common factor in both the death and the YouTube boob is STUPID. A pet ? Yeah, sure.  Anyone who’s supposedly filming dangerous creatures for a living or hobby  should know how fast they can move.  I’ve run across some that had a plumb bad arse  attitude, and were rather aggressive towards me. Neat to see, but like a limp wiener… you don’t F with it.

• Like 1

Mother in law is or was a nurse in the 80's and a boy had one as a pet, bit him on the neck. Killed him. They get lock jaw and there saliva is deadly. Like a Comono Dragon or close to.

I like the way they back under a bush then hiss at you. Thanks for sharing.

I have only seen 1 in the wild probably 20 years ago out off table mesa road in the river bottom. It was pink and black and it was pretty awesome to see. 

I was a venom researcher in a former life (genetics and evolution of Mohave rattlesnake venoms).  I always try to stay on top of some the current venom research all these years later because it still fascinates me and because I dedicated so much of my life to it.  Gila monster venom is far from toxic or lethal to humans, and its a true venom secreted from venom glands.  Years of research finally documented that for the Komodo dragons, too.  The article made sense to me when they said suspected allergic reaction to the venom.  There are so many different proteins in the various venoms that it doesn't take much to trigger that.  Anaphylactic shock is not as uncommon as people thing from all of the various venoms (rattlesnakes, spiders, scorpions, and gila monsters).  When I was younger, dumber, (supposedly invincible), and in the height of my research, I kept a sidewinder as a pet.  That was probably one of the dumbest things I've done in my life and I can promise you there is some serious competition on that list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, IA Born said:

I was a venom researcher in a former life (genetics and evolution of Mohave rattlesnake venoms).  I always try to stay on top of some the current venom research all these years later because it still fascinates me and because I dedicated so much of my life to it.  Gila monster venom is far from toxic or lethal to humans, and its a true venom secreted from venom glands.  Years of research finally documented that for the Komodo dragons, too.  The article made sense to me when they said suspected allergic reaction to the venom.  There are so many different proteins in the various venoms that it doesn't take much to trigger that.  Anaphylactic shock is not as uncommon as people thing from all of the various venoms (rattlesnakes, spiders, scorpions, and gila monsters).  When I was younger, dumber, (supposedly invincible), and in the height of my research, I kept a sidewinder as a pet.  That was probably one of the dumbest things I've done in my life and I can promise you there is some serious competition on that list.

You are correct, just confirmed I was a little off. The kid didn't die but had some severe nerve damage. Thank you for the expert info.

• Like 1

Saw my third while I was in 37B looking for a pig. This one was in a ditch where run off water went into a wash, it had its head moving from side to side, and was flicking it's tongue like a snake. I don't know if it was using it's tongue as a sensor, finding it's way, or if it was snagging bugs that I couldn't see.

IMG_20240224_123349495.jpg

• Like 2

Over the years I've probably found a couple dozen while out roaming. You would have to almost try to have one bite you.

When I was a kid a drunk field worker in Harquahala Valley died from a bite.  He had it in a gunny sack and somehow it got hold of him in the web of his hand  and wouldn't let go.  That wasn't 94  years ago but it was a long time ago and he is dead from the bite.