Crazymonkey

So how much of a pig do you take?

Out hunting  pigs last weekend  Friday and Saturday  for me . My buddy  stayed  till Sunday  and heard  a shot and came across  another  hunter with  a pig . Tells him his friends  are on pigs then boom ,boom in the draw . Up comes the other guys . They put the gun up and go to get the pig . I guess it wasn't  dead so they scurry back and get the gun and shoot some more . My buddy  is watching  this and asked  what they were shooting with. When he's  headed back the first guy is high tailing it out of there  back to camp . Found this left out there. Only the head and straps were gone . 

Is this legal?  Or a poacher. 

The same guys were in about the same spot last year .

IMG_20240225_112917505_HDR.jpg

From the regs....

“Edible portions of game meat” means, for:
Upland game birds, migratory game birds and wild turkey: breast.
Bear, bighorn sheep, bison, deer, elk, javelina, mountain lion, and pronghorn antelope: front quarters, hind quarters, loins (backstraps), neck meat, and tenderloins.

And to answer the question, I packed mine out whole. Gut in the field obviously but pack the entire Pig out. I then debone it completely turn the shoulder blades and rib bones and everything else into dog food.

• Like 1

Poor dog lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looks like the gutless method like Casey was saying. Educate yourself and look it up, it's the only way to go. 

2 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

It looks like the quarters are gone as well and someone used the gutless method. 

I don't  know  it's the only pic I got .

Looks like a good job of gutless method do me.  Only way to go if you process your own meat.  I do it on all game animals even if near a road.

Some processors get grumpy about it though.

Edible portion on a Javelina is def debatable…BUT this looks 100% like gutless method was used. They took what is required. 

• Like 1

I'll be the first to say that javelina should not be on the list of animals that you should have to take the meat out of the field in the first place. Props to them for taking what they did take. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I hadn't  seen  this  done myself.  We gut and skin them out and have chorizo  or some form of brats or sausage  made . He was asking  me and I didn't  know myself  so there is why I'm asking  . Seems  like a waste of a few good pounds of meat especially  if you've  already  skinned  the back and hopefully  removed the gland. It's not much more to just clean the rest out.

• Like 2