mattys281

Got my first coues buck!

Today was to be the last day for me, as I'm leaving on vacation next week & will miss the last weekend of season. To make a long story short, I humped in about 1 1/2 hours into the fringe country around the Superstition Wilderness area this morning w/ the intention of settin up my decoy, dispersing some scents & try to lure a coues buck w/ some blow-up doll action.... but as luck would have it, just when I reached my spot, I spotted a deer staring at me from up the hill. I tried to call him closer, but he was having none of it... According to Nikon, the distance was 78.5 yards, a little outside of my normal shooting range, but I practice out to 80 so I decided to take it. It worked! My first coues deer down.

l_457c97d139ed435aa3ff45ed4f84a19c.jpg

l_71c48cfd467f4ffbb42f409462ab3011.jpg

Congratulations on your buck and also the shot. What type of penetration did you have and what was recovery time? :)

TJ

Congratulations on your buck and also the shot. What type of penetration did you have and what was recovery time? :)

TJ

It was a neck shot & the arrow passed through. The buck flopped over in his tracks & allowed me to walk up to 20 yards & put two more in him. I can't say that I'd take that same shot again, but as it was my last day & I don't think me schedule is going to allow for an August hunt this year, I decided to make the most of the opportunity I had in front of me. I'm very thankful he didn't go far, as it was it took me almost three hours to get him back to my car. That's one of the really nice things about coues deer.... they fit neatly in a backpack w/out even having to cut them up. Got him & all my gear out in one load. Weighed the pack at home & it was just under 80 lbs. My legs would have swore it was closer to 120.....

l_b40ccccd4fc946cc971a94d66b6a5751.jpg

Hey Matt good to see you on here again! Big congrats on your first coues buck with your bow! I cant even imagine what it feels like.

Oh Yea! way to just get it done ! congrats on a great buck! And great shot!

Lance