azhuntnut

Turkey calls- What do you like?

I like adding different calls to my collection each year and try them just to see what the birds prefer. I was wondering what calls you guys prefer in certain situations? Who makes them? Box or slate. David

All of them lol. I have a vest with 3 or 4 in each pocket. 

but custom sound the best. 

ia born and little creek calls !!!!!!!

I’ll be on a 6a jr hunt and 35a goulds hunt this year. Not bad for a guy that’s a non hunter 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, oz31p said:

All of them lol. I have a vest with 3 or 4 in each pocket. 

but custom sound the best. 

ia born and little creek calls !!!!!!!

I’ll be on a 6a jr hunt and 35a goulds hunt this year. Not bad for a guy that’s a non hunter 

Thanks!  That's one of the best compliments Jacob can get!

I'm a diaphragm and pot call guy.  My diaphragm is always my go-to, especially for when they are coming in close if I'm calling for myself.  I use my pot calls just as much, especially if I'm working them into range.  I love to use my diaphragm and pot calls simultaneously to sound like two different hens.  Its very much a rub your head/pat your stomach thing, but it got easier with practice.  Every since my son started making calls, I only carry his.  I have 4 or 5 of his in my vest now, including slates with different wood, frosted glass, and copper calling surfaces.  I don't carry a box call anymore because I can't use one worth a crap.  My daughter learned to use one from an awesome box call guy and she makes fun of me when I use mine because of how horrible she says I sound.  

I have all of Little Creek Calls, I like how they are all custom made down to the pots themselves. His mouth calls are pressed and hand cut with his reciepe.

18 minutes ago, Couzer said:

I have all of Little Creek Calls, I like how they are all custom made down to the pots themselves. His mouth calls are pressed and hand cut with his reciepe.

I'm still waiting on the call I asked him to make for my 2023 hunt. 😂

• Wow! 2

I told him you hunt the same unit and are competition. Lol you're on the back burner.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I'm still waiting on the call I asked him to make for my 2023 hunt. 😂

I offered to get it done quick and bring it down to you but you ordered it after you had already killed your bird last year and told me you wouldn't need it for quite a while.

• Like 1

Another vote for Little Creek Calls. They are well made, have great sound, and it's always nice to support someone local.

• Like 1

A box call  by Little Creek. Made on 4-20-14 and I bought it when Ammon did a seminar I believe at Sportsmans in Mesa. He had a few on the table and I liked the sound of this one.

• Like 1

Watching AZ Wildlife Views right now which is a show aired in 2021 that has an interview with Ammon. 

• Like 1

Do you make box calls also, I would love one to go with my new hand made slate call. Let me know.

I have seen few calls I don't like.  I have never been able to master glass or aluminum friction calls -- seems like it always takes a few errant calls before I get it to work.  Even though I prefer the box call the best (loudest), you must learn to use a mouth diaphragm call so that you can use entice the gobbler those last few yards with minimum movement.  The mouth diaphragm takes some practice but it's worth it.  

1 hour ago, Big Tub said:

seems like it always takes a few errant calls before I get it to work

I condition every call in my vest and clean the striker tips each night before I hunt the following morning. I also clean and apply new chalk to all my box calls. I also use a new mouth diaphragm each morning so I don't have to deal with stuck reeds. With the price of mouth calls these days I don't expect many people do this but I make my own so they are cheap for me. Before I started making them I would put them in the refrigerator at night and use paper clips to separate the reeds. 

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and couldn't believe what people are charging for mouth calls, crazy. 

• Like 1