Sign in to follow this  
Big Tub

game bird "pursuit" off-season

I was reading some replies to some newbie hunter questions that using birddogs in the field is illegal in off-season.  Well, "Show Me" book, chapter and verse in the regulations.  Now I agree, especially for Mearns which are not doing that well right now, it is a bad idea; but I want to see it in black and white and not someone's opinion.  

Following a rather extensive search, I did find something specific that you are not allowed to harass birds on the nest, but could find nothing really pertinent.  And for all you "Karens" out there, unless you can provide a reference, don't bother.  Feel free to start your own discussion on the merits of not using dogs in the field during off-season.    

• Like 2

I think it’s more like an unwritten rule. 

-Karen

• Haha 1

Any time I take my dog out and we see a dove, she freezes and waits for the gun shot. Even when we're doing this....

20240407_095342.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure how a WM might interrupt A.R.S. 17-101 and the definition of. “Take” means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or placing or using any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in capturing or killing wildlife.

There is definitely a season on upland game birds so if a WM came across you out in the field with your bird dogs "pursuing" any of the game birds out of season I guess he could try and write you a citation for the "take" of such wildlife out of season.  I think it would be a very far stretch especially if you didn't have a weapon like a shotgun with you.

AZ Game and fish bans walking your dog. 
/sarc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My little lab puts in 100% effort on the pheasants and partridge year round up here in ND.  She gets a 2 mile hike every day, the same stuff I walk when I’m pheasant hunting in the fall.  Pheasants have her figured out and just sneak out before she gets there now.  Need a new crop of dumb ones as we killed all the dumb ones last fall/winter.  You can’t tell someone they can’t walk a dog on a place where they can legally walk a dog and you can’t tell a dog not to get birdy and flush a bird.  

• Like 2

My Lab does the same thing, she doesn't walk she hunts the whole time.  Wish we had pheasant's here!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, twistzz said:

My Lab does the same thing, she doesn't walk she hunts the whole time.  Wish we had pheasant's here!

Quail are 1000x better than pheasants.  Big smelly ugly invasive birds.  My dog loves to chase em or I’d only shoot them out the window of the pickup.  I’ve never understood people who travel all the way to the Dakotas in the fall to shoot 3 roosters and be done for the day.  That being said, I was raised here and they are what I’m used to.  Some people probably think I’m crazy for traveling to chase elk!

42 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Quail are 1000x better than pheasants.  Big smelly ugly invasive birds.  My dog loves to chase em or I’d only shoot them out the window of the pickup.  I’ve never understood people who travel all the way to the Dakotas in the fall to shoot 3 roosters and be done for the day.  That being said, I was raised here and they are what I’m used to.  Some people probably think I’m crazy for traveling to chase elk!

Do you take visitors, can we come visit??? I would love to go on an actual pheasant hunt!!! Also, what can we do after we shoot the 3 roosters? Coyote calling right!!! I ain't joking either......

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Do you take visitors, can we come visit??? I would love to go on an actual pheasant hunt!!! Also, what can we do after we shoot the 3 roosters? Coyote calling right!!! I ain't joking either......

Haha.  Ducks, cranes and geese is where it’s at!!  Pheasants are time fillers!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So your saying if your walking your dog in the woods and you have no weapon and the dog chases a game bird they can write you. I'm saying the game and fish is saying. Goodluck.