Had a great trip with some buddies over to NM last month. This is my 2nd Oryx first one was a bull and this one was a cow. The costs have increased and I figured they looked enough alike I didn't care if it was a bull or cow. 

Few years ago bull 

1374029117_0228201814a2_Original.thumb.jpeg.1884c831e5ef8eb221562102e9fe0709.jpeg

Last months cow

Oryx.thumb.jpeg.9c6b08684882a7d18ce1b56069608d63.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Love 2

Great stuff! Congratulations!

I have the same tag (timeframe) for next year.

I remember you posting your bull before.

Those are some beautiful animals, congrats!

I've never applied out of state, how many years does it take to draw a tag and what do they run? Just curious, thanks.  

Well done, cool to have one of each sex to see just how different they are up close. I'm looking forward to the year i draw a tag

Follow up question. Other then a sack and nuts how do you identify male vs female? Horn bases look very similar in size and so do the markings.  

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Those are some beautiful animals, congrats!

I've never applied out of state, how many years does it take to draw a tag and what do they run? Just curious, thanks.  

I think it’s $1650 or something for a tag. NM doesn’t have points so odds never get better. Depending on what hunt you do you have around a 1-3% chance at drawing a tag  on average I believe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Follow up question. Other then a sack and nuts how do you identify male vs female? Horn bases look very similar in size and so do the markings.  

They look similar, not the same. 

A-lot like identifying a boar or sow with bears, the more you look over and hunt them the more you can identify cow vs. bull. 

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, they are cool looking and the best wild game I've ever had. Not a drop of gamey flavor in any portion of the meat. Pretty crazy looking at the country they live in and what they eat. 

The bull was just over 36" and the cow was a little under 40" on the long horn. 

Bulls carry mass all the way up, but it can still be very difficult to tell on that alone. You have to watch mannerisms etc....

2 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Thanks everyone, they are cool looking and the best wild game I've ever had. Not a drop of gamey flavor in any portion of the meat. Pretty crazy looking at the country they live in and what they eat. 

Bulls carry mass all the way up, but it can still be very difficult to tell on that alone. You have to watch mannerisms etc....

The one in the bottom picture looks much older…..the gentleman that is 😂nice job amigo 👊

10 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Thanks for talking about the meat. I was going to ask you how they taste. Cool and congrats.

well done Houston. again.

and yes i am still jealous.

I will second his opinion on the meat. oryx is hands down the best game i have ever eaten. 

On 4/25/2024 at 1:22 PM, Markleo21377 said:

The one in the bottom picture looks much older…..the gentleman that is 😂nice job amigo 👊

Ouch!