Sign in to follow this  
baloo27

Getting screwed by San Carlos?

Anyone else getting screwed by the San Carlos? 
So years ago we used to hunt bears without guides on the San Carlos (I’m sure many of you remember these days). But then the tribe changed the rules that you had to have a tribal guide and they raised the tag’s to about $1500.  Obviously a lot of people quit hunting it because of the new rules. Well if you been to any of the rivers over the last couple of years the bear population is insane! So this year they opened it back up to hunting without a tribal guide and they lowered the bear tags down to $600. It was a first come first serve basis. My buddy and I got our apps in and last week they called us saying we were successful in getting tags, they let us pick our unit, all good 👍🏼. A week goes by and we noticed they never charged our cards. So we made a follow up call. Then we were informed that the Director changed his mind and “first come first serve” now means that people hiring tribal guides get the tags first, so they took our tags back and said never mind. It doesn’t say that anywhere on their website. So obviously my buddy and I were pretty heated. We were excited about our tags. So we called them on their bs, well that upset the “Director” enough that he told us he would put us on the “blacklist” so we could never hunt again on the San Carlos. The San Carlos is known for this bs, they wouldn’t let Turkey hunters hunt during Covid and wouldn’t refund their money. The Director is a crook! They can go ahead and put me on the “blacklist” cause I’ll never give them another dime!

• Haha 2
  • Wow! 3

Wow! This is crazy but doesn’t surprise me. 

• Like 2

Yes, I bought a yearly $5 habitat stamp with my 1 day fishing license in person. Then I went to buy another daily fishing license online weeks later and it wouldn’t let me check out unless I bought the $5 habitat stamp again. Those bastards 

• Haha 3

If it's the same guy,  he did show me trail cam photos of a 490" typical several years ago. 

Those reservations are one step above a third world country, with similar corrupt governments that do as they please. They are sovereign so there is no oversight but at the same time they are backed by the U.S. governments money. On top of that, they are some of the most greedy people on the planet that will screw people over to make a quick buck without thinking about the money they will lose in the future. They are lucky they have big money hunters that are willing to pay for those elk tags or they'd all have starved to death by now. The director, Tim Stevens, is a worthless piece of trash, that as you learned just runs things as he pleases and makes up rules as he goes. BUT they know there's enough people that are willing to play their game to get to hunt there so they don't really care.

• Like 5

Rez=Mexico, that being said it's a different country over there and they do as they please. They claim everything there is fair chase, this is not fair chase. I feel for you and would be upset as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coues247 said:

Those reservations are one step above a third world country, with similar corrupt governments that do as they please. They are sovereign so there is no oversight but at the same time they are backed by the U.S. governments money. On top of that, they are some of the most greedy people on the planet that will screw people over to make a quick buck without thinking about the money they will lose in the future. They are lucky they have big money hunters that are willing to pay for those elk tags or they'd all have starved to death by now. The director, Tim Stevens, is a worthless piece of trash, that as you learned just runs things as he pleases and makes up rules as he goes. BUT they know there's enough people that are willing to play their game to get to hunt there so they don't really care.

A lot of what you just said rings true for Utah and SFW.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Chef said:

A lot of what you just said rings true for Utah and SFW.

I agree with that. It's just much more prevalent on reservations. 

• Like 1

Years ago when I owned my MATCO tool business I was in globe area for 2 days a week. The golf course kept calling me to go out there so finally I did. Cost me about $8500, they never paid.

• Wow! 1

Playing devil's advocate here from the tribe's perspective I think it kind of makes sense to bring the extra money for the hunts with guides but to be fair it should definitely be laid out very clearly in the verbiage.  I would be pissed too.

The rez is like las vegas, if you are a vip you get special privileges.  If you are not, your money is nice but just okay and they will bump you for a vip.   

44 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Playing devil's advocate here from the tribe's perspective I think it kind of makes sense to bring the extra money for the hunts with guides but to be fair it should definitely be laid out very clearly in the verbiage.  I would be pissed too.

Shut tf up Kev. They're crooks. "It MaKEs SeNsE tO SCreW PeOplE OveR tO MaKe EXtrA MonEY" drrrrrrr

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Coues247 said:

Shut tf up Kev. They're crooks. "It MaKEs SeNsE tO SCreW PeOplE OveR tO MaKe EXtrA MonEY" drrrrrrr

I'm amused you think life is fair.  Sovereign nation so they can do what they want, at least they didn't take the ops money.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1