Sign in to follow this  
Ernesto C

Feral hog/Russian wild boar in 36C?

While hunting javelina this past weekend in 36C, I found this carcass(sp) and found this skull that I thought - man what a huge javelina! this got to be the #1 world record!! - But after a closer observation, come to the conclusion that it has to be some kind of wild boar becuase the tusks come out to the sides and then go up. Also the size of the skull compared to the one on a javelina is way bigger!

On the next pictures you'll see a B&C javelina skull, you can see that the size compared to the one we found is way to small. What do you guys think? Does any one know what is this? Are there any wild hogs in 36C?

Thanks ...........Ernesto C

DSCN3293.jpg

DSCN3291.jpg

I have heard of feral hogs in the 36's on the refuge, but have never seen them personally.

The skull is definately from a feral hog, but is that a bullet hole in its skull? I found a skull like that around Flagstaff 2 years and it had a bullet hole in its skull most likely from someone who brought the pig out there to kill it and butcher it.

Congrats on the find Ernesto, is it possible that someone shot it from a distance thinking it was a Javelina and then when they seen it they did not know the laws and left it where it lay. Any other sign around, and how far away was it for someone to go to shoot it just to butcher it.

Yes Keith, that what I was thinking, why would some body bother to bring the boar all the way here were the closest road is about 2 miles?

I have being hunting 36C for ever and have never seen a hog there.

Ernesto C

could be feral, recently, or maybe from a breading population. I found this skull, a lot like yours back in high school and ran into some feral pigs nearby later that year. They almost seemed to tame and thought they could have just gotten lose, homes weren't to far away, but there were two adults and two babies. The adults were about the size of a small javelina though. this was south of tucson

post-1770-1234316583_thumb.jpg

Yes Keith, that what I was thinking, why would some body bother to bring the boar all the way here were the closest road is about 2 miles?

I have being hunting 36C for ever and have never seen a hog there.

Ernesto C

Ernesto, I totally agree. I have been hunting 36C for years and even lived there in the 90's and have never seen a Ferrel hog. I have never heard of any one even mentioning a wild hog population in 36C. I cant see were someone would take the hog all the way out there to butcher it as well. They would pass lots of country were they could do that.........why go all the way out there.

I think it is a VERY interesting find. Raises a lot of questions. I don't even know of any of the ranches in 36C that raise pigs. I don't even have a guess on this one. I would lean toward someone taking it out there to slaughter but I just don't know. Very interesting.

Do the indians raise hogs?? maybe it came from the reservation? I know Texas is a long way :unsure:

Ernesto C

Do the indians raise hogs?? maybe it came from the reservation? I know Texas is a long way :unsure:

Ernesto C

I don't know if the Indians raise hogs. I know hogs are unpredictable creatures but I don't see why they would go all the way to the top of the Baboquivari mountains on the reservation side then back down on our side. I guess they would do it if they were chasing feed or water.

Any how it is a great find. I will have to keep my eyes open for some living, breathing one the next time I am out there.

Oh ya and they may be from Texas. They probably got tired of all those Texans bragin all the time and said thats it were out of here.

Nice find , were there any more bones about ? That bullet hole looks to me like execution style , maybe someone hauled a hog head in there as bait for lion or coyote .

Wild hogs are where you find them and a wild hog can run over a mountain before you can empty your gun and reload . Ive seen em do it .

Hunterdude beat me to it, I knew someone was going to say it.

--Bill

I wouldn't think a feral hog would have that large of teeth. A russian boar would but watching hunting shows the feral hogs look like normal pigs.