If you could have any unit in the state.hunt any time a year.but you could only hunt 1 week.what week of the year would you pick to get that buck of a life time?? hunt with a bow or a rifle? I would take a bow 1st week of oct.still hot but the monsoon rains have stopped.water hole hunting at its best"taking pictures that is" unit 22 or 23 would be hard to choose.

Well, i know some hot spots in unit 30A during the rut for both coues and mule deer. I would hunt the fist weekend to the second weekend of January, guaranteeing a great buck if i had a rifle. I've seen a lot of big bucks during this time of the year but i don't get as many oppurtunities to shoot at these big guys with my bow because they are so far away.

Creed

Third week in January, Unit 29 only with archery equip.

Brian

I will have to agree with 29 in Jan. for archery coues and unit 10 Dec. with a rifle for muleys.

TREESTANDMAN, you are hilarious!!!

I would have to say around the 2nd week of December in units 21 or 22. Hopefully having already done my homework checking for new scrape lines and rub lines I would already have my stand locations set. I would hope that with the pre-rut action I might catch a buck checking his scrapes to see if any ladies had left him a treat. I could be crazy but I'd really like to try this theory one of these days.

Josh

Guest Ernesto C

Couesblues, don't leave us there,what happened after that 100 inch buck at 40 yards? By the way welcome to the coolest web site you are going to like here we got so much diversity that you will love it.

Ernesto C,

TREESTANDMAN, you are hilarious!!! 

I would have to say around the 2nd week of December in units 21 or 22.  Hopefully having already done my homework checking for new scrape lines and rub lines I would already have my stand locations set.  I would hope that with the pre-rut action I might catch a buck checking his scrapes to see if any ladies had left him a treat.  I could be crazy but I'd really like to try this theory one of these days.

Josh

This brings up a sore subject with me. Why do we have to have the same dates, the hunts, the same units every freaking year? Why can't the G&F mix up the hunt dates like the Archery deer hunts or hunt units like the late ML'er Elk hunts in 6a? The rifle hunts always start the last weekend of October, the late hunts always start the second week of December, The late ML'er deer hunts are always in unit 35 and the 40's. Why are there no early archery hunts in unit 37B, yet they issue 100's of rifle tags.

Everytime they ask for comments I ask them to give us a little variety. Yet no response.

Anyway, back to the subject. I would take a late season Kaibab tag once then a unit 33, last week of December rifle tag for Coues.

Ernesto,

That buck now hangs proudly on my wall.

You can see him on Archery page 6. He's the very wide and heavy 3x4 (including eye-guards)