hoghntr

****NOT MY HERO****

Thanks guys and for those who think I was supposedly bragging about how great I am,read how many times the word LUCK and HUMILITY play in my article...so please I am so done with this...I will pull my login asap and you will never hear from the bad guy again..

post-3204-1246559281.jpg

Tree rat vs Desert Rat, since I'm a half breed I guess I can't take sides or really be accepted by either. It's funny, in my family history going back to the late 1800's the Tree rats were the educators, builders, farmers and yes hunters in this state. The Desert rat side were miners, ranchers, farmers and yes hunters. Who were more old school and closer to the land? Both. I don't know if I should be offended by both sides, just one or neither in that debate. I'll just smile it off but that's a large stretch either way to try and win this debate.

Magazine articals are all a bunch of BS anyway, even the super hero's in the national mags's stories are elaborated beyond reality. I don't think this is a suprise.

There were other hunts that were praised on here with animals that the hunt unit was known, they were right to be praised, no offence taken.

It's the level of venom that is directed back and forth from guys I really like that aren't named Nate, that is concerning. If some venom comes my way for saying anything so be it, I'm part rattler also so won't hurt me. :P

You Tree rats better go to Vegas or something this weekend, us Desert rats are coming up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have a great weekend all and a safe 4th.

Kent

here is the map in question...shown almost the actual size of 2" from that article..you all be the judge of public opinion...

If that is the map from the article...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its way too revealing :lol: :P I dont see how anyone could get mad over a map like this.......there has to be something more to it

here is something everyone can look at...http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_24a.shtml

congrats on your buck NLACOST! (stay on the forums dont let a few people run you off)

p.s although if I shot a world record animal I would not tell anyone where I shot it :lol: :rolleyes:

Guest 300ultramag.
First of all, Great deer Nate. Next, as you have learned, when people kill truly giant deer it causes extreme jealousy among other hunters that fancy themselves as the best. They think to themselves"how could this lucky rookie kill a bigger deer than me" and hence they will try to degrade you and the buck to make up for the fact that they know they will never kill a buck as big as yours and therefore will never get the attention that you have. Every serious hunter knows the amount of luck involved in killing a WR deer.

As far as the map is concerned, what a friggin joke. That little map showing nothing but a little highlighted spot will do nothing. If the locals really think that there unit is ruined because of that map they needed to find some better spots anyway. Like I said it all goes back to pure jealousy. They needed a way to unleash on you and the map is the excuse. Jeez, lets lynch Duane Adams while we are at it. He disclosed a heck of alot more in his book that that stupid little map did. Everybody and their friggin brother knows where the the Orazco(sp?) and King buck came from and those units are only damaged by the number of tags that are issued. Sure as heck ain't the Non-Res flood thinking they are going to kill a WR. You jealous people need to take look in the mirror and ask yourselves why you are really pissed off at Nate. Is it because of the map or is really something else?

Your jealousy references are completely off.

I dont care if it was an 80 inch 3x3. or a 2x2 or a spike...... When you take someone to a spot...... and the next year you see that FRIEND with his buds......... and the next year you see his buds friends......... and so on... You get bent.... and to say you wouldnt means your a liar! Well this guy just sped up that process 10 fold... I make my friends turn off their GPS if I take them to one of my spots and I havent killed anything bigger then a 3x3...

Historically and Statistically the next record IS NOT going to come out of this unit, I know this...... but people dont get that.... They see stars and they will wear the he!l out of this spot.... oh well such is life........... but next time bro. keep your mouth tight...... Im not saying im gonna hate this guy to all eternity but he needs to know when he wrongs a handful of his peers!

I still didnt see any kind of stars or annotation as to the exact location...other than the unit...which AGAIN I DIDNT HAVE ANY SAY SO IN THE PUBLISHING.....

I shot a monster bull in Unit 9 with my bow! If anyone needs info on where unit 9 is, shoot me a pm and I'll draw you a map.

All kidding aside, That's a really nice buck!!!

The only secrets in AZ are atleast 2 hours from a truck. Doubt the out-of-staters will bother you there.

Only time will tell, but I guessed I'd be pretty bummed too if I like to hunt the unit.

oh great, unit 9 will never be the same now...how will you ever live with yourself...bah ha ah haha.

before i had my first cup of coffee i though i had logged into monster carp deer.com...ba ha ha ah

AZMEAT...'IT ALL ABOUT THE MEAT"

Guest 300ultramag.
I still didnt see any kind of stars or annotation as to the exact location...other than the unit...which AGAIN I DIDNT HAVE ANY SAY SO IN THE PUBLISHING.....

My anger stems from hearing that specific deer and you referenced with that mountain range at 2 of my local archery shops... and at the shooting range multiple times.........from people I dont even know! Its no......... secret you spilled the beans long before the article.......... that is why my reference to your hunt swap being smelly.....

As Allen would say in The Hangover, you sir are not in my Wolf Pack..... good riddance

I almost spit when I saw there was a MAP

Quoting myself above

You're right, that is not a map, it is a picture of Arizona.

Seems like the guys who are pissed, are the guys who have seen this before.

Remember what Hirsch did to Black River? :angry: The next year they frickin graded the road and put in picnic tables!!!!

Learn from the experience, most of us have done the same, myself included ( NOT with WR!) and regret it to this day.

Low pressure hunting is priceless in Az, keeping just one hunter out of your "area" can mean all the difference.

Just let 'em find their own spots. Lots of country out there

I've seen lifelong hunting buddies turn into mortal enemies over deer or "secret" spot, I can think of 6 off the top of my head (4 cw members already :ph34r: )

Nate, Great deer, always will be, regardless. Stick around, we'll still be talkin about this buck in 10 yrs

Matt Woodward

The funniest thing is this reminds me of a young mother telling everyone their revelation on children now they have one. :rolleyes: No one's ever been through this before. :lol: It was common in my GF's day, my Dad's day, when I was young, all the way to today. This is nothing I haven't experienced in my 40 yrs of hunting at least every other year to one of my "secret spots", which have been hunted since time unending if there were animals there by someone. It's just amusing now, like listening to the young mother who knows all there is about children and how theirs will be special. Walking away nodding my head, sure/sure.

Kent

hello - take it from an ole fart - we been all over different parts of this state 30 yrs ago - just like some of you are doing now - we killed a lot of good quality bucks over the years - so in our eyes your all rookies and beginners if you haven't been doing it for 25 yrs.

Some guys get lucky their first time out - some hunt a lifetime and never score big - some brag more than others and some never say a word. Thats just the way of things - I've had guys tell me my 119 wht-tail -my avatar - wasnt killed in Arizona = no way they dont get that big - that was 20 yrs ago - unit 21 - horseshoe lake - go get 'em it's all up hill -you gotta pack'm out - theres no finding me beside a road with a deer that aint fielddressed - i got no day pack - water - no binocs. - etc. sorry -

I posted my buck a while back - favorite taxidermist or something - anyway - NOT one single person made a comment on how nice a buck it was- - go figure - guess you gotta be in with the crowd - they were drowling over little 100-108 bucks ? anyway -

time will pass - bigger bucks will be taken - this guy had to pass those gene's on to others - they are out there - hope everyone but some of the guys for 21 dec. hunt get drawn and those that 've had tags for last 2-3 yrs don't get drawn -

Enjoy your future- lots of hunting trips to go !

i'd like to add one comment - -one trip a couple of guys beat me into my spot on opening day - i was kinda ticked off but hey they got there first - i moved over a hill and walked into a nice buck that now hangs on my wall- i never hunted that spot ever - walked by it dozens of times to get to my spot - - bigger bucks can be found on the other side of the hill- you'll never know if you don't go look !!- -- Gary

i guess the information below is private right.

somebody better call game and fish and let them know someone leaked the info out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME BUCK.....STOP CRYING AND BACKSTABBING!!!!!

GLAD I AM NOT A TROPHY HUNTER THE MENTALITY REALLY MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE!!!!!

Game Management Unit 24A

Updated August 2008

Additional Hunting Unit Report pages

- Region I - Pinetop

- Region IV - Yuma

- Region II - Flagstaff

- Region V - Tucson

- Region III - Kingman

- Region VI - Mesa

Species within this unit:Javelina, Mule Deer, White-tailed Deer, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Elk, Cottontail Rabbit, Tree Squirrel , Quail

Unit Boundaries

Beginning on AZ Hwy 177 in Superior; southeasterly on AZ Hwy 177 to the Gila River; northeasterly along the Gila River to the San Carlos Indian Reservation boundary; easterly,

westerly and northerly along the reservation boundary to the Salt River; southwesterly along the Salt River to AZ Hwy 288; southerly on AZ Hwys 288 and 88 to U.S. Hwy 60; southwesterly on U.S. Hwy 60 to AZ Hwy 177.

The major mountain ranges within 24A include the Dripping Springs Mountains and the Mescal Mountains in the southern portion of the unit, the Pinal Mountains south of Globe, the Apache Mountains north of Globe, and the Timber Camp

Mountains northeast of Globe. The northern portion of the unit, from the Dripping Springs Road north, is a mix of private property and Tonto National Forest land. The southern portion

of the unit is a mix of State Trust Land, BLM land, and private property.

Species Information back to top

Javelina

Overview: Unit 24A boasts a healthy javelina population

unit-wide. Each year, the Department offers an archery-only javelina hunt during the month of January, a primitive weapons hunt (handgun, archery, muzzleloader only) hunt in February, and a general hunt in February. Javelina populations have sustained themselves quite nicely in 24A and the unit provides an excellent opportunity for some successful javelina hunting.

Areas: Huntable javelina can be found throughout the unit with the exception of the top of the Pinal Mountains south of Globe. The best way to hunt javelina is to find a high spot where you can see lots open desert hillsides in the mornings

and evenings. Glass for javelina on south or west facing slopes and sunny bottomlands early in the morning when javelina are trying to warm themselves. Keep the wind in your face and move reasonably slow when you get within a couple of hundred yards, and you should have no problem getting within range for a shot.

To access some of the better javelina hunting in 24A you can check out some of the following areas: Dripping Springs Wash: To access this area turn west/northwest on the dripping springs wash road off of Hwy 77 about 15 miles south of Globe. There are lots of open desert ridges in

this area that lend themselves well to glassing.

Horseshoe Bend: Take the Wheatfield’s exit east of Forest Road 219 to the east off of old Hwy 88 just past the HE Ranch. This access route cuts across private property

so you must sign in and out. FR 219 junctions with FR 220, which travels to Richmond Basin and FR 223, that leads to Shute Springs. Both these areas have javelina and good open slopes for glassing. 7-Mile Wash: There are fewer javelina

in 7-Mile Wash in relation to other areas in the unit but the area still provides a good hunting opportunity. To access this area go north of Globe on Hwy 60 to Forest Road 303. The low rolling hills on both sides of this road in 7-Mile, all the way to the Salt River can hold javelina. El Capitan: Forest Roads 1036, 527, and 2670 have great open slopes to Glass javelina. Explore both sides of Hwy 77, south of Globe.

Mule Deer

Overview: Similar to mule deer population in most of Arizona, the Unit 24A mule deer population has been in decline since the mid 1990s. Mule deer are found scattered in the lower elevation areas of 24A, so be aware that white-tailed deer also occur with mule deer in this unit, so be sure of your

target before you shoot.

Areas: A popular place to find mule deer is in the 7-Mile Wash Road area (Forest Road 303) at the north end of the Apache Mountains. Glass the lower elevation rolling hills for mule deer.

Mule deer can also be found in the Dripping Springs wash area. To access this area one can turn west/northwest off State Route 77 about 15 miles south of Globe onto the Dripping Springs Road. Find a good high point and use your

binoculars and you might just find a wily old mule deer buck lurking in this area. Another good area for mule deer is off the Horseshoe Bend Road (FR 219) on the west side of the

Apache Mountains. Take the Old Hwy 88 from Hwy 188 north of Globe across Pinal Creek and past the HE Ranch to the 219 Road. FR 219 junctions with FR 220 that travels to Richmond Basin and FR 223 that leads to Shute Springs, both areas

with mule deer and good open slopes for glassing. Access to these areas is provided across private property so you must sign in and out as you cross private property. Other mule

deer areas are the various Forest Roads that run east from US Hwy 60 north of Globe but be aware of the nearby San Carlos Indian Reservation Boundary as hunting on tribal land is not permitted with a Arizona Game and Fish permit.

For a hunter that wants a big buck and is horseback or willing to do some strenuous hiking, the hills above the Salt River in the north part of the unit are accessed from FR 303 (7-Mile), the Horseshoe Bend Rd (FR 219), and FR 473 (Regal Canyon).

NOTE: F.R. 360 near Timber Camp Campground is CLOSED.

White-tailed Deer

Over view: Within the past couple of years, whitetail deer have been increasing as a whole in the state and the unit has its opportunities for harvest. Several bucks scoring over 90 inches have been killed in 24A over the last several years.

Areas: The best whitetail hunting in 24A, but with high hunter concentrations is found in the Pinal Mountains. There are significantly more bucks in the area and high scoring deer were seen during this year's deer surveys. The area is rugged and steep and the whitetails are seen primarily in the drainages below the mountain summit. A lot of glassing along with some patience will reveal the deer. To access the Pinal Mountains, use FR 651 to Sulphide Del Ray and Pinal Peak or FR 112 to Pioneer Pass. Whitetails are found on all slopes of the Pinals but glassing is difficult on the north side due to thick conifer and chaparral. However, many a hunter has been

successful by tracking and stalking white-tail on the north side of the Pinal Mountains.

The high mountain elevation areas of the Dripping Springs Mountains located south of Dripping Springs road and the south slopes of the Pinal Mountains north of the Dripping

Springs road hold good populations of whitetail deer and provide excellent hunting opportunities. There are many roads that run north and south along the ridges that accessing

these areas. Forest Roads 248 and 899 are two-trackers leading to the north of Dripping Springs road, and both of those will take you to good deer areas. Any of these roads are likely to lead you to whitetail deer. It is possible to

drive from Dripping Springs road thru Pioneer Basin all the way to Pinal Peak, although the road has been washed out and an OHV would be needed. Be aware that mule deer also occur in these areas; so be sure of your target before

you shoot.

North of Globe, whitetails mostly occur north of Timber Camp Mountain. Forest Roads 2334, 360 and 304 access this high elevation grassland and chaparral habitat where whitetail deer have been increasing in numbers. Another area is off the

Horseshoe Bend Road (FR 219) on the west side of the Apache Mountains. Take the Old Hwy 88 from Hwy 188 north of Globe across Pinal Creek and past the HE Ranch to the 219 Road. FR 219 junctions with FR 220, which travels to Richmond

Basin and FR 223, that leads to Shute Springs. Both these areas have whitetail and good open slopes for glassing. Travel by foot or horseback to access the upper slopes of the Apache Mountains for a better chance at a larger whitetail buck. Access to these areas is provided across private property so you must sign in and out as you cross private property. NOTE: F.R. 360 near Timber Camp Campground is