azcoues

photo radar ticket

You know as well as we all do that 90% of the drivers out there are speeding, if only a few MPH over the posted.. And those who aren't are generally the ones causing the delays and backup by slowing traffic down, generally in the lanes they shouldn't be in..

That is a good point you bring up. You are right on the money as well. I hate the flippin' freeways down in the valley.

Scotty's right! It is dangerous going the speed limit.

Bob

This is Big Brother using cameras to "make things safer"!

Com'on guys, don't you want to give up your rights to make things SAFER!

These things are hazards, all they do is make drivers slow down and then speed up again. If these things were effective, you can bet that the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia would use them, but they don't. Traffic in Kalifornia is so precarious, the traffic engineers don't want to mess it up anymore than it already is.

What a bunch of crap! I saw a stat on the news that said of the hundreds of thousands of photo radar tickets that have been mailed out, only 20% were paid.

I got one in March at I-17 and Indian School doing 66mph. That is where the speed limit is 65 and drops to 55 right before the camera. I did a lot of research and here is a summary:

By AZ Revised Statutes, you have the right to be personally served. When you get the letter, they give three options, all of which include your signature. When you sign any of the options, you wave your right to be personally served. They don't tell you that you have a fourth option, which is to do nothing.

There are two judges in Maricopa County that automatically throw out all photo radar tickets.

They might serve you, but probably not. If they do, it only adds $26 to the fine.

If they say that you have been served, but you were actually not served, things could get messy. Keep checking this link to make sure that they are not saying that you have been served.

http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/

The statue of limitations for this expires after 120 days, so you can completely forget about it after then.

The second letter I received was very threatening. My wife read it and freaked out. But if you read through all the legal mubo jumbo, all it really says is that if you don't respond, they might come and serve you. My 120 days expired and I have heard nothin else about it.

I was on the 101 last week doing 65 in a 65 zone and the evil red flash took my picture. I'm still waiting to see what all that was about.

Two things I am considering to do: Put a President Hussein mask on every time a drive by a camera. The other is to duck before it flashes, I'd love to see a picture of my truck driving itself down the freeway!

Here are a few more links that maybe helpful:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2671.asp

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfev..._enforcemen.php

Mark

And those who aren't are generally the ones causing the delays and backup by slowing traffic down, generally in the lanes they shouldn't be in..

I guess I am in the minority here but I will continue to drive the speed limit, BTW if you drive a diesel you will get better fuel economy. ;)

I do try to pull over when someone is speeding up behind me when I am in the high speed lane. :)

thats some good info there bowsniper but you would probably get pulled over for wearing a ski mask from other motorist calling in thinking you robbed a place maybe smudge some mud on your plates before you drive interstates will work also just dont get in front of a squad car LOL.

I do try to pull over when someone is speeding up behind me when I am in the high speed lane. :)

You are definately in the minority. I do that also just because I can't stand being tailgated. It pisses me off when no one else does it though in return. That is just common courtesy. I am from a small town and moved to the "Big City" 10 years ago. I am still amazed at just how selfish and rude people are here. I guess it's mostly the out of staters that moved here for the cheaper housing. I have neighbors I have never met in 10 years! Most people in this valley can care less about there fellow American especially on the road ways. I hate it here mostly because of that and the heat will melt you skin on a normal day. I only live here because I have to for work. Now big brother is trying to take my picture around every corner and stick me with a bogus ticket. I haven't got one yet but when I do I am going to mail it back in a ziplock bag full of poo ;)

Here is an ironic ending for me regarding this topic. So I have received a "few" ;) of these photo radar things in the mail. I though they were just a nice city service to provide some nice head shots for posterity so they got neatly filed in my personal records bin (ie waste basket). Well, then the city was kind enough to send over to my house this nice gentleman you all have referred to, to tell me this head shot service is only free for the first, I don't know 5 or so, but then there is a fee involved and that I should mail this fee in. So I reluctantly agreed to pay it, eventhough I didn't really want or agree to my headshots, afterall I didn't want to seem unappreciative and offend the City.

Well the part I thought you all would be interested to hear is that the judge who works for the city I guess really liked me cause he sent me a letter back with the check in tote stating that my fee (err, ticket) had been dismissed as I had requested (I guess he requested this for me). I thought he just really liked me but then I saw that there was a BIG list of other people's names he liked that he included in this case to try and relieve the City from this "head shot" service they are providing.

By the way Az Hunter, I agree with your perception with the "Big City" and I was born and raised in this Big City. It is sad to see the disconnection between everyone. I would love to be living in an Arizona small town if I could keep my wife happy there, without the aid of the Mailman! :o

By the way Az Hunter, I agree with your perception with the "Big City" and I was born and raised in this Big City. It is sad to see the disconnection between everyone. I would love to be living in an Arizona small town if I could keep my wife happy there, without the aid of the Mailman! :o

AMEN on that......... :P

Well I kinda got served today! A guy served my 12 year old step son. Not sure if this is valid for a couple reasons. 1. The age of my stepson. 2. Today is day 122 from the date of the citation!

Any thoughts

OK, I have one for you. Suppose, and of course this is PURELY HYPOTHETICAL :ph34r: :huh: ...

Your truck is stolen in the valley, then on you're way home through Payson in a rental car, you forget to slow down at the Star Valley photo radar and see the bulb flick. What are the chances that the photo-radar geenies would figure out who was driving the rental car? What if a ticket magically appeared in your mailbox for a rented car? Can they track a rental??? Just asking out of curiosity :huh:

AMEN on that......... :P

Awe come on guys.... :rolleyes: .... moving to a small town doesn't mean that you are destined to lose your wife.... :rolleyes: .... although many have complained that they lost their turn. :wacko: <_< :lol: :lol: :P :lol:

I am soo kidding... :blink: ...it is a small town joke that we talk about, but truely, I'd worry more about that in the city than in a small town..... it is just that in small towns you here about it and everything else you don't care to know about folks.... :rolleyes: :lol:

Jason,

Let us know if they figure you out as the driver on the rental!!

Also, I'd like to know if anyone has ever gotten or been served from a photo radar ticket in Star Valley??

Gino, funny you should ask. A little over a year ago I was driving east through Star Valley right at dusk when this bright light flashes and scares the piss out of me. I know right away that I'm caught. I even called my wife and told her. I waited and waited to get my picture in the mail. Now it's been over a year and still no picture. Oh well, lucky me I guess :unsure:

For what it's worth I think Star Valley is one of those small towns that likes to make money off those out of towners with lead in their shoes. Be ware!