Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

Unit 10 archery bull

post-22-1252842010_thumb.jpg

post-22-1252842031_thumb.jpg

post-22-1252842060_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Here he is. My first elk. 305 gross 5x5 shot at 18 yards over a waterhole at 715am. Not the biggest but he sure looked big in the early morning light.

As usual, I was running late thanks to work. By the time I got to 10, there were camps everywhere. I got to my little waterhole at 930pm and could see there was still water with my light. Back out a mile or so and set up camp. Went in at 530am and set up my blind as quiet as I could. Nothing. A few mule deer does and that's it.

Twelve hours later and I was rethinking my plan. I was by myself till my dad came in from Alaska on Monday and was determined to stay at water. By 600pm, a mulie buck came in and then some piggies. About 630pm,

three cows came down and a bull followed. He was a 7x7 and I had him at 53 yards. I passed looking for a better shot. He held up till almost dark and the he watered at 21 yards looking right at me. I held my shot and he walked after his cows. I kicked myself in the butt the whole walk back to camp for passing the 53 yard shots.

Next morning, I was in the blind at 515am and the bulls were making some noise. I watched three bulls water before it was light enough to shoot. Not aqain!!! When I could see my pins, I cow called. A bull replied and soon I could see his horns. Bull fever hit and I stopped looking. He watered at 18 yards and when he turned, I double lung him. He bolted and hit the dirt 50 yards from the shot.

Then the work started.

Brent

Congrats on a very fine first elk! Awesome job getting it done by yourself, it's a lot of work once they hit the dirt but oh how it's worth it!

Congratulations Brent on your first archery bull. He is a very nice bull. Enjoyed your story and felt your excitement as I read your story. Don't be kicking yourself to hard for passing on a 53yrd shot. They are not easy to make with all the juices flowing so fast thru your body, the nerves, and the excitement make it very hard to pull off at that distance. Besides, you got it done. :)

TJ

Real nice bull- the first is the most memorable! I'm sure you waited a while for that tag! Enjoy it- as I know it can be a while for a bull tag!

Nothing like the first sunrise of an elk hunt!

AzP&Y

Nice job and a great Bull! I thought I would have a shot this morning but no luck......

Great bull. Way to be ethical and pass up a poor shot on the 7x. Congratulations Brent!!!

P.S. -I havent seen you out at the plant, i hope ur still cruising the tracks.

Creed