Sign in to follow this  
savagman

First Muley Buck

I hunted hard and alone during the early rifle season in 12A West. The moon was full and the days were warm. They were bedded by 8 and I think the big boys were bedded before that. I glassed in the mornings and saw many does, spikes and a couple 2x2's and a small 3x3. By eight nothing was moving and I switched to still hunting the junipers. Tons of sign but didn't kick anything up I could identify. I watched some does and a spike at first light Wednesday morning when this buck came out of nowhere. They were about 400 yards out and I couldn't count points in the low light with my 10x42's. They were in a creek bottom eating acorns and feeding toward the thick green stuff. Four out of seven deer had already disappeared into the trees by the time he showed himself. I crept as close as I could and guessed the range at about 300 yards. A closer look and I counted at least three points on each side. By now he was about 1.5 body lenghths from cover. I decided that he was beautiful and that I wanted to take the shot. I had a bad case of buck fever and the crosshairs were bouncing everywhere. I couldn't go prone as there was too much low brush. I got it together and made a good enough shot to drop him where he stood. As we all know then the work began. As I mentioned I was alone. I was prepared to pack him out but was only a half mile from the road. After pictures I began proudly dragging my deer out of the woods. Wow - these muleys are a bit heavier than the Coues I have encountered. I reformulated my plan and went back to the truck and was able to get in about halfway to my deer. That was the longest quarter mile of my life. It didn't help that the creek was between the truck and my buck. It was a great experience doing this hunt solo and being able to harvest a beautiful buck. I read often and post little (talk less and listen more) and appreciate all the wisdom and experience members freely offer. Thanks!

post-2937-1258761116.jpg

. I read often and post little (talk less and listen more) and appreciate all the wisdom and experience members freely offer. Thanks!

I like that statement. Nice Buck Congrats to you! That early hunt is not a easy hunt. You did well.

Very nice buck, congrats on a great solo buck, thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Very nice buck and a great read. You are correct about work beginning when you drop them. Packing them out is very rewarding.... at the end but can be a killer. Beautiful buck and congratulations.

. I read often and post little (talk less and listen more) and appreciate all the wisdom and experience members freely offer. Thanks!

I like that statement. Nice Buck Congrats to you! That early hunt is not a easy hunt. You did well.

+1

Nice read and nice buck. Love the height...

Nice buck! Congrats! Getting anything on your own makes it more rewarding. Sure is nice having buddies or family around to share the thrill with though.

Thanks for all the congrats and positive feedback. I am getting a shoulder mount done and am proud of this hunt and the buck I was fortunate to harvest. I am thrilled with my deer and enjoyed doing it alone. I stayed home over the weekend to enjoy Halloween with my kids and certainly would have enjoyed family and friends in camp. It just wasn't possible. I will be in 36A this weekend hoping to help my neice find her first Coues buck. Anyone with tips or suggestions is welcome to chime in or join us for muley brats and a beer Thursday evening in camp.