bowhuntaz1

Feral hogs in Arizona

I'm sure there are scattered reports of wild hogs in other locations - some around Alamo lake - and in Jacks Canyon area etc.

Slim's named the 4 major areas that have populations where a person could go and find and hunt wild hogs!

I've heard nothin from Terry Herndons guided hunts for hogs around Cordes Junction - the price was like 350 per one day hunt but no guarentees ya would even see a hog - Don't know of anyone who actually went on a hunt and harvested a hog - though i know several people who have killed wild hogs in and around that spot.

Bill,

Probably the easiest way to tell is how fast they run away from you, but location is pretty telltale.

I've shot feral hogs in California, but I was with the guy who owned or leased the land both times. I'd hate to shoot someone's prize-winning hogs, just because I didn't realize he was running pigs with his cattle. Virtually everywhere in this state except for residential property, wildlife refuges and National Park Service land is someone's ranch.

Bill Quimby

I'm sure there are scattered reports of wild hogs in other locations - some around Alamo lake - and in Jacks Canyon area etc.

Slim's named the 4 major areas that have populations where a person could go and find and hunt wild hogs!

I've heard nothin from Terry Herndons guided hunts for hogs around Cordes Junction - the price was like 350 per one day hunt but no guarentees ya would even see a hog - Don't know of anyone who actually went on a hunt and harvested a hog - though i know several people who have killed wild hogs in and around that spot.

I have taken 4 of them myself. And have helped several others take a few and a lot of close calls over the years. Good place.

Shot one in 5B North this year. Not allot but they are there.

Got proof?

is that like sayin got gps coords- they were scattered around Jacks canyon area !

Shot one in 5B North this year. Not allot but they are there.

Got proof?

is that like sayin got gps coords- they were scattered around Jacks canyon area !

No, its like saying do you have a pic? Not calling BS or anything just wanted to see some pictures.

wards- how many are down there?? it seems to me that the conditions of a dry state, lots of predators, and lots of hunters with bows and 7mm mags and a season year round with no limit that any feral hogs in az are not going to become a "problem".

I find watching cockraches laying on thier back kicking their legs after I spray poison on them a little disturbing too. OK not really but you get the point. These hogs devestate certain areas and the farmers have to do what it takes to make a living. Pigs are to farmers what Wolves were/are to ranchers.

I would hope these animals are being recovered and the meat being put to use however.

Oh and that would make one heck of a video game...

I agree, what a BLAST to watch. But your comparison to wolves is REALLY screwed up! The wolves are native, the cows are exotic. The cows ought to be blasted like the hogs.

Mark

wards- how many are down there?? it seems to me that the conditions of a dry state, lots of predators, and lots of hunters with bows and 7mm mags and a season year round with no limit that any feral hogs in az are not going to become a "problem".

They said the same thing in Texas, but substitute 7mm mags for 30 round AR's, and night hunting/helicopter hunting/trapping/running dogs and stabbing are all legal means there... They are still way overrun with 'em. Once their population explodes, there's no stopping it- a typical sow can drop dozens of piglets a year... I just wish deer were as fruitful.

I find watching cockraches laying on thier back kicking their legs after I spray poison on them a little disturbing too. OK not really but you get the point. These hogs devestate certain areas and the farmers have to do what it takes to make a living. Pigs are to farmers what Wolves were/are to ranchers.

I would hope these animals are being recovered and the meat being put to use however.

Oh and that would make one heck of a video game...

I agree, what a BLAST to watch. But your comparison to wolves is REALLY screwed up! The wolves are native, the cows are exotic. The cows ought to be blasted like the hogs.

Mark

IMO wolves are native to Arizona but before they were intorduced they were trapped and shot out of existance in Arizona. This means that the ecosystem has adapted to their decades-long absence, as evidenced by the healthy, not overabundant, population of big game in these regions. Reintroducing an animal that mother nature has allready accounted for its absence is not a good idea, just look at Yellowstone. Again JMO, it is a heated topic and everybody has an opinion. Sorry for the thread hijack.

More on topic I have occasionally seen them areound the Jacks Canyon area as someone elese posted. Hopefully hunters will do their part and kill every pig they are sure is wild on sight. Good for the ecosystem and my belly. Yum yum. Piggy.

I hunt sometimes on a ranch on the sanpedro. The ranch/farm next to him raises and charges $ lots to hunt these hogs, I havent been able to kill one but have seen them on his property, who the hel% would raise such a destructive animal for the sole purpose of makin money? I guess I Know the type of people who would but I cant understand the why? if I had the chance, I would kill them all and have bacon for years