Sign in to follow this  
Flash

Considering bullet change

I shoot a 257 WM for deer and have been very satisfied with the 100 grain spire bullet. I have limited my shots to 400 yards or less and it has dropped everything I shot on a dime. I want to consider the possibility of shooting a little longer and was told by a ballistics guru buddy that because the 115 grain ballistic tip has a better coefficincy, it is a way better round at longer distances. He said the energy is a ton better. Now I would never take a shot that I am not confidant with and also know its all about shot placement, but I am definitly willing to shoot something that puncuates the shot!

If I make a change to longer shooting (even if it ends up only in practice), I would change to a ballistic scope, so I need to decide on the grain bullet before I buy the scope. I shoot Weatherby factory ammo. I would like to hear experiences on the ballistic tip or any other related opinions. Thanks for your time.

I too shoot a 257 wby mag.

IMHO, if you do not reload, the 110 Accubond is the way to go for a factory round. Good BC, and a much tougher bullet than a Ballistic Silvertip.

On the other hand, looking into reloading, and shooting the 115 VLD would be a good way to go for deer. I shoot the VLD for deer (will be taking 100 TTSX to Africa).

Do you know if the 115 BT's will even shoot in your rifle? Don't buy the cart before the horse! Go do all your field work before you buy your scope. In fact, while you're at it, try several differnt bullet/load combinations and go with the one that shoots the most accurate, then go buy your new scope based on the results.

Good luck!

Great round, I also use a 257 WM for my deer hunting. Based on previous experience on multiple Coues deer out to 400 yards I am not very pleased with the 115 Ballistic Tips. On two seperate bucks with an impact point on the shoulder blade the bullets completely blew up. No exit wounds on either deer and bullet fragments all over the chest cavity. The round is great for getting the job done however, it always dulls the experience when you bite into a tenderlion and spit out a shiny blue piece of the ballistic tip..... I agree with Casey and say stick to a more sturdy bullet and as previously mentioned, one that your rifle is accurate with. I myself will be changing to the Accubond or the VLD's from now on. Good luck on whatever route you choose.

I switched to the accubond from the 115 ballistic tips this year on my .257 WBY mag.. The performance with the accubond is fantastic (on the deer I shot). I would bet the coefficient is great on the accubond. You lose a bit off the ballistic tip while the accubond retains all its mass. Anyway, I am hooked on the accubond............Allen Taylor.......

Do you know if the 115 BT's will even shoot in your rifle? Don't buy the cart before the horse! Go do all your field work before you buy your scope. In fact, while you're at it, try several differnt bullet/load combinations and go with the one that shoots the most accurate, then go buy your new scope based on the results.

Good luck!

Great advice above.... shoot several bullets with different powders and grs of powder if you really want to get picky... the barrel will like something.... then fine tune from there... if you have one bullet you want to use play with powder... you might get it to shoot....;)

I also shoot the 115 BT with impressive results out to 600+ yds. Have considered going to a 100 Barnes but have yet get motivated to switch my scope settings. Good luck on your choice.

Mike

+1 for the 110 Accubond. I've watched quite a few animals including elk, coues and mule deer get flat-out DUMPED by that round! At pretty good distances too....

The 115 BTs shot well for me too. I just didn't shoot anything but coyotes with them because the 110s flew a tad better and I liked the idea of a tougher bullet.

Casey, I'm no expert but I was under the impression that the BT's were constructed different/better than the Bsilvertips. I understand the coating difference but I thought I remember reading they held together a little better. I could be wrong though.

Good luck with your choice of bullet...

+1 for the 110 Accubond. I've watched quite a few animals including elk, coues and mule deer get flat-out DUMPED by that round! At pretty good distances too....

The 115 BTs shot well for me too. I just didn't shoot anything but coyotes with them because the 110s flew a tad better and I liked the idea of a tougher bullet.

Casey, I'm no expert but I was under the impression that the BT's were constructed different/better than the Bsilvertips. I understand the coating difference but I thought I remember reading they held together a little better. I could be wrong though.

Good luck with your choice of bullet...

You could be right, they may not be EXACTLY the same, but they are still extremly close... In other words, one is soft.. the other is softer. Not that the Accubond is super solid, but it is quite a step up from the BT' type of bullets.

+2 for 110 Accubond, with the velocity of this cartridge I would definately reccomend a bounded bullet, there is a pretty good universal load that shoots lights out on my gun and the guy I got it from says it shoots really well out of 3 of his 257's.

110 Accuond

66 grains IMR4831

FED-15M

Flash do you reload? John Barness has said that Berger Hunting VLD's are very devastating on animals (shrapnel a plenty) and loves their performance on thin skin animals. They are a very accurate bullet in my 30-06, decent price and its the only bullet used by guys like Aaron & Mike Davidson, Shorty Gorham, and John Porter. Those folks will take animals at over 900 yards.

No, I unfortunatly do not reload and will be unable to start. I am going to stick with factory ammo. Its too expensive to just pick up a box of everything and try it, but I will definitly buy a box of the accubonds and see how they fly. Thanks to everyone for the opinions.

I agree with the majority the accubond is an excellent bullet.I have not used it in my 257 yet but has not failed me in US,Canada,or Africa in my 30-378. My father has been using the 100 grain tripleshock in his 257 for the last few years and has been very happy with them especially at longer distances 300+ at closer range they seem to act more like a solid and just pierce a hole everything went down just took longer to find.