Sign in to follow this  
bowhuntaz1

Poacher Of the 2 Bighorns caught.

Hmmm - Directly contribute to the death of a jaguar and receive a misdemeanor and probation. Kill a bighorn and it's a felony with possible jail time??? Interesting...

Hmmm - Directly contribute to the death of a jaguar and receive a misdemeanor and probation. Kill a bighorn and it's a felony with possible jail time??? Interesting...

Seriously?

I feel the same as the rest of you...glad this terd got caught. My question is, how (if at all) does this effect the 2010 draw? I haven't looked at the regs in a while, but I think there are only 1 or 2 tags available for the unit. This guy killed 2. Will G & F keep the unit open?

I feel the same as the rest of you...glad this terd got caught. My question is, how (if at all) does this effect the 2010 draw? I haven't looked at the regs in a while, but I think there are only 1 or 2 tags available for the unit. This guy killed 2. Will G & F keep the unit open?

Well, if its like bears and the sow harvest they will close the unit down till next year

hey guys, don't jump to conclusions. it coulda been self defense or he really needed the meat. innocent until proven guilty, remember? then you can kill him. Lark.

His story doesn't wash. How many people do you know take a centerfire rifle when they go fishing? Sounds to me that the guy knew exactly what he was doing. I suspect he saw the sheep on an earlier trip and returned with that rifle. If so, his crime is even more repugnant IMO because it was planned and not a spur-of-the-moment thing.

Bill Quimby

I'll second that...Dunno but rumor has it that both of the sheep were skinned...regardless glad they were caught!!

I haul a 223 a lot when I go to the lake. Not every time but maybe half. I hope to see a lion or bobcat, taking a centerfire rifle usually prevents me from seeing them i think.

I don't remember who's numbers these were but they were fines for taking wildlife; 6k for elk and sheep and around 3.5k for deer lions and bears. How can the fine rate be 6k when sheep tags can sell for 50k. Isn't "stealing" anything valued over $1,000 (i dont know the number exactly) a felony. Isn't that what a poacher is doing, taking something that is not theirs valued over $1000. Seems like if the commision made poaching stealing wildlife in the wording, felonies would go along with other tickets. A felony is a pretty big deterent for most half reasonable people. I know there will always people who don't care but a felony is a big deal.

"there were 6 Game&Fish trucks, 1 DPS, and a hand full of Mesa PD at the kid's (21 or 22year old) house". AMAZING! So it took all those law enforcement people to write a bunch of tickets??? And we wonder why we are broke in this state? I agree he should have been booked into tent city for awhile and maybe his poor decision would sink in and have a more lasting effect on him. His type don't worry too much about losing their hunting privelages and how is he going to pay the fine as most 21 year olds don't have the greatest jobs these days? I have an idea though: have him start June 1st painting the little white fish back on the concrete up at the fish hatchery in unit 23. That should take him quite awhile and the sheer bordom and tediousness of the task would drive him nuts I would think. Sad how our children no longer respect life, be it two legged or four legged! B)

A class 1 misdemeanor with a firearm means this boy can no longer own a firearm. That ought to sting a little!

Mark

there were 6 Game&Fish trucks, 1 DPS, and a hand full of Mesa PD at the kid's (21 or 22year old) house". AMAZING! So it took all those law enforcement people to write a bunch of tickets??? And we wonder why we are broke in this state? I agree he should have been booked into tent city for awhile and maybe his poor decision would sink in and have a more lasting effect on him. His type don't worry too much about losing their hunting privelages and how is he going to pay the fine as most 21 year olds don't have the greatest jobs these days? I have an idea though: have him start June 1st painting the little white fish back on the concrete up at the fish hatchery in unit 23. That should take him quite awhile and the sheer bordom and tediousness of the task would drive him nuts I would think. Sad how our children no longer respect life, be it two legged or four legged!

One thing about G&F is that almost everyone they deal with is armed. Since it is known that the "kid" has a weapon, that is probably the reason they had plenty of officers on scene. Also, I imagine they had the local manager, the supervisor, and probably an evidence collection team. Its also traditonal (courteous) to have the local PD on hand when serving a warrant in a municipality.

That being said, I am curious to see what the outcome of the charges will be. As most of us know, game violations are historically (unfortunately)met with minimal punishment. This is a nationwide issue, not just AZ.

Man, I sure hope they caught the POS responsible for this, and I hope our laws are stringent enough to make it hurt. I have a hard time hating anyone, but for poachers, I can make an exception. Especially sheep...or elk...or deer...or...yeah, any poacher - hate 'em with passion.