Ernesto C

Suggestions when traveling to Mexico

Hi there my fellow cwt hunters and guests of this awesome site. Here are some suggestions if you travel to Mexico in the next months for scouting/hunting or just for vacation time.

1- Dont travel alone, make the trip on a group if possible.

2- Travel during daylight hours.

3- Tell some one here in the U.S. where you going include ranch name, owners name,phone # and

the general location where you are going (Nogales, Magdelana, Caborca etc) Also include informa-

tions such as type of vehicle, color, model and license plate.

4- Tell them when you are planing to return.

5-Ask a friend from Mexico or the guide or ranch owner if they can meet you at the border and take

you to the ranch.

6 If you must stop for gas, ice etc. try to do it on a big supermarket on a very busy street (lost of

trafic)

7- The less you stop the better.

If you make it to a checkpoint:

1- Cooperate immediately and fully.

2- Stay calm, comply with with demands.

3- If you have a child with you make it visible to them (roll down your window) or let them know

you have kids in the vehicle.

If you happen to be a victim of an ilegal act you may reported to the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit at the U. S. Consulate located on Calle San Jose (S/N) Col Los Alamos, Nogales Sonora Mexico; telepone 011 52 631 311-8150; after hours emergency telephone 011 52 1 631 318-0723.

You are more than welcome to add your suggestions to this list, also .....I dont know If I will do any good but I will try to help if necessary but if you want my phone # I can provided to you just send me an email.

Thanks and God bless.

Ernesto C

I'll add my suggestion.. Don't go.

AMEN!

Spend your money here.

AMEN!

Spend your money here.

+ infinity

I know but how much you want to bet that a lot us will go? Like I said "if" you go or for those who go.

Ernesto C

Ernesto,

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm heading south of the border in the morning. Like I have done once a month for several years. If you're motivated by fear I would not carelessly wander around southern Az! I've run into smugglers carrying machine guns in Southern Az. (two times). Very uncomfortable! Even with a 45 on my hip!

Jim

You welcome Jim, I know you have friends in Mexico and is good to know some people. When are you coming back? Let me know if you need my phone # just in case. Take care and good luck.

Ernesto C

The more of you that stay home will hopefully drive the price down for my coues tags. If I could get a decent tag every few years I

would not be so quick to go down, but I have no worries yet. I've never been to Africa but I feel safer going to Mexico hunting than flying across the pond.

AMEN!

Spend your money here.

+ infinity

+ NO NUMBER THAT IS REAL!!

+1 for "Don't Go".

I used to love Rocky Point and San Carlos, and would dream about bass fishing, coues and goulds hunting the Mexican ranches down there. I wouldn't dream of taking my family down there right now, and wouldn't even do a solo trip for fear of not returning - or worse yet, being held for ransom - then killed after my entire family was destitute.

The Mexican gov't or the drug cartels that own it won't see a penny from me. There's plenty of fun to be had right here in AZ.

Thanks for the suggestions Ernesto. I will be heading across the border again this year just like the last several years and am just as excited as ever! That being said some people are nervous and I understand that but I also don't feel that my money is going to the cartels when it is going to a very honest hard working rancher. Yes some of the money goes to the government but where doesn't it? Anyway thanks again for the suggestions and I already made sure that the rancher would be willing to meet us on this side and lead us down to the ranch if needed.

I will also be going down again this year just as I have the last 4 years and just like every other year... I can't wait. Thanks for the advise Ernesto!!!

My advise is don't bring back your buddies ice chest full of apples!

Great thread Ernesto and great suggestions!

As long as you follow each of Ernesto's suggestions, you will have dramatically reduced the chances of something bad happening. I guarantee, the more you travel at night, alone, or go party in town you are asking for problems!

I'm more afraid to hunt and travel in my own country than I am in Mexico. You just have to be smart about it and follow the rules, written and unwritten! All the people that I know who have had bad experiences were people doing something they shouldn't have been doing.