otdrsman

First black bear

I've been seeing lots of bears in my whitetail cams, and decided to head up to my whitetail spot. Showed up yesterday evening around 5pm and beat feet to my spot... 20 mintues later found a black bear 540 yards up the canyon... Raced down to 216 yards and fired one shot.... Where did I hit??? I was able to glass it up again further up the hill and unfortuantely I've been coyote hunting with my ar-15 and my first crosshair on that scope is 100 yards.. My rifle is 200 yards.... I put the second cross hair on my rifle on the bear thinking it was 200 yards...when it was 300 yards..... Total operator error blew one right over it! Hung my head low and went back to camp.. Got up first thing and headed back up to the same spot......6:20... spotted two black bears and 416 yards later...Had my first black bear!!! Nice boar. What a total rush!!!!post-1798-1281506956_thumb.jpgpost-1798-1281507260_thumb.jpg

post-1798-1281507080_thumb.jpg

Very nice and thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your first bear. :)

TJ

Congrats on a nice bear. After lobbing a couple at him and making him dance, you weren't afriad he'd come find your camp that night? :P

Wow very nice!!....now...can you take me to that spot? I want a bear too :) Congratulations.

Ernesto C

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments! I was figuring he was about 3-4 years old and just got back from game and fish and they aged him at approximately 7 years old... Pretty cool!

Great job! So, did you actually miss the bear in the evening twice, or just once? Do you think you got the same bear in the morning that you missed at night, or was it a different bear? Were all threeof the bear so saw in black in color, or were there any phase bears?