Sign in to follow this  
NOFX

Game camera regs

Im having a tough time finding something on paper that states the right to leave cameras on Forest Service land. The argument is that it is abandoned property and should be confiscated. Help me out, I may be able to prevent some THEFT.

I ran into a Forest Service employee, that had 10+ stands in the back of his truck, and 20+ game cameras in his truck tool box. He said that the controversy over "who put it up first" was getting out of hand and he was told to collect as many as he could that were left overnight on Forest Service land. He said the FS would hold on to them for a period of time to see if any body claimed them, and if not they were thrown out. This was in unit 27.

I ran into a Forest Service employee, that had 10+ stands in the back of his truck, and 20+ game cameras in his truck tool box. He said that the controversy over "who put it up first" was getting out of hand and he was told to collect as many as he could that were left overnight on Forest Service land. He said the FS would hold on to them for a period of time to see if any body claimed them, and if not they were thrown out. This was in unit 27.

No kidding?? Is that even legal?? My brother works for the FS in Happy Jack. Next time I talk to him I will ask if they have any policy like that.

No way that is wrong in so many ways. They could resale them and make a mint. That represents a lot of peoples time and money he walked off with.

Stands that are attached to trees, and steps that are nailed to trees are fair game for the forest service. I would not consider trail cams as damaging to a tree.

probably a bunny hugger

I will try and bite my lip when I talk about the forest service , I think a lot of them have an agenda , And it's definitely different from mine , I think they are importing some of them from northern California ,Don't get me wrong ,some of them are great and are doing the right thing. It may just be upper management dictating there agenda. I think it's a bunch of crap. I'll probably get ripped on because of my post but thats how I feel .I learned the hard way with game cameras, so now I hike them in about 5 miles . I feel bad for you guys that lost your stuff. I hope I did not offend anyone to bad.

I figured someone would be able pull some kinda regulation on the subject. All I am able to come up with is Arizona State legislature, No Federal Directive.

game and fish says to check with the appropriate land management.

i'm sure each 1 is different.

also says leaving such property for"extended periods of time" maybe considered abandoned property.

so is leaving it over night considered "extended period"?

we all have our opinions!!!!!!!!!

james

Is there a legal description for "abandoned"? If we could make the item not "abandoned" they couldn't remove it. What if cameras had a not sayin "this is not abandoned property". It seems like FS remove things when they are abonded and stealing cameras is not illegal because they are abandoned property. It seems to me that the easiest way to solve it, is to show the items are not abonded, but I dont know the legal description of the word.

If I pull my 5th wheel trailer out to a camp site, then hike into a spike camp area for a couple days, is my 5th wheel considered abandoned? This just does not seem legal!

I found this on a FS web site from another state, not sure if it applys here in AZ? or applys to game cameras?

The Forest Service is now enforcing this regulation, and any tree stands discovered on National Forest Service lands after January 29, 2010, are subject to seizure and impoundment under 36 CFR 261.58V.

Please be aware that permanent deer stands are prohibited on public lands. Permanent deer stands are any wooden or metal structure that has been attached or fixed on a tree and used for the purpose of hunting deer when in season. Any permanent deer stands found on National Forest lands will be treated as unauthorized structures, prohibited under law and regulation, and are subject to removal under 36 CFR 261.10A.

In addition, use of screw-in steps, screws or nails, and any material that would damage trees is prohibited on National Forest lands. Also, any deer stands placed on National Forest lands must be identified with the full name, address, and telephone number of the user. Stands not labeled with the above information are treated as unauthorized structures and can be impounded by agency law enforcement personnel as discussed above.