Sign in to follow this  
NOFX

Game camera regs

I found this on a FS web site from another state, not sure if it apply here in AZ? or apply to game cameras?

The Forest Service is now enforcing this regulation, and any tree stands discovered on National Forest Service lands after January 29, 2010, are subject to seizure and impoundment under 36 CFR 261.58V.

Please be aware that permanent deer stands are prohibited on public lands. Permanent deer stands are any wooden or metal structure that has been attached or fixed on a tree and used for the purpose of hunting deer when in season. Any permanent deer stands found on National Forest lands will be treated as unauthorized structures, prohibited under law and regulation, and are subject to removal under 36 CFR 261.10A.

In addition, use of screw-in steps, screws or nails, and any material that would damage trees is prohibited on National Forest lands. Also, any deer stands placed on National Forest lands must be identified with the full name, address, and telephone number of the user. Stands not labeled with the above information are treated as unauthorized structures and can be impounded by agency law enforcement personnel as discussed above.

So it seems if you put your Name, Address, and Phone Number on it then they will leave it alone. Probably not a bad idea to have your contact info on your stuff anyway.

what about bear boxes?

has anyone been hassled about screwing them into trees?

i always try to stay away from screwing into trees but see it all over.

james

Come on sing it with me,

"This land isn't your land, this land isn't my land

From California, to the New York Island

From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters

This land was stolen from you and me"

We get in trouble for placing signs on trees for family camping directions. FS came by and told us we could not attach anything to a tree such as nails or screws. This seems to follow the reasoning for taking items attached to trees.

I guess this would apply to setting up and leaving a camp before the season:

261.16(h) Without permission, failing to have at least one person occupy a ($25)/$25

camping area during the first night after camping equipment has been

set up.

261.16(i) Leaving camping equipment unattended for more that 24 hours ($50)/$50

without permission.

I ve pretty much come to terms with this kind of stuff, if i put a camera out I am completely prepared to never see it again.

+1

Doug,

Those are under the heading defining no-nos for DEVELOPED recreational sites, i.e. probably aimed more at the USFS campgrounds.

Dang, first mistake today :o . Guess I will have to be perfect hereafter ;)

About two months ago, I had pictures on my camera of someone from Forest Service checking out my spot I set up last year. I was worried that I would find a note or my stuff would be gone upon returning. I didn't know if they found it on accident or perhaps one of the few hikers I've had on camera gave them gps coordinates. He came by twice in a few days while they were in the area doing trail maintenance. To date I've had no problems with my stuff being left out. I hike in every other weekend to check on it and still breathe a sigh of relief every time when my stuff is how I left it.

If I pull my 5th wheel trailer out to a camp site, then hike into a spike camp area for a couple days, is my 5th wheel considered abandoned? This just does not seem legal!

According to the FS Regs, YES... see below:

261.16(h) Without permission, failing to have at least one person occupy a ($25)/$25

set up.

without permission.

wow, i did not know this was going on, I have a camera in 27 that I will check next week that has been there for 4 weeks, this will be interesting :(

According to the FS Regs, YES... see below:

set up.

without permission.

As I mentioned to Doug above, those are under the heading defining no-nos for DEVELOPED recreational sites, i.e. probably aimed more at the USFS campgrounds.