firstcoueswas80

Would you pay someone to develop/reload for you

With so many people wanting to get into long range shooting, but not having the time and/or equipment to reload I got to thinking...

Who would pay someone to develop a load and test it on paper to a desired distance? Or pay someone to develop the tightest load possible from a bench from 100 yards, and then load X amount of rounds?

Would you pay this person to not only develop the load and then test turrets out to a certain distance?

I know alot of people would like to expand their range, but are limited due to using factory rounds and not the bullet/accuracy they want.

What if that issue was solved?

With so many people wanting to get into long range shooting, but not having the time and/or equipment to reload I got to thinking...

Who would pay someone to develop a load and test it on paper to a desired distance? Or pay someone to develop the tightest load possible from a bench from 100 yards, and then load X amount of rounds?

Would you pay this person to not only develop the load and then test turrets out to a certain distance?

I know alot of people would like to expand their range, but are limited due to using factory rounds and not the bullet/accuracy they want.

What if that issue was solved?

I would consider it, depending on price and how long it would take (plus who is doing it). It almost seems the factor loads have caught on as they are now making more bullets.

Redman

I'm not into long range shooting but if I were to go that rout I would definitely pay someone to do that part for me. For now I'll keep my shots under 20rds. Shoot straight Casey. :)

TJ

So many people claim to be reloaders. You just need to be careful that they actually know what their doing when it comes to reloading.

There's a feller in Sierra Vista that reloads for a person that goes to Africa annually for hunting and guiding, makes good money off of that.

I think it would be a good business for someone to go into reloading for people who wants to extend their range

A company called Arizona Ammunition does (or used to do) this. They were pricey though. You might try a google search.

Mike

i guess ill be the odd man out. I would not pay someone. I have an overal distrust for most people. My reloads for the one long range rifle I have are form fired in my chamber neck sized for my chamber. I had a friend that wanted to test a few I told him they will not fit. He took them to the range in his rifle he got the bolt closed but it got stuck and could not fire or be extracted. Plus I would never let someone test load for me in my rifle as there are too many people that think if 75g is good and 80g is max 86g must be the best.

And developing loads is half the fun.

So many people claim to be reloaders. You just need to be careful that they actually know what their doing when it comes to reloading.

+1

oz31p is also right on the money with " i guess ill be the odd man out. I would not pay someone. I have an overal distrust for most people. My reloads for the one long range rifle I have are form fired in my chamber neck sized for my chamber. I had a friend that wanted to test a few I told him they will not fit. He took them to the range in his rifle he got the bolt closed but it got stuck and could not fire or be extracted. Plus I would never let someone test load for me in my rifle as there are too many people that think if 75g is good and 80g is max 86g must be the best."

No one will ever reload for any of my firearms. There is also a huge diference between "reloading". ie-powder primer and bullets, and "precision reloading" with all the: brass prep: checking run out: flash hole prep, and all the other factors that go with long range shooting.

How about a good middle-ground solution?

I use Superior Ammunition out of Rapid City, SD. You can send your rifle to them and have them work out the best load or you can order a Sample Pack. The Sample Pack includes 20 rounds - 4 each of 5 different loads. When you call, you give them as many details as you can about when/where/what you are hunting and what type of load you would like. They then use their experience to create loads that have shot well in that caliber in the past.

I did not find any factory load that shot well out of my Christensen Arms .270WSM other than 130gr Remington Core-Lokts that I didn't want to hunt with. I ordered a Sample Pack and ALL of the loads shot better than the factory loads, with a 140gr Accubond shooitng the best - a .53" 3-shot group at 100 yards.

I then ordered a Sample Pack for my .300WIN and specified that I wanted to use either the 165gr TSX or 168gr TTSX. I haven't shot them yet, but am excited to!

I call what they do "semi-custom loading." I know that they do not take the time to make "precision loads," and they are more expensive than buying factory loads, but the time investment for me is way less. Even an extra $20 per box means I get a load that shoots well and I don't have to make the time to learn how to reload properly or do the actual reloading.

Hendershots also does custom loading for your rifle.

I would only let a select few people reload much less work up a load with my rifle/s.

I do like the idea and theory behind it though. Especially if the person/s doing it were just as passionate about it.

There are MANY places you can have this done. Typical fee is around 250 bucks for development and then a fee for any loaded ammo. Or some guys will charge a fee and then you provide components you wish to use. Being a beginner reloader myself, I plan on doing this in the next month with a guy up here. I checked a few references, and he was highly recomended. Part of his fee is going throught the steps with me so I can learn his way of doing things and why. I figure it's a good way to jump start my knowledge, and save some barrel life/pulling my hair out. Sort of like a beginner's class.

coues sniper

i learned to reload for a older family friend. a few times a week he would sit me down and show me how and why to do what step. on the weekends i would shoot. i would come back with the brass we'd sit down inspect the targets and the brass. one day i when by and he was not home and his wife let me in. by time he came home i was half way done.

he told me he could not remember the last time he loaded for him self. he offered me a very very fair price on his whole setup with a die for most cal and way more brass than i would every use even his bench. i when to the atm and the rest is history.

every once in a while he has me load a few hollow points for this 45acp.

If I blow myself up I want it to be because I am a dumb a$$, not someone else.