Santana Outdoors

Best Offroad/ Hyway tires for Coues Country

For what you are describing (70% pavement/30% off-road) take a look at the Michelin AT2. The the tread pattern isn't aggressive (if you need a serious mudder tire this isn't it) but I have taken my Tacoma to heck and back from Sonora to Seattle and haven't seen a flat in 30k miles...right now the tread pattern is at about 50%. I had the older Michelin AT's on my F-150 and same deal: all over AZ backcountry, never had a flat in 50K miles and when I sold the truck the buyer asked me if the tires were NEW.

done_2.jpg

I have KM2's on my jeep and they are as sticky as Spidermans hands. Air them down and they grip everything I've put them on. They are much quieter than I would have every thought and worn very very little since I put them on. Jeep has been to the white mtns several times and seen mud, rocks, sand and more rocks.

I wish I could afford these on my 2500HD but I fear the 5th wheel weight would wear them down too fast.

I wish I'd had put KM2's on my Wrangler as that thing would lose traction way to fast.

cmc

Last year I bought some tires made by Goodyear that were a cross between an all terrain and mud. The center part of the tire was an all terrain tread and the inner and outer were mud terrain. They were great on and off road. They even did well in the mud. But after a while I noticed that I couldn't keep them balanced. I remembered that I had ran goodyears in the past and found they had a soft rubber and would get so much grip on the road that they would actually spin on the rims. So I marked a couple of the rear tires and found that was exactly the problem. I was running these on a 3/4 ton duramax and I think the torque was my issue. Discount switched them out for me to BFG AT's which work fine, but they chip really bad on gravel roads. I know two guys running the KM 2's and they love them and are wearing very well so far. David

OK- I am also in the neighborhood for a new set of tire. I have a 2500 that I will be replacing my BFG A/T. They are an OK tire but only to get 40k out of is not worth the money. Hancook is one I was going to try and even save $100 each tire and better by 10k miles. I was not thrilled by my BFG's especially for the price altough the weight of the 2500 is greater than most especially with the trailer connected. What are some using with the bigger trucks still stock size?

I have Hankooks on my 2500 and have been very pleased thus far (~20K miles). Good highway manner and works well off road. They don't seem to mind the rocks either, as I've beenin nasty stuff without any "wounds".

I just bit the bullet and put a set of 35" hankook mt's for my dodge 1500. I've been very impressed with the on road performance of the tires thus far. I have previously ran BFG at and mt and also big o at. These hankooks handle the road and run smoother than any of them have before and appear more aggressive and off road ready than any of the tires I have run previously. I haven't had them out in the dirt/ rocks yet but am weager to see how they perform and hold up. So far, I am very impressed though.

Here is another vote for Hankook. These are Dyna Pro MT's 285/70/17. Load range D. These are surprisingly quiet on the pavement for a mud tire. I've always run BFG AT but decided to go with these this time.

IMG_3940.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

I have always had great luck with BFG's until now with my 2500 HD. I burned through these in 35000 miles. I think the weight of the 2500 is too much for the BFG at's............I put another set on because I didnt research any other options, but will look into the Hankook. I love the BFG's on 1/2 ton trucks...............Allen..........

I put on some Goodyear Wrangler DuraTacs, load range E. I see them as a cross between a mud and AT tire.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/goo...01&pc=31922

Before these, I had some Geolanders AT, but they changed the tread pattern to more of a highway type.

I have also had the BigO XT. They did well for Flagstaff rock,dirt and snow roads, but were a little noisy on pavement.

i am working at discount tire and i think your best bet is to go with the hankook dynapro's. we dont sell very many KM2's at my store so i dont know much about them. but the dynapro's are an excellent tire.

i am working at discount tire and i think your best bet is to go with the hankook dynapro's. we dont sell very many KM2's at my store so i dont know much about them. but the dynapro's are an excellent tire.

Desrthntr, my vehicle is like a heavy 3/4 ton, do you ever see much returns with punctures, rock problems with these? What kind of milage are you seeing out of a set?

Thanks,

I have 234K on my Y2K F250 which weighs almost 4 Tons;

1. 235/85-16 E Goodyear, came on truck got about 35K, quiet street tire.

2. 285/70 -16 D Dunlop Rover, barely made 25K, quiet, center tread wore too quickly (Discount)

3. 285/70-16 D Discount Tire house brand BFG AT clones traded up to BFG AT when I got a failure and it took 5 days to get another. Reason was they were phasing them out and could not find a replacement.

4. 285/70-16 D BFG AT got about 45K per tire but had flat spots after sitting overnight for the last 5K, good tire and had a few replaced under warranty due to cuts and such driving offroad. Handled well except in snow.

5. 285/70-16 D Brigstone Dueler 45K plus could probably go to 55K, Held up well against rocks, quiet but too much sidewall flex at highway speeds on turns (high pucker factor the first time). (Tire Pro)

6. 305/55-20 E Nitto TG. Best of the bunch so far, no sidewall flex, soft compound, quiet. I have been running these for almost three years and had one last upwards of 55K. (BIG O)

I like the look of the Hankook Dynapros, not too soft and a good pattern. My son was looking at them for his Colorado. IIRC Walmart also has them.

Discount Tire by far had the best customer service and warranty support. BIG O was a not as good and not all of the stores could get the Nitto when I tried to have one replaced under warranty as some are independently owned.

The BIG O stores were more of a challenge to get a tire replaced even with the road hazard warranty and nit picked too much.