catfish

dad not letting me hunt

let me hunt  

196 members have voted

1. 1. please

• yes go be a kid
    • nope go to school get an a
    • i dont care

The rules at my house are a B or better. School should come first even though it does not seem like it right then but it will help you in the long run! ;)

school comes first. What I do is check my grades on powerschool every week making sure i have all assignments turned in. that way i have straight As ans dont have to worry about failing grades and not going hunting :P

I learned WAY more about life and such being around my dad and his friends on hunting trips than I ever did in school...Just because you don't have good grades doesn't mean you are stupid, or a slacker, or have a bad work ethic, or poor values, nor do you have to have a college degree to be successful in life...it's ok to think outside the box too kid ;)

There are a lot of things about this statement that I agree with.

I am an educator and teach a vocational course, my degree is vocational education. I think college is pushed way too hard.

Most of the meetings I end up in on behalf of failing students end up with the final same conclusion.

LACK OF PARENT INVOLVMENT!!!

In education we know that if we have 30 kids in a classroom, we have 30 different individuals, none of them learning the same, none of them hearing what we are saying the same and not all of them getting the same answer to the question.

Many kids really need a dad to take them hunting but that is not happening.

Many kids really need a dad and a mom to help them get through the educational system, but that doesn't always happen.

In this case, you have a dad wanting to hold his kid responsible because he knows just how tough it is out there if you don't learn responsibility.

Jack, in this case the kid needs to think outside the box and realize that his dad is dad and is calling the shots until he gets old enough to leave the house. After he leaves the house he can go ahead and set up his own plan for when he gets to go hunting or not. This parent holding a kid responsible has nothing to do with being stupid, slacker or bad work ethic, just a dad teaching his kid. Now if he is not stupid, a slacker or bad work ethic he will put 2 and 2 together and get 4 and realize what he has to do to go hunting ;)

So....You are an educator and you misspelled INVOLVEMENT? :P :lol: Just teasing...Guess that was kinda my point...Personally, I wasn't just TOLD you have to do this...I was TAUGHT! how to have a good work ethic, how to be responsible, how to be a man, and the importance of those things from being around my dad and his friends on hunting trips...I was fortunately and had a great roll model to follow. And by NO means was I saying to disrespect his dads rules of him having to get good grades...just read this thread the majority seem to believe that if you don't get good grades and go to college then you aren't going to amount to much...and thats just not true...thats all I was trying to say ;)

I learned WAY more about life and such being around my dad and his friends on hunting trips than I ever did in school...Just because you don't have good grades doesn't mean you are stupid, or a slacker, or have a bad work ethic, or poor values, nor do you have to have a college degree to be successful in life...it's ok to think outside the box too kid ;)

There are a lot of things about this statement that I agree with.

I am an educator and teach a vocational course, my degree is vocational education. I think college is pushed way too hard.

Most of the meetings I end up in on behalf of failing students end up with the final same conclusion.

LACK OF PARENT INVOLVMENT!!!

In education we know that if we have 30 kids in a classroom, we have 30 different individuals, none of them learning the same, none of them hearing what we are saying the same and not all of them getting the same answer to the question.

Many kids really need a dad to take them hunting but that is not happening.

Many kids really need a dad and a mom to help them get through the educational system, but that doesn't always happen.

In this case, you have a dad wanting to hold his kid responsible because he knows just how tough it is out there if you don't learn responsibility.

Jack, in this case the kid needs to think outside the box and realize that his dad is dad and is calling the shots until he gets old enough to leave the house. After he leaves the house he can go ahead and set up his own plan for when he gets to go hunting or not. This parent holding a kid responsible has nothing to do with being stupid, slacker or bad work ethic, just a dad teaching his kid. Now if he is not stupid, a slacker or bad work ethic he will put 2 and 2 together and get 4 and realize what he has to do to go hunting ;)

So....You are an educator and you misspelled INVOLVEMENT? :P :lol: Just teasing...Guess that was kinda my point...Personally, I wasn't just TOLD you have to do this...I was TAUGHT! how to have a good work ethic, how to be responsible, how to be a man, and the importance of those things from being around my dad and his friends on hunting trips...I was fortunately and had a great roll model to follow. And by NO means was I saying to disrespect his dads rules of him having to get good grades...just read this thread the majority seem to believe that if you don't get good grades and go to college then you aren't going to amount to much...and thats just not true...thats all I was trying to say ;)

I know, that is why I said I agree with you.

Ouch, I always hate it when my students point out my mistakes, it was actually a test to see if anybody was paying attention!! :rolleyes: So now I get to throw it back at you.....I was fortunately and had a great roll model to follow,that would be role not roll. :P

Keep up the good work, I really do agree with you that hanging around your parents is a great thing in most cases.

my dad wont let me go hunting because i have a bad grade so lets have some like minded people like me... vote on this. let me hunt. please

Hmmmm 15 and dad won't let me hunt because of a bad grade. I bet you are thinking about how unfair this is and that everyone, especially dad, is against you.

Catfish, no one is against you, sounds like everyone here is for you, in the long run. Losing one hunt now is nothing compared to learning to hold yourself to a higher standard.

I got really bad grades until I was a senior in high school. Grades don't mean everything, but they mean a lot. I smashed the ACT and SATs to get into a really good small private college, but had to pay for it all myself. That equals student loans, tens of thousands worth.

My lack of attention in grade through middle and high school also made college a whole lot harder. Ever study math (calclus) 8 hours a day 7 days a week for an entire year. Yes, that stunk. Had I studied math hard in highschool my basic math skills would have carried me through a lot easier.

Didn't hunt once while in college because I was unprepared and had to put in that much more time, effort and work to accomplish my goals.

Was it worth it? Absolutely! Great job, live in a great place, can afford to hunt, fish, boat, travel, have big boy toys, ect, ect.................all with my 3 boys (13, 10, 6 yrs).

Unless they get bad grades that is! Ask my 10 year old about last Christmas. His PSP got locked away until his D is Social Studies turned into an A the next quarter. He got to look at that PSP everyday from Christmas until his A showed up.

I'd have taken his hunt away, but he was only 9 and couldn't draw yet!

Don't sacrifice your dreams for small desires. Get your grades up, and keep them there. Good grades give you options and choices in life. Bad ones limit them!

Work hard!

Matt

GET YOUR GRADES UP!

School is very importent and you will learn that as you get older!

Take this time to realize how much your family cares. Your father would not do this if he didnt care about you and your future. I love hunting and being in the field, I have had some of my best memories out in the hills. With that being said, in the future you wont be able to do things you love with out some kind of education.

Do not look at this as a bad thing. yeah, I know it sucks, not being able to hunt, but look at this as a good thing! You have many years ahead of you and many more memories to make and if you dont have a decent job to pay for it, there is no way any one can do it. Unfortuneltly this can be an expesive sport and I think our wives or husbands are finding this out more than we would like!

Hang in there, bring your grades up and have many more memories in the future! Im only 29 and i wish I would have done better in school! Your Dad is in the right! You will find that if you work hard in school your outcome will be better than you can imagine and you can take your Dad to Africa!

Good Luck!

Non-Typical Solutions

What can I say...I was the best homonym I could come up with! Good job you get to go hunting! ;)

I always did get to go hunting because I had the fear of my dad in my bones.

Not getting good grades meant I got to spend every hour after school taking care of pigs, driving tractor, tromping cotton, pumping sow barns, and trust me, making grades kept me playing ball and hunting.

I wanted to hang out with my dad and older brothers on the hunts so I made sure mom and dad were happy with the report card.

If I wanted to go to the dance on the third saturday of the month, my dad always made sure I put in my quota of hours at the pigfarm, that was just the rule.

Good luck in your hunting and schooling........or um, schooling and hunting ;)

All said is good so far.... But I can add something as I was a real bad teenager and will admit it.

You even questioning your fathers ways and creating this thread is not a good sign,,,lemme learn you somethin kid...and pay attention. I tried that game agaisnt my Pop for years, I LOST. Get on the same team, and now!!

Yeah that mossy oak commercial, the two highschool kids late for class cause they were "hunting"......

The next day them boys took the bus too school cause Pops took the truck keys and the hunting liscenses away for missing there class,,,also they stayed late for detention and excessive tardies....as well they were grounded for the weekend and chopped wood from sun up to down...while the good boy's went on real hunts with there Dad's.........the hard headed boys who didn't listen to there dads returned to school with blisters and splinters while that kid with the good grades brought pictures of his hunt and Buck, Both father and son smiling in the pictures.

Ohh and he got an A on the test,,, and didn't have detention....

But the good boy still chopped some wood,,, just because he knew he should. The bad kid chopped it much longer, to hard headed to understand why... kept screwing up.. now 28 still trying to get there crap together,,,cause they thought they knew everything and there dad was a jerk...The ones who took there dad's advice...well.. they have careers and go to new zealand and africa hunting...instead of scrapeing together a tank of gas and an ice chest of grubb to make it out hunting.

Your lucky your father has time to even look at your report card, keeping a roof over your head and food in your belly and clothes on your back is a hard job.Make his job of being a father easier....do what he says...It will make life for you easier too. Trust me, the flip side ain't too fun, for anyone.

Why does all this make sense now instead of when i was young...ohh yeah..I was an idiot.. but that was my choice... are you an idiot...man I sure wish I hadn't been. Would have allot more bucks to my name, probly a great salary and get payed vacations to go hunt Alaska...I am way behind in life compared to most my friends and it sucks.

Didn't have my priorites straight....Get yours right..It will help you out in life, the sooner the better...I'm still playing catch up!!

Hope you understand your fathers discipline now, even if you don't... DO WHAT HE SAYS, FOLLOW THE RULES!! Take head to this warning.

Or when your older you can tell a kid how much you screwed up and how much you regret it!!

There..from the horses mouth

[quote name='So....You are an educator and you misspelled INVOLVEMENT? :P :lol: Just teasing...Guess that was kinda my point...Personally, I wasn't just TOLD you have to do this...I was TAUGHT! how to have a good work ethic, how to be responsible, how to be a man, and the importance of those things from being around my dad and his friends on hunting trips...I was fortunately and had a great roll model to follow. And by NO means was I saying to disrespect his dads rules of him having to get good grades...just read this thread the majority seem to believe that if you don't get good grades and go to college then you aren't going to amount to much...and thats just not true...thats all I was trying to say ;)

"I was FORTUNATELY" and "had a great ROLL model," Jack? And what happened to the apostrophes in "dads" and "thats?" You need them to make dad possessive and indicate the contraction of that is. Tsk, tsk.

Just teasing. :P :lol:

Bill Quimby

All said is good so far.... But I can add something as I was a real bad teenager and will admit it.

You even questioning your fathers ways and creating this thread is not a good sign,,,lemme learn you somethin kid...and pay attention. I tried that game agaisnt my Pop for years, I LOST. Get on the same team, and now!!

Yeah that mossy oak commercial, the two highschool kids late for class cause they were "hunting"......

The next day them boys took the bus too school cause Pops took the truck keys and the hunting liscenses away for missing there class,,,also they stayed late for detention and excessive tardies....as well they were grounded for the weekend and chopped wood from sun up to down...while the good boy's went on real hunts with there Dad's.........the hard headed boys who didn't listen to there dads returned to school with blisters and splinters while that kid with the good grades brought pictures of his hunt and Buck, Both father and son smiling in the pictures.

Ohh and he got an A on the test,,, and didn't have detention....

But the good boy still chopped some wood,,, just because he knew he should. The bad kid chopped it much longer, to hard headed to understand why... kept screwing up.. now 28 still trying to get there crap together,,,cause they thought they knew everything and there dad was a jerk...The ones who took there dad's advice...well.. they have careers and go to new zealand and africa hunting...instead of scrapeing together a tank of gas and an ice chest of grubb to make it out hunting.

Your lucky your father has time to even look at your report card, keeping a roof over your head and food in your belly and clothes on your back is a hard job.Make his job of being a father easier....do what he says...It will make life for you easier too. Trust me, the flip side ain't too fun, for anyone.

Why does all this make sense now instead of when i was young...ohh yeah..I was an idiot.. but that was my choice... are you an idiot...man I sure wish I hadn't been. Would have allot more bucks to my name, probly a great salary and get payed vacations to go hunt Alaska...I am way behind in life compared to most my friends and it sucks.

Didn't have my priorites straight....Get yours right..It will help you out in life, the sooner the better...I'm still playing catch up!!

Hope you understand your fathers discipline now, even if you don't... DO WHAT HE SAYS, FOLLOW THE RULES!! Take head to this warning.

Or when your older you can tell a kid how much you screwed up and how much you regret it!!

There..from the horses mouth

Good story, at least you finally got it right, right???

That to me is the important part.

We all are idiots somewhere along the way and for all of you out there that never have been an idiot, congrats for that I didn't mean to include you in the all statement.

I have alot of students who have passed through my doors who didn't fit into the system very well, but went on to be successful Moms, Dads and money makers. Many of them make more money than I do as a teacher sad to say but true.

Getting good grades and going on to college just gives you more doors to choose from when it comes time to make money, plus in most cases a college degree will get you better pay and working conditions.

Things right now are pretty upside down out there in the work force, I used to kick myself in the tail for not sticking with the cabinet business but right now I am thankful to have a good job.

I don't make big money being a teacher but I do get to watch all my kids wrestling matches and baseball games which to me is worth alot of money. I get to sleep in my own bed every night of the week except when I am out hunting.

I have told my three older sons, right now is a great time to get an education cause there ain't no work out there so may as well take advantage of the lull in the job market.

45 minutes ago, lfootmatt said:

I resurrect this old thread.

So Catfish, we're 10 years on from you not getting to hunt, how did life turn out?

Take care, 

Matt

And 95% of the members that took part in it no longer post here. 😟

• Like 2