catfish

dad not letting me hunt

let me hunt  

196 members have voted

1. 1. please

• yes go be a kid
    • nope go to school get an a
    • i dont care

well when i was in high school all i could think about was hunting and fishing every essay or writing paper it would be about the outdoors. But my parents always said if i get a grade below 70% that i couldn't go!!! :(

so i say get your grades up.

Kudos to your dad. I did not allow my oldest to use his 6A bull tag because of his grades and I'd do the same for my middle. Good Job dad and I'll bet he is hurting worse.

You must learn that in life, there are some things we can't get; and some things that we dont get becuase we are not prepared for them yet. When you get prepare when you get ready....you'll get them. Nothing comes out of its time. There is a time for everything but this time it was your responsability to make it happen but dont worry....there are more important things right now that you must take care off.

Your dad is doing nothing wrong with his decision, he's trying to make out of you a responsible man. He (your dad) is a wise man and he is just trying to help you and guide you now so in the future you'll be prepare for life.

If it make you feel better......this past January, I had two tags for Sonora Mexico and did not get to go. I had to choose between my responsabilitys (my kids and work) or to go hunting.

Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll get better grades and you'll be hunting soon.

Ernesto C

I learned WAY more about life and such being around my dad and his friends on hunting trips than I ever did in school...Just because you don't have good grades doesn't mean you are stupid, or a slacker, or have a bad work ethic, or poor values, nor do you have to have a college degree to be successful in life...it's ok to think outside the box too kid ;)

I have to agree with the majority here. I know it seems like the end of the world not to go deer hunting this year, but I'm sure all of us has been there at one time or another. I know that I have wasted 3 Dec. tags because of work, and 1 unit 27 archery bull tag because of college. What you need to do now is get your gades up. Then when you get that high paying job take the old man to Africa to tell him thank you for making live up to your potential.

I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU to all these great responses! My son told me last night he had posted this topic, he thought since it was a hunting forum the responses would side with him and then I would let him go. He knows the rules, good grades or else!

weatherby1 I like Africa hunting trip idea! ;)

We have a no-A, no-play policy at our house. We expect straight A's and that's what we get from our kids or they don't get to do the fun stuff. Hunting and club team soccer tournaments included...

Guess we're kinda softies in a way, since we did cave to our son who argued very convincingly that 89.5% or above rounds up and should count as an A-.

I learned WAY more about life and such being around my dad and his friends on hunting trips than I ever did in school...Just because you don't have good grades doesn't mean you are stupid, or a slacker, or have a bad work ethic, or poor values, nor do you have to have a college degree to be successful in life...it's ok to think outside the box too kid ;)

There are alot of things about this statement that I agree with.

I am an educator and teach a vocational course, my degree is vocational education. I think college is pushed way too hard.

Most of the meetings I end up in on behalf of failing students end up with the final same conclusion.

LACK OF PARENT INVOLVMENT!!!

In education we know that if we have 30 kids in a classroom, we have 30 different individuals, none of them learning the same, none of them hearing what we are saying the same and not all of them getting the same answer to the question.

Many kids really need a dad to take them hunting but that is not happening.

Many kids really need a dad and a mom to help them get through the educational system, but that doesn't always happen.

In this case, you have a dad wanting to hold his kid responsible because he knows just how tough it is out there if you don't learn responsibility.

Jack, in this case the kid needs to think outside the box and realize that his dad is dad and is calling the shots until he gets old enough to leave the house. After he leaves the house he can go ahead and set up his own plan for when he gets to go hunting or not. This parent holding a kid responsible has nothing to do with being stupid, slacker or bad work ethic, just a dad teaching his kid. Now if he is not stupid, a slacker or bad work ethic he will put 2 and 2 together and get 4 and realize what he has to do to go hunting ;)

There are alot of things about this statement that I agree with.

I am an educator and teach a vocational course, my degree is vocational education. I think college is pushed way too hard.

Most of the meetings I end up in on behalf of failing students end up with the final same conclusion.

LACK OF PARENT INVOLVMENT!!!

In education we know that if we have 30 kids in a classroom, we have 30 different individuals, none of them learning the same, none of them hearing what we are saying the same and not all of them getting the same answer to the question.

Many kids really need a dad to take them hunting but that is not happening.

Many kids really need a dad and a mom to help them get through the educational system, but that doesn't always happen.

In this case, you have a dad wanting to hold his kid responsible because he knows just how tough it is out there if you don't learn responsibility.

Jack, in this case the kid needs to think outside the box and realize that his dad is dad and is calling the shots until he gets old enough to leave the house. After he leaves the house he can go ahead and set up his own plan for when he gets to go hunting or not. This parent holding a kid responsible has nothing to do with being stupid, slacker or bad work ethic, just a dad teaching his kid. Now if he is not stupid, a slacker or bad work ethic he will put 2 and 2 together and get 4 and realize what he has to do to go hunting ;)

+100% right on the money

I've always loved this site and the people on it, even more now seeing the responses to this post!

Catfish, I feel for you, I really do, but your Dad did what is best for you.

Like Gilaarcher, I was unable to take my oldest daughter out of school for her hunt this week. She had the grades, but lacked the dicipline I expect of her. We were unsuccessful in killing a deer over the weekend but I'd bet the farm next year we'll be hunting the last day of her hunt (today is the last day of her hunt this year and she is in school).

Study hard and get your grades up.

Kevin

here is what you do, say you are going to study hall, borrow a friends rifle and go hunting :lol:

never saw what the grade was...nor your average, and not knowing you hard to say much more than you must respect your father's wishes. Look at it like an organized sport in high school, no pass...no play.

We have a no-A, no-play policy at our house. We expect straight A's and that's what we get from our kids or they don't get to do the fun stuff. Hunting and club team soccer tournaments included...

Guess we're kinda softies in a way, since we did cave to our son who argued very convincingly that 89.5% or above rounds up and should count as an A-.

So what happens if they get a "B"? I can understand being strick on Ds and Fs but only an "A"? As long as my kids get good grades (a,b,c) then that is fine but no Ds or Fs.

So what happens if they get a "B"? I can understand being strick on Ds and Fs but only an "A"? As long as my kids get good grades (a,b,c) then that is fine but no Ds or Fs.

It depends on the kid's potential. If the kid is very capable of A's, then with a B or two he stays home. If my kid get's straight A's, then I'll let him hunt on a Friday, or maybe take him skiing on a weekday.

Mark

Being a parent is not always fun and sometimes it is downright brutal but everything that we do is out of love for our children though they sometimes don't see it that way. It has been many moons (full ones of course at hunting season) since my youth but I can still recall how unhappy I was with my Father for not "siding with me" when my Mother would put her foot down, but it didn't take long for me to realize and figure it out once I was 17 and in the military! Good luck to you young fella and if it is at all possible as a young person, consider what your Father is doing as a good thing and learn from it which will be the best grade you could ever get!