Sign in to follow this  
diamondj

Jay's WOW FACTOR buck

AZ G&FD was very kind to me in 2010. I drew muzzleloader antelope, muzzleloader bull elk & rifle Coues whitetail. After "eating" my first 2 tags (they don't taste like chicken), I had a limited amount of time left for my Coues hunt. I decided to hunt the last 6 days after Christmas, thinking that it would give me the best opportunity to catch a buck in the rut. I was able to slip out for a day & a half opening weekend, but only saw a few does & 2 small bucks. The 2nd Saturday I went to a new area w/ a couple of friends, Josiah & Mike, to help me glass. The weather was rainy & windy and our days efforts were rewarded w/ a glimpse of a deer about 2 miles away. Josiah called later in the week and said he could slip out for part of a day, so off we went to another area. This particular area was pretty remote and looked very promising to us, though we only saw a few more does. A little snow on the ground gave away the presence of many more deer. The day after Christmas, I was back to glass the area I had first checked out opening weekend. Josiah & another friend, Jesse, came up in the afternoon and between the 3 of us we glassed a total of 6 does. On Monday I checked an area where my 13 yr. old daughter, Sophia, found a 90" shed during the Spring. I didn't even see a doe all day. Now I'm telling myself that the rut will probably kick in any day now, I've still got 4 more days. My good friend, Josiah calls Monday night to tell me a big Winter storm is coming in on Wednesday, that we have 1 day to kill a big buck. We put our heads together and decided the most remote spot would be our best chance. Tuesday morning dawns cold & windy and Josiah is half way up on a mountain nearly a mile away to glass for me (it takes a true friend to do that for you). I'm in a fairly thick area where I can glass little areas but, I'm really limited as to what I can see. However, I'm confident in who I have on the mountain (I've sat & glassed w/ him before). About 10:30-11:00 the wind died down and then around 11:15 Josiah radios that he's located 3 does. I moved to try to glass the area but, can see a very limited amount of ground so I move back to the south to watch an area where we had seen does on a prior trip. Then at 11:45 I get the news; a buck, and he's a pretty good buck. The buck is feeding, stopping occasionally to rub some small trees. He's approximately 200 yds from the does. If we hurry and are lucky, he'll stay up. If he beds or gets in w/ the does we'll really have our work cut out for us. A stalk is planned & Josiah guides me around the does and up to within 100 yds of the unsuspecting buck. He never knew what hit him. WOW!

SirRoyal POSTED A PICTURE WITH A SCORE DOWN THE THREAD :)

post-5090-1293765697_thumb.jpg

post-5090-1293831346_thumb.jpg

post-5090-1293831378_thumb.jpg

post-5090-1293831726_thumb.jpg

Man, wow, what a great looking buck! Lots of hard work for sure and it played out perfectly. Thanks for sharing the story with us.

Ok maybe it's just me but uhhhhhhh..... THAT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT BUCK!!!! Come on man post some details! Congrats on a killer deer for sure!! That right side looks to be in the mid 50's for sure! WOW!!! Any chance of posting a few more pics? Ya know, like different angles of the rack, maybe a hero photo with you in it with a lot of background....... ;)

Congratulations on a beautiful buck. Great story to go along as well. Thanks for posting. :)

TJ

Definately a Niiiiicccce Buck !

He's all head and Horns ! :unsure: B)

post-1903-1293809225_thumb.jpg

nice buck!

Wellcome to the site. Your avater looks exactly like my 11month old Lexie. How old is your lab?

........not meaning to take away from the post just wanted to wish our new member to the best whitetail site on the web.

TJ