Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Applying In Other States?

What other states do you apply in, or does AZ offer enough for you to satisfy your hunting desires?

If you apply in other states, which state, species and why?

Are there states/species that you have quit applying in? Why?

From my perspective:

NM- I used to apply for elk in NM, and drew a 16 archery bull tag years ago and had a very enjoyable hunt. But when NM raised the tags price to $700+, my school-teacher budget opted me out. I have had a few NM coues hunts in 23, but figure that I can hunt coues in AZ for $200 less while I am waiting to draw another December tag. With a new 2% NR law proposed in NM, I may try this year for antelope before the law possibly goes into effect.

UT- I have had 2 southern general deer hunts and will apply again this year, although the sea of orange is dense. I have also hunted archery deer in northern Utah. After drawing an antelope tag in UT in 2002, I quit applying as the #BP required to draw again was high, and the requirement in order to apply of buying a hunting license that one may possibly not use if not drawn.

WY- Had a great antelope hunt last year and will apply again. It may be a few years between draws but I can wait. Antelope is the only species I have applied for in WY- probably due to distance.

CO- Used to archery hunt for elk and deer before the school year started. That changed when deer went to a draw, and as did the unit in which I hunted elk. I have been on one rifle bull hunt, but the number of hunters made the hunt very dissatisfying and frustrating. I have not applied for a draw hunt in CO, all the prior hunts were OTC.

AZ- One can hunt coues, javelina, archery mule deer, turkey every year, not to mention quail and small game, while waiting to draw elk, antelope, sheep, Dec Coues. Plenty of hunts for one's self and with friends to use up vacation time and weekends. Not to mention other activities besides hunting (like family, fishing and photography) that require time.

Doug~RR

It sounds like this question is geared more for AZ residents but I'll throw in my application activities.

First off, AZ is my favorate place to hunt. Elk, coues bucks, desert mulies etc......Even though AZ is my favorate place, I love hunting traditional 'western' big game plain and simple. Since good AZ tags are so hard to come by my statagey is to build my points till I have the max points for the current trend for the hunts I want. Then I burn them. In effect, I take a number, get in line and wait my turn....

I have to admit, it was VERY hard for me this year to not burn my points on a good archery elk hunt this year but felt by playing the odds for the best season dates (in theory) that my points would be best burned next year.

That said, I apply in quite a few states every year for more western big game hunting opprotunities. Depending on how much cash I have and/or time in a given year will depend on whether or not I only apply for points in most states or if I go for gold.

AK Sheep, caribou, elk.

AZ Deer, elk, sheep, lope

WY Elk

UT Elk, sheep, deer, lope

NM Elk

NV Elk, sheep, lope, deer

CO Elk, lope, deer

I use to apply in CA for desert big horns but gave up.

I am going to start applying for WY deer and lope. Also will start applying for NM lope.

All in all, I spend thousands of dollars applying in other states, 1000 of which is on licenses and application fees that are NOT refundable. I burn 1K every year but it goes to a good cause. My dollars will contribute to the quality of my experience once I get drawn and go hunting.

Having 2 young kids in the house money can be an obsticle most of the time. I work super super hard at managing my money to be able to apply for and pay for tags as well as have enough dough to go. Airfare, food, gas, supplies the list goes on and on. You all know how much I love to shoot and thats not cheap either. Range memberships cost me 350 bucks a year, several pounds of powder (25 to 50 bucks a pound) and 750-2000 bullets (.30 to .90 per bullet) depending on the year. The key is I watch my finances and have a yearly plan that gets adjusted every time money is saved and/or spent on hunting plans or taxidermy bills (750-1500 bucks depending on the year). It is alot of work and frustrating at times but rewarding in the end. It also helps that I have a wonderfull woman who does'nt spend as much as me and does'nt want to and wants me to live my dreams. How the he!! did I get so blessed? I have no idea but I am forever gratefull to the Big Boss upstairs and to my woman.

Good Topic, Doug.

This year I applied for bonus points only here in AZ simply because I want to hunt other states. I have been wanting to apply in some other states for a while, but the last 3 years have been fortunate enough to draw two archery antelope tags and one archery elk tag, leaving me no time to hunt anywhere else.

So my plan this year was to eliminate any chance of drawing tags here in AZ. I am going to apply for NM antelope for sure. I am considering WY antelope but it's so stinking far away I might rethink that. I am also trying to gather as much info as I can on the general Utah Muley hunts. The deadline is fast approaching but it looks like I might be applying there as well. I also have family in MN and they always get together for a big hunt every year.

Hopefully I get lucky and get a tag somewhere!!

Great question. I could definitely be satisfied with staying right here in Arizona if the tags were availible to do so. We have a lot of great hunts for species that I like to chase, it is just that the competition is tough for the limited tags. I have not done much out of state hunting, but hope to draw some tags over the next few years in Utah, Colorado, NM and Nevada. I have a number of accumulated points in Utah and Colorado for deer and elk. Because I only put in for high quality hunts it is doubtful I will ever see a New Mexico tag, but I put in anyway.

And then there is Alaska. :) I go there because the hunting and fishing is great, and I have a good friend who is an avid hunter, who can usually steer me to an opportunity...and, I don't have to DRAW!!!, just show up and buy the tag.

I look forward to reading what others are doing.

I only apply in Utah for Mnt Goat and Mule deer. I have 9 points for mule deer and 8 for goat. I'm cashing in my 8 points for the nanny tag this year. Last year 7 points was 100% draw. I'll never catch up to the billy tag.

I have been buying points in Colorado.

NM is too expensive and the seasons too short for elk, but I will apply for Aoudad tag this year.

I am probably going to give up on Utah, unless you are already in max points you will never get there from the point creep. And the odds for the random tags are not worth throwing the money at.

I have already pretty much given up on New Mexico as I believe their seasons are to short and expensive and if there new law passes I don't know why any non resident would put in there starting 2012.

I am sticking with Colorado for deer and sheep, the only thing I don't like about Colorado is I believe if you draw any tag you should loose your points. There are way to many people with 10+ points that have been hunting every year.

I have nothing but warm fuzzy fealings for ndow and can't wait to hunt there in the future.

I am thinking that I might get in the Mt. Goat drawing in Montana or Wyoming to take the place of Utah.

Good luck to everyone!

I am probably going to give up on Utah, unless you are already in max points you will never get there from the point creep. And the odds for the random tags are not worth throwing the money at.

I have already pretty much given up on New Mexico as I believe their seasons are to short and expensive and if there new law passes I don't know why any non resident would put in there starting 2012.

I am sticking with Colorado for deer and sheep, the only thing I don't like about Colorado is I believe if you draw any tag you should loose your points. There are way to many people with 10+ points that have been hunting every year.

I have nothing but warm fuzzy fealings for ndow and can't wait to hunt there in the future.

I am thinking that I might get in the Mt. Goat drawing in Montana or Wyoming to take the place of Utah.

Good luck to everyone!

I agree about Ut, but I know two brothers that have drawn NR Henrys mule deer, Book Cliffs Mule Deer and Monroe archery elk with WAY less than max points. They beat incredible odds.

Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, and New Mexico for me. CO is home, so it's a no brainer. Utah used to be home, and I used an "alternative" draw strategy for the past 15 years which has left me with mid-level points for deer/elk/antelope and I hate to give up now, since I should draw all three species in the next 10 years or so, plus it's relatively cheap. Wyoming is new as of last year and I haven't gotten lucky in NM (and it looks like I'll have to give it up if they limit non-residents to 2% of the tags with a $90 license purchase). I'm a long way off from seeing an elk or pronghorn tag in AZ, but I should be able to hunt coues a few times in the next several years.

I only recently started hunting other states. So far it's been NM for turkey and Alabama for deer and wild hogs. I will likely hunt turkey in Alabama this spring too. Tags are all over the counter and you can shoot tons of deer and hogs in Alabama. Even the turkey season is set to something like 5 gobblers a season (not that everyone really gets 5, but still it's nice to have a liberal season)! Flights to Alabama from Phx are cheap and direct, so it can be almost cheaper for me to hunt there than NM.

Would love to hunt Antelope somewhere, probably WY or CO. That's probably the next thing on my list.

Interesting discussion Doug...thanks for starting it.

Great Topic and timely as I was just speaking with my wife about this. I wanted to build on 308Nut's post as he made some great points about budgets, which I am sure is a concern for all of us.

My biggest issue is time. My little ones (5 y/o girl and 2 y/o boy) are at the age where things are starting to happen for them where it's important for me to be there. Whether it is dance or Girl Scouts or just kindergarten I find myself (not to mention my wife) without the extra hours in the day that I used to have. If it comes down to hitting the hills for javi's or helping my little girl with a Scout project I'll choose the Scout project every time.

I love this site because everyone is so like minded in their passion for the outdoors but everyone also seems to have a grasp on the importance of family. In my life my kids are paramount. Just wondering others that may be or have been in my situation are doing to balance things.

BTW....One day I will hunt moose in Alaska:)...I hope!

I plan on hunting other states starting next year but just for one species....antelope. I am able to hunt on the Navajo every year so I have more options than most and am able to hunt elk, deer etc. in the state and on the rez. So really no need to put in out of state. But other states offer antelope hunts and will start putting in. My goal in life is to harvest an antelope in every state that offers a hunt.

It's a simple numbers game. Put in for as many hunts as you can afford and keep your fingers crossed that you can draw one or two!!!

I'll be putting in for the Oregon Dec Columbia Whitetail tag. Well they do draw one non-resident maybe I can get lucky like I have been in AZ in the past.

I'll also put in for the central OR coast Dec Elk Cow hunt. It's a new draw and I'll probably draw that one.

I used to hunt Idaho when I was considered a youth. They had a good NR youth system. It was real cheap as long as you were with a resident adult.

One of these days I'm gonna start applying for Mt goats and other sheep hunts. I real would like to be able to apply for the Ibex in NM. Ive never been drawn for an antelope tag. Im thinking more and more about a road trip to Wyoming or elsewhere. It would be great if I didnt have to wait 8-10 years for an early archery bull tag. I think I'm pretty fourtanate to have been born, and grow up hunting, in AZ. There is enough variety in critters and terrain, I'll never get bored.