Hunter X

You Decide...

That was a purdy coues.

Some one needs to get to the range ........and stay there untill they know how to use their rifle. Or take up golf.

I think most of you are taking this post the wrong way. It's not about if hunters can make these long range shots. There are a lot of guys out there that can do it very well. It's also not about if these guys should have been taking the shots they were taking. What I want to know is after watching the video and seeing how the deer reacted to being shot at from these distances would you consider shooting deer at long range(500+yards) fair chase?

Hunter X you are clearly taking the replies the wrong way...."IT IS ABOUT IF THESE GUYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKING THE SHOTS THEY WERE TAKING"???????????....WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IS IT MAKE IF THE SHOT IS 200 or 500 yds IF THE SHOOTER CAN ACTUALLY HIT THE FRICKING ANIMAL (in the kill zone), the animal is dead!!!!

What is fair to you is unfair to me and vise versa...It just drives me crazy when other hunters get on their high horse and frown on other hunters....

.WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IS IT MAKE IF THE SHOT IS 200 or 500 yds IF THE SHOOTER CAN ACTUALLY HIT THE FRICKING ANIMAL (in the kill zone), the animal is dead!!!!

now that is the truth ;)

pertaining to how deer react from long range shots - rifle or bow - which scares you worse, someone whispering BOO in your ear from 3 feet away you didn't know was there or someone a long ways off yelling BOO.

I think that it all depends on the situation. I shot over a whitetail this year at 500 yards and I have never seen a deer run so fast. The day before I spooked two bucks and got a quick shot at them as they ran up a hill. My heart was pounding and I could not steady the cross hairs on that deer long enough to get a good shot at him. I still tried though. I am not saying that I am right or wrong for doing so but I did it and I am okay with admitting it. That shot was 300 yards and I was kneeling which was half of the problem. Anyway I missed that buck twice and the other buck once before they finally went over the ridge. I also have to throw in that these bucks were standing still, broadside when I shot and not running while I was shooting at them. They new something was wrong, they busted me long before I even knew they where there but they didn't run off nearly as fast as the deer that had no idea where I was or even what happened.

Now something that I learned from this situation was that I need to practice shooting in more than the prone position. I think it is also about what you learn in the field that tells a lot about you. If I had practiced kneeling shots at farther distances then I probably would have come home with a really nice buck last year. I will be practicing from all sorts of shooting positions this year so that this will not happen to me again.

I think that what Mr. Jonathan said is true, this is more about how we conduct ourselves than it is an ethics issue, after all we are ultimately killing an animal. I think that it's hard for some people to realize that.

There were also a lot of shots taken in that video that I would have never even thought about taking. I don't care how big a buck is or at what distance he is, if all I have to shoot at is his butt, he is going to live to see another day. I would never ever take that shot.

Well as far as the deers behavior at long range, they know that the shooter couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, so why not stay and graze. Shorter range, the blast of the rifle coupled with breaking bushes and flying rocks most likely made them run off.

Hey, while you guys sit here and over-analyze hunting and try and figure out the chemical equation for dumb....i'm gonna go have a good ol' time doing some old fashioned camping and hunting. Plain and simple. There is always going to be a moron out there who can't hit the broad side of a barn at any distance and doesn't think he needs practice. So why sit here and try and figure out why that is? Go hunting, tell stories, make memories, and have a good time.

Hey, while you guys sit here and over-analyze hunting and try and figure out the chemical equation for dumb....i'm gonna go have a good ol' time doing some old fashioned camping and hunting. Plain and simple. There is always going to be a moron out there who can't hit the broad side of a barn at any distance and doesn't think he needs practice. So why sit here and try and figure out why that is? Go hunting, tell stories, make memories, and have a good time.

Well that should be the end of this thread. That sums it up pretty well as far as I am concerned.

This video and thread are detrimental to hunting in general. No one who hunts stands to win anything from this kind of "fairness" rhetoric. The animals, believe it or not, could care less about our ideals of fairness, a dead animal is a dead animal regardless of how far or with what kind of weapon it was killed. It makes no difference to them. The real questions should be asked about our conduct, why we make the choices that we do, because unlike animals, we can sit and reflect on those choices and their consequences and hopefully become not just better hunters but better people. That is the difference between this discussion and the other thread on "standards." This video does nothing to demonstrate fairness, but rather an exceptional lack of consideration for our conduct in the field. Just listen to the conversation on the radios. Funny how that isn't mentioned in the fairness slant. Is the disservice to hunting that this video does justified by trying to promote a highly subjective stance on what is fair?

Hunter X you are clearly taking the replies the wrong way...."IT IS ABOUT IF THESE GUYS SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKING THE SHOTS THEY WERE TAKING"???????????....WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IS IT MAKE IF THE SHOT IS 200 or 500 yds IF THE SHOOTER CAN ACTUALLY HIT THE FRICKING ANIMAL (in the kill zone), the animal is dead!!!!

What is fair to you is unfair to me and vise versa...It just drives me crazy when other hunters get on their high horse and frown on other hunters....

+ 1 on those posts quoted above.

As shown in the video it can be incredibly difficult to make a long range shot. In order to be good at those shots, the hunter has to spend alot more time at the range than most hunters do. Is it unfair that a hunter works extra hard to become proficient at long range shooting? Is a 200 yard shot really that much better? It's not exactly up close and personal either. Most of the time the animal has no idea you are there even under 200 yards. Of course an animal reacts more strongly to a close gunshot than a far one. So I guess your point is that it's only fair if the animal won't stand still for a 2nd shot. But to me, there shouldn't need to be a second shot. And by that measure, isn't javelina hunting completely unfair? I shot at a javelina at 20 yards with a pistol this weekend, missed and it came right back to me at 10 yards. Is that fair chase?

Lots of people think archery hunters are not doing fair chase if they sit in a blind and hunt over water or salt. That's close range....is it fair chase? It can take a ton of patience and time to get an animal that way at 20 yards.

and thanks for your time putting together that video. It was interesting, although not a good portrayal of hunters.

No I'm not taking the replies the wrong way. I know some of these shots shouldn't have been taken. I never said hey guys check out this awesome video it's pretty funny. I simply ask if shooting animals at long range could be considered fair chase? Not if the guys were making bad shots or not. I'm sorry if the video offended a few of you but the only way to show how an animal reacts to getting missed at long range is to show an animal being missed at long range. I asked for people to watch the deers reaction and nothing more and clearly stated this. I want to know if people think a deer will react the same being shot at from 300 as it would from 500+ and what type of reactions they have noticed in their own experiences. If you have anything to say relating to how an animal reacts to being shot at at various distances please feel free to respond otherwise I'd appreciate it if people would stop high jacking this thread.

Thanks!

I think if there was ever an appropriate visual definition for the word "moron", we have just witnessed it. I rarely chime in on stuff like this, but how in the heck can you have such fantastic footage of those misses and not stand up and scream "STOP SHOOTING" to your buddy who can't hit the broadside of anything on this planet. With that said, at least you got some footage of some nice animals, so thanks for that.

No I'm not taking the replies the wrong way. I know some of these shots shouldn't have been taken. I never said hey guys check out this awesome video it's pretty funny. I simply ask if shooting animals at long range could be considered fair chase? Not if the guys were making bad shots or not. I'm sorry if the video offended a few of you but the only way to show how an animal reacts to getting missed at long range is to show an animal being missed at long range. I asked for people to watch the deers reaction and nothing more and clearly stated this. I want to know if people think a deer will react the same being shot at from 300 as it would from 500+ and what type of reactions they have noticed in their own experiences. If you have anything to say relating to how an animal reacts to being shot at at various distances please feel free to respond otherwise I'd appreciate it if people would stop high jacking this thread.

Thanks!

There are a select few guys on here who would say that deer act the same being shot at from 100-1000 yards. They drop in their tracks. I haven't spent a lot of time past 750, so I'm not one of them. Fair chase is a concept defined by some organazations to set a standard to allow animals into their books. Other organizations define it to what they believe is right or wrong. People who choose for themselves what is right wrong are just people who know the difference. I'm drawing the conclusion that you dont think it is fair to the animal at longer ranges because they don't spook as bad. How about the guys who are super sneaky and get right on their game. Is that fair? The animal had no chance because the archer had a 8yard shot. I guess what I'm trying to say is I dont follow your logic. Isn't one of the attributes of a good hunter, of any kind, to not be detected by the animal he or she is hunting? If the animal doesn't know you are there, hasn't the hunter done one of their tasks well? Should we announce to our target animal, that we are in lethal range, to give them a chance to flee? Ive heard guys joke around and say "hey that first one was a warning shot, I wanted to give him a sporting chance". Hunting is hunting, not killing or harvesting. Stuff happens, people miss. Ive missed, I dont always have a reason or excuse, I just missed.

This post kinda upset me. there some hunters that can shoot that range, this individule can not. he/she was missing by more than 10 feet on some shots. i think it is fair to the animal because it is still hunting as long as you are able and confident to shoot that distant. i shot my buck this year at 745 yards. this may sound a little odd but I was able to put the wind and angle in to a program to tell me exactly where to hold with my last cross hair that I have 600 yds. One shot one kill, the buck was dead before i heard the report or the thump when the bullet hits. If Someone is confident I dont think there is a problem. IMO!!!!