Sign in to follow this  
deserttacoma84

An interesting question for you all...

So my brother and I drew are first sept archery bull tag in 6a for the september hunt. Both of us are seriously amped for this hunt and no doubt are going to put in some serious time to make sure we are successful!

The debate he and I are having is how long to hold out for the big bull. Granted everyone has their trophy or bull that is special, but scoring wise would you shoot anything over 300 in the first 5 days (he says a solid 5x5 he would shoot) or hold out for maybe 350+ (I want to hold out for the monster)? I have read some other posts from people in regards to 6a and they said there's more quantity than quality... does that mean 350+ may be out of the question in this unit? Curious to all of your thoughts and any advice you care to share!

Thx.

This is just MY OPINION, but leave the tape measure at home and shoot a bull that looks good to you.

I would go with Desertbulls post. Also depends on your prescouting, are you seeing lots of big bulls? If no then you know your chances could be slim.

theres 350 bulls in 6a, but theres a lot more 300 bulls in 6a shoot what makes you happy and not what makes other people happy.

I'll be holding out for a 350ish bull up until the last few days and then anything goes. In my opinion there is no difference between a spike or a rag 6. Neither are going on the wall. I'll be looking for a wall hanger and settle for a meat bull towards the end.

There are certainly 350 bulls in 6A, and based on the shear amount of elk in that unit, there is definitely more than a couple. The problems lie in that I'd say that the 350 bulls in that unit deal with more hunting pressure than any other unit, just look at the millions of tags they've been giving out in that unit as of late. If you want to hold out for a bull based on his score, then just like the other thread says, more power to you, it's your tag and there's nothing wrong with doing that. I tell anyone I hunt with that is holding out for a specific score that looking for that special score bull involves accepting that you might come home empty handed. A successful hunt is defined differently by everyone, some consider the experience a success, some whether or not they kill, some whether or not they kill a big one. You need to look in the mirror and decide what will define your success on this hunt and you must be honest with yourself. If you truly want a 350 bull than shoot nothing less than a 350 and accept that you might just come home empty handed. If you want meat then kill the first bull that gives you a shot, if you pass a bull be willing to accept coming home empty handed. If the experience is what you are after, then just go out, hunt hard, and when one comes by that gets your juices flowing, kill him. The worse thing you can do on this hunt is come home after it's done and say I wish I would of done this or that, or shot this or shot that. That tells me your mind wasn't made up going into the hunt about what you truly want to get out of it. My advice is......no regrets.

A pretty wise guy once told me (and I met him on this forum) that its a lot easier to hold out for that monster bull once you already have a nice bull on your wall.

As was stated shoot a bull that you will be happy with.There are so many people that get tied up with score.It's between you and the animal,score only matters when you have no picture to relate the size of the animal.Hunt hard,have fun,and go home knowing that you did your best.Congrats on drawing a great hunt.I would say that I might run into you except I drew my first choice.It's been 5 years, but I'm going Elk hunting!!!!

I am not so much hung up on score and I am sure when I see the right bull it will feel right. I think I am trying to talk myself into not shooting the first one that comes my way. Being that I plan on takin my 2 week vacation and scouting the heck out of the unit and coming up with various plans of attack, I just wanted to know what some of you would do in my situation. I know its a rut hunt but I also know there will be 700 some elk hunters in that unit pushing elk around. I know it's going to be a great experience either way. Thanks to all so far who have shared their input! :) keep'em comin'

Hold out for a big bull for the first half of the hunt; after that, you should have a good understanding on what to look for during the second half.

A buddy of mine had that hunt 2 years ago (6AS), he wanted a nice bull, he and I hunted on my bull hunt the year before in 3C so we both expected A LOT. First day had a smaller bull standing within 20 yds, he didn't shoot. Each day of the hunt he was into bulls, but something happened (wind, other hunters, shot was deflected off a branch, etc), the elk were not rutting like they were in 3C, I thought I was a champion elk caller as each day in 3C I would call in many bulls.....not so fast in 6A. He ended up not taking a bull. He complains today why he didn't take that opening day bull to get one under his belt.

I would say if you have a chance at a bull that you are happy with, kill it.

Keep in mind you got a bull tag, take a look at the number of cow tags there is going to be a lot of hunters. Its a bid unit and the elk do move a lot there.

Good Luck, shoot straight and have FUN on the hunt.

Redman

I would wait and see how the hunt goes. After a couple of uneventful days I always find my lofty expectations of a trophy have been downgraded to anything with antlers. If you don't see any bulls for the first few days and could still pass on a 300 bull, you are much more patient than me. Good luck with your hunt.