CouesWhitetail

San Carlos Gobbler!!

Awesome! Great job Amanda! Nice write up too. One day I'd really like to hunt the SC for turkeys.

Here's an idea for the tail.

post-478-0-46271300-1302305519_thumb.jpg

I took a big chunk of manzanita and sliced off about 3/4", sanded it down, inscribed when it was taken and oiled it. Wrapped some leather around the beard and tied it through a couple holes in the plate. The plate is connected to a second piece of wood with 2 small dowells and the fan is sandwiched between them.

When is the window to buy reservation turkey tags?

You generally have to buy them 6-12 months ahead of the season. So you can buy spring 2012 tags now. here is the link to their website with the hunting schedule:

http://www.scatrwd.com/Hunting_Schedule.html

The spring tags sell out fairly quickly, so if you are sure you want one, I would get it now. The fall tags don't sell out as fast, but I love that hunt too. I killed a turkey there last fall and had a wonderful time.

They have moved the tags back later into April, for awhile they had them in March which seemed early to me. They also went back to having the tags good for all three units instead of a designated unit like it was this year. For me, that just means it's harder to choose where to hunt (too many options!) :)

Awesome! Great job Amanda! Nice write up too. One day I'd really like to hunt the SC for turkeys.

Here's an idea for the tail.

post-478-0-46271300-1302305519_thumb.jpg

I took a big chunk of manzanita and sliced off about 3/4", sanded it down, inscribed when it was taken and oiled it. Wrapped some leather around the beard and tied it through a couple holes in the plate. The plate is connected to a second piece of wood with 2 small dowells and the fan is sandwiched between them.

Thanks for the idea! That looks great.

Does anyone do anything creative with feathers? Maybe painting on them, or like I saw one lady use some to coat a cleaned deer skull...that looked cool. I hate to throw the feathers away, they are so beautiful.

You should have held out for one with 2 beards, I did ;) !!!

200050_1714575942159_1171012427_31432598_4833949_n.jpg

205130_1714570382020_1171012427_31432592_3212513_n.jpg

I am glad I got a tag for next year on the way home. Nice story and congrats on the bird and exciting hunt, the amount of gobbling was something else up there this year!

Bret M.

Great story Amanda,we were up there the first hunt,and met Dewey.His traditional bow,and arrows are awesome!!!He told us that he got a javelina on the rez with his setup,and that he would try for a turkey on the second hunt.Congrats to you on a fine bird.Cliff

Two beards! Wait until we get the pictures back of Tomgobblers beast. Lets just say he has more than 4 beards. Coolest turkey I have ever seen. Tommy can tell the story when my brother in law gets me the pictures tomorrow. It was a great hunt and we had a blast. There are so many freakin turkeys up there. If you were a roadhunter you could kill one within an hour of being there. Congrats on a beautiful bird Amanda. What a hunt.

You should have held out for one with 2 beards, I did ;) !!!

200050_1714575942159_1171012427_31432598_4833949_n.jpg

205130_1714570382020_1171012427_31432592_3212513_n.jpg

I am glad I got a tag for next year on the way home. Nice story and congrats on the bird and exciting hunt, the amount of gobbling was something else up there this year!

Bret M.

Cool!! Congrats Bret!