CouesWhitetail

San Carlos Gobbler!!

Well, I didn't have much time to hunt, but I went up yesterday evening and got there with a little time for an evening hunt. I went to my first area and found that the tank was dry and so I thought I would go to another tank I knew about where I had shot a gobbler years ago. Anyway, I sneak down there and find that that tank is dry also, but there were some tracks and scratchings around there so I knew birds had been there. I set up and called until dark, but no luck.

As I tried to figure out where the birds were getting water, I remembered a place in a creek nearby that has water year round. So I decided to move camp to where there were several ridges leading into that creek. I figured the birds might shift closer to that area and so I camped on a ridge that allowed me to listen for birds to the east and west. It was windy that evening, so no birds heard. And when I awoke in the morning, the wind was howling still!! Bummer! I didn't have high hopes when I got out and did an owl hoot and wouldn't you know it but a gobbler sounds off within probably 150 yards. I cut the distance in half and he gobbled several times while I was on my way. But it sounded like he was moving away from me. I set up and called and got no response for a half hour or so and I figured they just moved away. I pack up and move that way and get over a little rise to call into the next ridge....I call fairly loud, thinking I haven't heard the birds in awhile, they must be far away. GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE!!! RIGHT NEXT TO ME! I mean he must have been on the other side of the juniper from me! Holy smokes. I was not ready for that. I set my pack down so I can shoulder the gun if he comes around the tree, but I think he heard me move my pack. I wait silently for several minutes. I call and wait...no response. Oh well, I figure he spooked...he was just too close! I hear more gobblers calling frequently on another ridge back toward where I camped. So I move back that way and spot a gobbler moving in the trees. I think it's the one I spooked just slinking away from me.

I call a few times trying to get the bird that is calling from a farther ridge to answer me. He does and he calls a bunch and seems to be moving fast in my direction. But he is still a good 1/2 mile or more from me.

I move up onto the next ridge and listen. GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE! from in the saddle in front of me. I move around a tree and spot the gobbler heading my way. I see a small flat that looks like it's perfect for him to cross in. I set up a hen decoy and tuck myself into some rocks, figuring he won't come to me in those rocks, he will take the easy side-hill into the flat where he will see my decoy. Well, I call several times and don't get a response. But then I hear him gobble much closer and heading my way. Oh no...he has worked uphill and is heading toward me but from the rocks behind me. I will have to wait for him to circle completely around. But just then I spot movement in front of me. It's another gobbler that has come in silently and is strutting! Alright! GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE from the first bird directly behind me. Now I have to decide if I should risk spooking that bird behind me in order to get the gun shouldered for the shot at the bird in front of me! The bird behind me sounds so close that he could probably see me if I move. I decide to risk it and shoulder the gun while the silent gobbler is behind a bush. He steps out and peers around....I decide to let him get closer...he continues on and then stops and puts his head up and stands still for quite awhile...BOOOOOOM!!!! I shoot him and he drops in his tracks!

What a beautiful morning and an utterly gorgeous bird. I couldn't be happier. I weighed the bird after I gutted him and he was exactly 20 lbs. He had a 10 inch beard and 1-inch spurs.

here is the rocky area where I set up:

post-1-0-48686400-1302132462_thumb.jpg

here is a view from those rocks toward where the gobbler came in.

post-1-0-75722100-1302132470_thumb.jpg

and here are some pics of the bird. I am truly amazed how beautiful they are when the sun hits them.

post-1-0-62359600-1302132476_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-62722100-1302132739_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-22129900-1302132756_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-41939500-1302132777_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-46529900-1302132482_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-80736900-1302134610_thumb.jpg

After the shot I paced off the distance and then used my range finder to find out how far the shot was. It was 60 yards! I had thought it was 40-50 yards! The bird dropped in its tracks...I used the winchester supreme turkey load in my 12 gauge with an extra full choke. Worked GREAT!

post-1-0-70001300-1302132466_thumb.jpg

I feel very blessed to be fortunate enough to hunt on San Carlos. It is an amazing place for wildlife. While driving home, I saw a turkey cross the road. I stopped and heard a gobble where the bird headed. So I stopped to listen and it turns out there were about four other gobblers there and one was strutting in the road. Nice!

post-1-0-20264900-1302132456_thumb.jpg

Awesome story Amanda. Congrats on a great gobbler. We were camping up in Point of Pines a couple of weeks ago and saw a lot of turkeys. I had one Tom pretty worked up around camp as I was practicing my calling for my upcoming hunt in 27. Some great country up there.

Way to go Amanda!!!!!!! No tag for me this year, but I'm heading-up to SLC to help my buddy on a hunt next weekend, and I can't wait!!!

Thanks for sharing!

S.

:)

Great job Amanda! I would love to hear your owl hoot in person sometime. I imagine it sounds real good considering all of the owl studies you have done. Congrats on another fine Merriams bird. I liked the play by play detail description.

Gobble Gobble, we are headed to Mex for Goulds in the morning, Gobble Gobble

Great job Amanda! I would love to hear your owl hoot in person sometime. I imagine it sounds real good considering all of the owl studies you have done. Congrats on another fine Merriams bird. I liked the play by play detail description.

Gobble Gobble, we are headed to Mex for Goulds in the morning, Gobble Gobble

I am so jealous! I know you will have a great time! Please share your adventures with us when you get back.

AWESOME! Congrats Amanda on a beautiful bird. Great story and pictures!

Amanda, nice bird, great story. It is pretty scarry that the danks you expected to hold water were dry. Could be a rough fire season.

great bird amanda. congrats. I still think the merriams I got from the SC was prettier than the goulds I got a month later in SAZ.

Congrats on the birds and thanks for posting gets my excited for my tag

Great story and congratulations on your beautiful bird. You shouldn't be hunting alone so I'll just have to tag along next year to keep you company. lol I'm heading out in the morning to retrieve a couple tree stands that have been snowed in, over the winter, if they are still there and do a little turkey scouting the next couple of days. You got me all excited now and can't wait to hear some gobblers. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. It made me feel like I was sitting there watching it all unfold. :)

TJ

WooHoo! Atta girl! Way to go Amanda!!!!!!

Congratulations again Amanda.

Really pretty coloration on the feathers.

You sure got into a ton of action there in the end.

I could picture you through the hunt as I read the story.

Great story and congrats on a beautiful bird. I actually got to watch 5 gobblers fight over 20 hens this morning while doing a little scouting for the junior hunt. Awesome birds and they really know how to put on a show. Congrats again.