azcouesfanatic

Arizona Goulds w/ Bow

Hello Everyone,

Well after 9 years of applying and with 11 bonus points I finally drew an Arizona Goulds turkey tag. To say I was a little excited would be an understatement. After talking with several people and getting information on where to go I made my first scouting trip with Corky Richardson in March. We did not see any birds but we had two gobbling to us and we saw lots of sign. Corky thanks for taking the time to help me out. I went back down in April with Randy Spray and we were able to locate multiple birds and we saw several birds. April 21st found Jay Scott and I headed down to begin the hunt. We arrived in the unit around 4pm and we had plenty of time to set up camp and roost birds. I put out a trail camera two weeks earlier when I was down with Randy so I was very excited to check my camera. I had over 600 pictures and roughly 400 of those pictures were of turkeys. You will see that I was able to get some great pictures.

That night found me sitting on a high point near a couple of roosting areas while Jay was set up near another roosting area. I heard a bird around 7pm and he was much closer to Jay than me. I met up with Jay that night and found out he had roosted two different birds which was awesome. Jay got some great video footage of one of the birds roosted in the tree. To check out the video go tot he link below. That night Randy Spray arrived in camp and we were set for the morning hunt. We were up at 330 and set up on a gobbling bird by 5am. This bird had hens and he just would not cooperate. This bird strutted on the road for nearly an 1.5 hours and he just tore up the road. To see the pictures check out Jay Scott's video. We were able to get on our second bird but he also had some hens with him.

We decided to head to another area since it was not even 8am yet. On the way the other area I spotted a small water tank and I wanted to check it for tracks. I jumped out of the ranger and let it running. While I was walking down to the tank Jay turned off the ranger and a bird gobbled a 1/2 mile up the canyon. There was an old two track road just above the tank so we drove the ranger to the road and parked it. When we parked the bird gobbled again and he was even closer. We scrambled to get ready and the bird gobbled again and he was right on top of us. I quickly nocked an arrow and Randy said, "there he is." I looked up and saw the bird only 20 yards away and he was till gobbling. I drew my bow and Jay chirped a few times using his mouth and the bird gobbled again. I sent my goldtip 5575 tipped with a 125 grain vortex broadhead on its way from my Elite GT500 and that was all she wrote. The bird went twenty yards and expired. I can honestly say this was one of the most interesting set of events I have ever experienced.

Special thanks to Corky Richardson, Jay Scott, Randy Spray, Elite Archery, Goldtip Arrows, and Fusion vanes. If you get a chance check out the video.

Video Link: http://www.jayscottoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Brian Rimsza

post-3635-0-06422700-1303661240_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-71659400-1303661251_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-68499200-1303661262_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-19124600-1303661278_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-02650000-1303661304_thumb.jpg

Awesome job Brian! Way to get it done! Glad everything worked out for you.

I will be down Thursday and hope to have as much success as you.

Great bird. Congrats.

Brian

Good looking Bird! and great job getting him with your bow.

-Ryan

"Fantastic job on the bird. You have established one heck of an AZ hunting resume"

DUH! Congrats on the bird, looks like a solid coues spot as well, nice and thick!

Where can I find the video of this hunt? I looked on Jay scott blog and can't find the video for this goulds hunt