tjhunt2

Turkey 2011

Last weekend wasn't a very productive scouting outing. Peg, our two dogs, and myself was to set up camp for this weekend's turkey hunt. Our usual camp spot was taken along with every other spot near by so we parked right off the control road and waited until they finally left on Sunday. After picking up their trash and putting out their fire we finally got camp in place and headed home. I was pi$$ed to say the least how these folks could just walk away with a fire burning in all this wind and leave so much trash. I should have taken down their license plate #. While driving home, and anticipating next weeks hunt, we are excited for the season to start. Now it all starts to unravel this last week. Dad gets his lasick eye surgery schedule for today so he couldn't chance getting dirt in his eye while riding the quad and Peg's aunt passed away back in Ohio. She flies out on thursday and I head to turkey camp after work with Lexie my lab. I make it there by 1:15am. I sleep in and don't get out in the woods until 11am. The wind is making the calling tough and the woods are drier than a popcorn fart. Nothing is feeling right without the family and was glad to see jackshoe in camp, with a fire going, when I ended the first day hunt. The second day was alot like the day before. I haven't heard a bird and had to cut the morning hunt short to go let Lexie out of the trailer. Lexie loves quad rides so I spent some time playing toss and road her around the area. Ran into a friend of mine, from Geronimo Estates, and he tells me about a spot he had been seeing some turkeys. So I loaded up my gear, put Lexie back in the trailer, and headed out at 1pm. I no longer get there when I spot a hen coming my way. I settle in and then see a gobbler following her. She passes by me at 15 yrds and I don't dare make a move until he's in place to take the shot. Should I jump on him or should I just shoot. Since I would have gotten hurt I elect for the second option. Wasn't much of a hunt but it was all over at 2:05pm. Jackshoe had to call his hunt short so we packed up camp and headed home after his sunday morning hunt. All we called in was a hen that morning. I have never seen the wind so strong as it was this year. My turkey weighed in at 21lbs field dressed.

post-1903-0-28309100-1304351269_thumb.jpg

post-1903-0-50119400-1304351303_thumb.jpg

The beard was only 10.5" but really thick.

post-1903-0-24094000-1304351346_thumb.jpg

The biggest head of any turkey I've ever shot.

post-1903-0-31722400-1304351495_thumb.jpg

This is Lexie's favorite seat in camp.

post-1903-0-76849300-1304351543_thumb.jpg

Way to go TJ, a beautiful bird at 2:00 in the afternoon! Good job sticking it out in that crazy wind... Sorry Peg missed the hunt :( I love pic of Lexie on the quad :P

Great job TJ! That is a beautiful bird!

Brian

Well done Tj. It was a rough weekend out there with the wind. We managed to call in nothing and saw only elk. Glad to see you stuck it out and got your bird.

Congrats. It could not have been easy in that wind. That popcorn fart comment almost made me fall out of my chair. Never heard that one before!!

Great job TJ! Way to stick it out and get it done when it seemed as if everything was stacked up against you. Too bad Peg had to miss out. We are very sorry to hear about the passing of her aunt! :( Congrats on a great bird!

-Tracy

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Peg should be home thursday night so she might get a chance to get out in the woods this weekend if she's up for it. :)

TJ