I went out this morning for the first time this hunt. I picked up a cold on Thursday and the sorry thing's been hanging on ever since. I rounded up a buddy to go out with me this morning and although we got off to a late start we did manage to get on to a couple of bucks. One of them really good.

I'm planning on being pretty picky this hunt since I already killed a NM Coues. However when I spotted the buck I did this morning, I was ready to end the hunt. We spotted them quite a ways off and after bedding them down in some trees I headed over to setup on them. I was setup by noon and that's when they got up and began feeding. I ranged the bucks at anywhere from 375 to 400 yards. Now to make a long story short I will tell you the big buck still roams the hills and I'm taking my rifle out to shoot it in the morning. ;)

Anyway I'll let the area calm down and probably head back in there sometime next week.

I did glass up a nice Coues shed but will have to get it later, I didin't have time today.

Here's where the bucks were hanging out.

L1000411sml.jpg

This is the smaller of the 2 bucks. I guessed him in the 80 inch range.

L1000417crp.jpg

Here's the buck I...mmm...mmm....didn't get. Just can't get myself to say it. I'm not sure what he'll score other than he'll break the 100 inch mark.

L1000420crp.jpg

Untill later

Scott

those main beams are great . They come around close to each other. I would say he is over 100 inch mark. I cant see the other tines but the mains look good.

Nice country Scott. Not a bad deer either,hope your luck gets better.I talked to a couple of guys from Archery headquarters yesterday,a guy wiyh them killed a 92" at 700yds with a 25/06.some dang good shooting. Anyway good luck.

Guest Ernesto C

Ahhhhh the great Scott...............you never dissapoint us. You'll get the big one.... is time to reedem your self. Remember you are not by yourself my friend. By the way.....the bigger buck scores 106 ;) Take care.

Ernesto C (your # 1 fan) :)

Scott,

Thats a great looking buck and some awesome looking country. Hopefully the next pic of that buck will be of you holding that rack ;) Good luck.

Scott

Good luck on that biggun. He's a beauty! Looks a lot like some of the rugged STEEP country we found the bucks hanging out in too! any rut signs in 27?

Scott

Awesome report with really nice pics and all! I have a late Dec. hunt and I will only be able to hunt the last five days of the season. I am really starting to get excited now that there is some rutting activity! I think its gonna be fun reguardless. I really like your hunt reports they are very well done. Thanks Rich Thompson

Nice clear pics Scott. I've been on this site for only a couple of weeks, but have been following your posts (especially during Dec and jan ) for over a year... I came back to the site and saw your name and recognized your fantastic updates and truely quality pictures !

Nice job and I truely look foward to reading the posts and seeing the pictures!

AZP&Y

B)

Thank you AZP&Y! Thank you Rich! Thanks for being my #1 fan Ernesto! :lol: I'm glad you guys like my posts but not sure what the appeal really is. Anyway, I enjoy posting them and filling y'all in on my hunts. AZP&Y those clear pics come from one a them new fangled Leica Digilux 2 cameras. Takes great photos.

Here's a couple more photos I thought you guys might like. I only took time to take two photos of the big buck. This is the second one and is a little fuzzy. It wasn't the cameras fault, I just didn't hold it still enough.

L1000421crp.jpg

I thought y'all might like this one, it shows the setup I had on this big buck, the bluff I shot from and where the bucks were.

L1000404smlcrp.jpg

Enjoy guys. I'm off to a different area tomorrow. No telling what I'll find! B)

Scott

Scott, that is crazy man. Talk about "poor man sheep huntin". Didn't you get enough of that kind of hunting over in NM? Better have those goats on stand by and ready to go. B) Nice buck!!! Good luck. CB

Scott,

Don't let any more get away! Like I told you, we got one the first day and I won't go back out until next week. I think you were the only tag holder that wasn't on the same mountain with us! I love the set up photo. I'll try and keep my camera handy and take a few myself as I always kick myself for being too lazy to drag it out.

Dennis

Great update Scott, thanks for taking us along ;)

I look foward to the next installment.