Scott,

Keep the story and photos coming. Doesn't look like you'll have to contend with any nasty weather throuh your hunt (but any rain/snow is really needed). PM sent.

Doug

I'm back in from the morning hunt. Didn't see a whole lot. It was really warm out. Didn't even freeze. I saw 8 does and 2 bucks. The bucks weren't anything to brag about.

Chris, I didn't do any of that "bluff' stuff today, I was in a little gentler terrain.

Dennis, I've been holding off going up there, hoping the people will thin out. Last year after Christmas it wasn't bad at all, we didn't run into anyone. Take out the camera and snap a few photos. Especially some through the binocs of them bucks you're passing up.

Here's the largest buck I saw. He was a fer piece out there so the photo quality is not great, and he was shaded. I think he was a big 2.

L1000424crp.jpg

This is the hill he was on. He and another buck were following some does. The other buck was a little forky and the two locked up for a little sparing for a couple of minutes.

L1000426crp.jpg

I threw this photo in of my 30's with a little CWT.com advertising.

L1000429crp.jpg

Scott,

I was hunting with Dennis on opening weekend. I saw the pics of that one you are after. I hope you get him.

I will ask Amanda to post a pic of the buck I took. Dennis passed on him, wanting something bigger. I don't blame him, he already has a 100+ buck on the wall.

That's great stuff, really enjoy going along on your hunt with you and seeing those bucks, hope you get that big one! Thanks for taking us along! JIM

Love the CW.com sticker on the 30's! ;)

Sorry you had a problem with your gun, hope you got it all sighted in. I went and checked mine today and it was off to the left a little, maybe a 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Guess the bump it took when I fell and when the swaro 15s knocked it a few times moved it some. I never know exactly how much bumping a scope can take without going off.

Hope you keep seeing some good bucks Scott!

Amanda

DesertDiesel,

That's a good looking buck, Congrats :)

Guest Reynaldo de la Torre
I went out this morning for the first time this hunt.  I picked up a cold on Thursday and the sorry thing's been hanging on ever since.  I rounded up a buddy to go out with me this morning and although we got off to a late start we did manage to get on to a couple of bucks.  One of them really good.

I'm planning on being pretty picky this hunt since I already killed a NM Coues.  However when I spotted the buck I did this morning, I was ready to end the hunt.  We spotted them quite a ways off and after bedding them down in some trees I headed over to setup on them.  I was setup by noon and that's when they got up and began feeding.  I ranged the bucks at anywhere from 375 to 400 yards.  Now to make a long story short I will tell you the big buck still roams the hills and I'm taking my rifle out to shoot it in the morning. :)

Anyway I'll let the area calm down and probably head back in there sometime next week.

I did glass up a nice Coues shed but will have to get it later, I didin't have time today.

Here's where the bucks were hanging out.

L1000411sml.jpg

Sure wish my compooter would allow me to see the pics.

This is the smaller of the 2 bucks.  I guessed him in the 80 inch range.

L1000417crp.jpg

Here's the buck I...mmm...mmm....didn't get.  Just can't get myself to say it.  I'm not sure what he'll score other than he'll break the 100 inch mark.

L1000420crp.jpg

Untill later

Scott

Desert Diesel next time get some dirt and rub it into the bloody spot and then brush off the excess. This will take care of the problem by coagulating the blood and the dirt will blend in color wise with the deer. Congrats

Very nice buck Mr. Deisel. Sorry you didn't have more time to hunt. I had the same problem with my NM buck when we tried to take the photos. Amanda and I shoved Kleenexes up his nose to stifle the blood flow. It worked pretty well.

Desertsheep, that shed I glassed up was tines up, I assume that means something.?

I didn't do too hot today. I left the house this morning and it was only 47 degrees. I went to yet another area that I haven't hunted yet and totally struck out. I didn't see a deer one, doe or buck. Oh well, that's hunting. I'm back home at noon again, my wife has the flu and I'm trying to just hunt mornings. I guess I didn't totally strike out, I did glass up a bear; a pretty brown one. I'm thinking it might be ole pumpkin head which I last saw 2 years ago. He was just a mile or so from that location. I watched this bear going through some bluffs, watched him go into a small cave then come back out and continue on. The hunt in 27 is still open I think but I never bought a tag this year.

Here's the bear.

L1000437crp.jpg

Where the bear was hanging out.

L1000435smlpnt.jpg

I'll head out in the morning for yet another "new" location. I'm not hunting this weekend but headed to my Aunt and Uncles in Las Cruces for Christmas. I'll be back at again on Monday.

Scott

Thanks again Scott. This hunting vicariously through you is alot easier with the cool pics :P

Hang in there Scott, I have faith in you that you'll get one. I squeezed in one day of hunting in the same unit you are hunting. Seen two does and two really good bucks, no shots hunting with a bow. The bucks have been making rubs like mad, counted a couple dozen on one ridge. Looks like I'll have to live out the rest of the hunt through your posts, not going to have time to go back out again. Looks like the one big buck you posted pictures of would go just over 100", nice buck! .Best of luck to ya Scott.

Jeff

Scott,

Of course it means something. If you refer to coueswhitetail.com hand book on page 26 paragragh 3 line 9 it states that all sheds that are tines up belong to desertsheep. Just Joking. Its great to get the play by play everyday. It make you fell as if we were in camp with you. Hope you find that 110".

desertsheep

this is leading to a 110 inch buck, i got a feeling, so lets all guess what the buck is going to score. even though Scott has us beliving that nothing is happening or very little. :P good luck and i/we all enjoy the day to day thanks scott.merry christmas.