Ok guys the wait is over. I finally got the photos uploaded. I'll start with Wed. the 28th. We glassed an area where I took Craig (270wsm) to kill his buck last year. We spent a good bit of time behind the glass yet were only able to find one buck and he was a small one. He was chasing some does around. Other than that we only saw more does.

L1000505crp.jpg

Finally on Thursday on we went back to where the big un got away. We glassed most of the morning and spotted 4 bucks, one of which would go in the mid eighties. Here's his photo.

L1000514crp.jpg

Austin decided to wait and see if he could find a better one, but we didn't see anything bigger that morning. We did have a couple of bucks rutting right under our glassing point but they were pretty small. Here's where they were.

L1000517crp.jpg

After everything was bedded I decided to hike down and pick up that shed antler I glassed up the previous week. Wow! What a hike that was. pretty fer piece down there and back and I was pretty well done in when I returned to our glassing point.

Here's the shed where I found it.

L1000536crp.jpg

Here's a view from where I found the shed looking back to where I glassed it from.

L1000540crp.jpg

This is where the mid eighties buck was found and where the shed was found.

L1000510.jpg

On Friday the 30th we went back into the same area hoping to relocate the big buck. Again we saw 4 bucks, 3 of them different from the ones we had seen the day before but not the big one.

We located 3 deer right under us and one was a little fawn buck. We were close enough to see the little nubbins on his head. Here he is bedded with his mamma. You can almost touch em uh?

L1000527crp.jpg

L1000533crp.jpg

We did see 3 different bucks chasing does but they were all small bucks.

Then just about the time we thought everything had bedded, it was 9:30, Austin using my 30's, picks up a buck. He's not the big one but is the buck that was running with the big one when I shot at him. I see him for just a few minutes before he beds in a grove of trees. I didn't have enough time to get the camera on him. Now I'm wondering if the big buck is already in the trees bedded or if this smaller buck is alone.

L1000552crp.jpg

Since this was almost the end of the hunt, Austin decides to try to take this buck. I wanted to watch the trees while Austin hiked into place for the shot then I was going to hike down and push the buck or maybe two bucks out to Austin. However Austin wasn't comfortable with going into that big canyon by himself so I went with him and got him all set up for the shot.

L1000558crp.jpg

To make a long story short, when I finally made my push the buck was gone. I think we may have bumped him when we became bogged down in a stinkin' manzanita thicket while trying to get into place for a shot. I'll probably never know if the big buck was in there. In the 3 days we spent hunting this area we found 8 different bucks running this country.

The last day of the hunt I was too wiped out from 2 days of hiking them nasty canyons to go back for a third day, so we hunted some different areas but never saw a buck only does. I did however glass up my first skunk, pretty proud of that. :huh:

It was a great hunt and I finally had the oportunity to take a really nice buck this year. The thrill of the chase and the ruggedly beautiful country is what really drives me to pursue these great little animals. I can't wait till next year!!

Holy eagle eyes Batman! What, did you glass that shed up in another state???? Ever tried glassing anything up on the moon? :huh:

Awesome pictures and gorgeous country. Thanks again for sharing.-Shiras

Dude that was awesome! Thanks for the pics and the story.

I've got one ? though, how do you post so many pics in one post? Isn't there a 100kb limit or something? I can never get more than one in my posts, unless I make them really small.

Thanks Josh. When I post photos I use another website to host the photos. Photobucket.com.

The shed wasn't as big as I had hoped but it was still worth the hike!

Scott

Scott,

Your pictures are truely awesome. It makes us feel we are part your your hunt.

The one picture of the 2 does with their backs to the camer and it appears there is a ghost (deer) facing the camera.

So tell me how heavy are your 30's? How heavy is your pack when you go in the field?

Terry

Terry the 30's weigh in at 11 lbs. and my pack generally runs around 40 lbs...glad you like the photos.

Scott

Sometimes tagging out just doesn't seem to matter huh? Sounds like a fun, memorable hunt and that's what it's all about!

A question, I'm guessing you digiscope and take your photos through your glasses. What camera do you use?

Can't wait to hear about your hunt next December.

Yes you are right Grim. The digiscope pictures were taken through my 30's and I use a Leica Digilux 2 digital camera. It has a lot of settings on it, but I usually have everything on auto and use the spot autofocus and generally just hold it as still as possible. I may work on building an adapter to hold the camera, since my biggest problem is holding the camera still enough with a 1/20 sec. exposure.

I can't wait till next December either!!

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the great story and awesome pics. It was fun to go along with you on this hunt :huh:

PS if that country was wearing you out I can only imagine what it would do to us mere mortal men.

Scott,

It is great to have you back on line. I love going along with you on your hunts. It looks great country. Big, rugged & beautiful. Bear, Lion, Coues & Mule deer. Did you see any elk? What about Javelina? I have a Javelina tag for 27 & was hoping to get down before the hunt but the closer it gets it looks like I will not be able to come much before the day before the opener. Not wanting to know your secret spot but any help with a starting spot would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

I really enjoyed your pics and your general account of your hunt . Sounds like you had a killer time. I was all set to have a great time on my dec. hunt but ended up having way to many distractions. I may be able to help you with the adapter you need for your camera. I have a machine shop over here in Ca. I know your cousin Duane. I have a very close friend that I think you know also,Duane`s buddy Dale.If you want to email me and I will give you my phone number. Again nice posts and great pictures with story.

Rich THompson

When you're writing your post and come to the spot you want to place the photo, you click on the button above that says IMG. It will bring up another box where you copy and paste the URL of the photo you want from Photobucket. It's pretty simple once you figure it out.

Scott

Scott.

Still waiting to receive that shed you glassed up, probaly just slipped your mind or you forgot to read your hand book. Scott I used to do some work at the mine a few years ago. We would work in the ball mill mostly changing overhead cranes out or general maintence.

Desertsheep