coues7

Wallow Fire

i was thinking of the comment that the fire fighter made about them not fighting the fire at first because of the wolves that may have been affected. this is a real critical time for wildlife. elk should be calving now or will be shortly. the baby turkeys should be hatching any time. deer will be fawning shortly. same with pronghorn. that toll on small animals like squirrels, rabbits, weasels, mice, voles, all the tweety birds, grouse, etc will be devastating. the adult animals, especially the larger ones, don't have much trouble getting away from the fires and running to safe places, but the females that are heavy with young are going to be really distressed and when they do have their babies, there won't be a lot for the mamas to eat to make milk for the newborns. the turkeys are gonna just about disappear. the nests are gonna get fried and if they have hatched the polts can't get away from the flames. i hadn't thought a lot about it until just today, but this is going to really hurt the population of every critter up there. all for this mythical wolf/dog cross curr mongrel that is never gonna be able to make it on it's own. just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. but i'm a reasonable and apparantly the folks that figure this stuff out, ain't. reason never seems to enter the equation. Lark.

There are reports of elk dead everywhere from fire crews out on the line. Rumor or not, this is horrible news.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen_747_Supertanker

only one in the world. i was wondering just yesterday when this fire would get 'serious' enough for it.

hope they paint a 3 mile wide stripe right down hiway 260....how many trips with 20,000 gallons will that take?

lee

3 miles long- 100 yards wide of fire retardant-one pass??? Wow

well that's just great. billion$ in damage. a forest that will be decades recovering. homes lost. lives distrupted. people terrorized and worried sick. all for a few wolf/dog currs that won't ever be a wild animal. thanks a lot. i sincerely hope the wolves got burned up and hope it was painful. Lark.

I'm sure they rounded them up before it go too bad... "Fido! , Felix! , She-She! , come!! Get in your kennel, we got's to go! There's a FIRE!"

Just heard on the news there is a 747 slurry bomber in route that will be here tomorrow. This bad boy is capable of dropping a full mile of fire suppressant in one pass.

When did I hear about closing the barn door?

Blake,

I was referring to closing the barn door after the horses have already escaped.

Doug

Now the news just reported that there is another fire near Flagstaff called the Hills fire. They are requesting 5 slurry planes to fight that fire. Suspected again to be human started. http://www.azfamily.com/news/Hill-Fire-now-burning-near-Flagstaff-123507264.html

Suspected to be human caused? More like arson with multiple starting points.

Now the news just reported that there is another fire near Flagstaff called the Hills fire. They are requesting 5 slurry planes to fight that fire. Suspected again to be human started. http://www.azfamily.com/news/Hill-Fire-now-burning-near-Flagstaff-123507264.html

Suspected to be human caused? More like arson with multiple starting points.

im no detective but i agree.

Just heard on the news there is a 747 slurry bomber in route that will be here tomorrow. This bad boy is capable of dropping a full mile of fire suppressant in one pass.

Don't know how much of an immediate impact it will have, but the more the merrier at this point.

Nice little sales pitch they have there, but that thing can lay down some water. I hope it truly earns its paycheck over the coming days.

all for this mythical wolf/dog cross curr mongrel that is never gonna be able to make it on it's own. Lark.

This is truly a catastrophe! This was the best high country in Arizona. I am sick over it and I am praying for all the lives it is affecting. My friend, Jim Pinter was on the front page of the AZ republic on Saturday. He was carrying all he could from his home in Alpine to evacuate.

I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go all around, people, agencies, treehuggers, whatever. But the simplest thing to do is just blame it on the one thing that you hate most. Yeah! The wolves did it! It's all because of them! If they hadn't been in the forest none of this would have happened!

Mark

Don't know how much of an immediate impact it will have, but the more the merrier at this point.

Nice little sales pitch they have there, but that thing can lay down some water. I hope it truly earns its paycheck over the coming days.

Just watched it right before you posted. Very impressive and I believe they have a few of them actually.

Are they losing Greer? the latest Google Earth Fire Image has new fire spots down in Greer and the Greer Web Cam is no longer up? Scary stuff.

This is such a sad situation ive been bummed since this thing started cause i knew how bad it was up there, i feel so bad for everyone up there. I hope they can get a break soon and put an end to this fire.The more stories i read the sadder it makes me feel, my wife just read one on wallow.us about big lake area looks like a bunch of sticks and there is dead elk everywhere. As for the wolves you guys should read the article on the G&F web site about their officers helping people and assesing the wildlife or should I say the wolves, they actualy conducted back burns to protect wolf dens and they are monitoring the packs to make sure they are ok and they might have to bring them food. WOW What idiots.

Mark

I just cant take anymore of this on the news. Very sad situation for all the people of Arizona and my prayers and thoughts go out to all the families affected.

God Bless.

Ok just read the link to the Hills Fire in Flag. They're calling it suspicious. What kind of POS person would purposely start a fire like that in a residential area knowing that resources are depleted.

All the fires burning now are human caused. Does this sound suspicious to anyone but me?