Elkhunter1

What broadhead do you use?

I decided to try something different this year and picked an expandable broadhead that i had read good things about, the G5 T3. Last Friday was opening day of my antlerless elk hunt and it found me on my favorite trail that i know elk use religiously. Shortly after daybreak i had 2 cows headed up the trail and they found it in their hearts to stop by a tree i had just ranged at 42 yards. I already had the T3 knocked in my 2011 Dreamseason EVO so i commenced with my ritual of drawing, counting out the right pin, calming myself and then finally the shot, i knew the shot was good so i settled in for a wait. After a good wait i started out to find my prize only to find that there was a lack of blood! did i miss? i knew i had not. As the area i was hunting had been drenched with rain over the last few days it made it easy to find freshly overturned ground and i followed the tracks for about 200 yards only finding tiny drops of blood. After loosing fresh tracks in a grassy bottom i stumbled upon my arrow only to find that 1 blade had deployed while the other 2 remained secured by the spider clip. I quickly noticed blood on all 3 vanes and new i had a complete pass through. I mulled around where i had lost the tracks and looked a bit harder and managed to find where she had done a slight direction change. I continued to follow the tracks and came to a point at which she crossed a well used road and found some blood and a chunk of intestine. I continued to follow the tracks and 1/2 mile later found my elk. She was quartering toward me, left to right when i took the shot, my arrow entered right behind he right shoulder where the crease ends and traveled completely through both lungs, and exited just in front of her left hip. Had i not made a well placed shot she would have lived to tell the tale. I can say with all certainty, i will never shoot another mechanical broadhead, instead i will opt for old reliable.... Muzzy 100gr.

DotShot thanks for this post. I have not had the opportunity to shoot an animal with my T3's so this information is important to me. Most importantly I am glad you found the animal.

If anyone out there has had personal experience with the T3 on big game animals I would like to hear about it. I recognize that in the end we all make equipment choices for our own reasons. Hearing users successes and failures from actual infield experiences helps all of us.

Thanks.

Wow lots of fixed blades. If I go fixed blades MONTEC all the way

But nothing flys like my T3s

I used to love the second generation Tekans too. But moved to the T3's

+1

I shot a deer last month with T3's @90 yards he went about 80 yards to die, he was quartering away and I got full penetration and a huge cut, Last week I shot my bull with the same set up at 72yards. same quartering shot and same great penetration and cut size, that bull went even less distance.

I havent shot alot of animals with a bow but it seams to me that what ever is sharp and pointy and shoots the best out of your bow is the greatest broadhead. If you can make the good shot, a dull, not so pointy one would probably work just fine. I mean indians shot rocks at animals!

sam

I decided to try something different this year and picked an expandable broadhead that i had read good things about, the G5 T3. Last Friday was opening day of my antlerless tvelk hunt and it found me on my favorite trail that i know elk use religiously. Shortly after daybreak i had 2 cows headed up the trail and they found it in their hearts to stop by a tree i had just ranged at 42 yards. I already had the T3 knocked in my 2011 Dreamseason EVO so i commenced with my ritual of drawing, counting out the right pin, calming myself and then finally the shot, i knew the shot was good so i settled in for a wait. After a good wait i started out to find my prize only to find that there was a lack of blood! did i miss? i knew i had not. As the area i was hunting had been drenched with rain over the last few days it made it easy to find freshly overturned ground and i followed the tracks for about 200 yards only finding tiny drops of blood. After loosing fresh tracks in a grassy bottom i stumbled upon my arrow only to find that 1 blade had deployed while the other 2 remained secured by the spider clip. I quickly noticed blood on all 3 vanes and new i had a complete pass through. I mulled around where i had lost the tracks and looked a bit harder and managed to find where she had done a slight direction change. I continued to follow the tracks and came to a point at which she crossed a well used road and found some blood and a chunk of intestine. I continued to follow the tracks and 1/2 mile later found my elk. She was quartering toward me, left to right when i took the shot, my arrow entered right behind he right shoulder where the crease ends and traveled completely through both lungs, and exited just in front of her left hip. Had i not made a well placed shot she would have lived to tell the tale. I can say with all certainty, i will never shoot another mechanical broadhead, instead i will opt for old reliable.... Muzzy 100gr.

Dotshot I feel your pain! You need to look at the mechanics of each expandable you try. Not all are the same. Try one that expands after the initial impact and uses a medium that will easealy break and alow it to expand at the point of impact. Give the Swahcker a shot.

My dad and I switched to the NAP Bloodrunner 2's and man did they work awesome on my dad's bull. We already knew they flew great and just looking at the design you can tell they are fool proof....no o-rings, clips, or any other device to "hold" the blades. My dad double lunged his bull and even though we saw it was a great hit a blind man could of followed the blood trail. New heads in my quiver will be there until something better comes along!

im saying rage for deer fixed blade for elk.have pictures but dont know how to download them.here is my bull with a rage at 43 yards,he was only alive for about 30 seconds.but i would advise using a fixed blade

post-4947-0-55319600-1317336134_thumb.jpg

Muzzy 100's did an amazing job on my elk this year...

post-478-0-40274000-1317279415_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-46623200-1317280111_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-96331800-1317279459_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-49421600-1317279501_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-61697600-1317279527_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-44779900-1317279561_thumb.jpg

I watched this bull drop less than 50 yards from where he was hit - lots of blood. Total time from impact to the last "wheeze" was under 15 seconds. I didn't know an arrow could kill a bull elk that fast - it was unreal. One blade is bent, but this arrow went in through the crease on the right side of the neck and shoulder and exited out the ribs just behind the opposite shoulder. That's full penetration on a frontal shot on a heavy bodied bull elk, with all 3 blades still attached and intact.

With all the great heads out there, I have seen proven results from Muzzy 100s time and again.

I shot my bull with the Slick Trick Mag this year. My buddie used the Rage for his bull. Both heads worked very well. Shot placement is the ticket no matter what head you use. My 2 cents. :o

NOW THIS IS THE POST I WAS ASKING FOR! You have shots of the head,blood trail and the animal. Just need shots of the.entrance and exit wounds. Great post, keep them coming!

Muzzy 100's did an amazing job on my elk this year...

post-478-0-40274000-1317279415_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-46623200-1317280111_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-96331800-1317279459_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-49421600-1317279501_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-61697600-1317279527_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-44779900-1317279561_thumb.jpg

I watched this bull drop less than 50 yards from where he was hit - lots of blood. Total time from impact to the last "wheeze" was under 15 seconds. I didn't know an arrow could kill a bull elk that fast - it was unreal. One blade is bent, but this arrow went in through the crease on the right side of the neck and shoulder and exited out the ribs just behind the opposite shoulder. That's full penetration on a frontal shot on a heavy bodied bull elk, with all 3 blades still attached and intact.

With all the great heads out there, I have seen proven results from Muzzy 100s time and again.

Started out a HUGE fan of fixed blades. Shot my first coues with a 100 gr. Montec. Blood trail was a drop or two every 15 feet or so. Shot my first pig with a muzzy MX3 100 gr. Took me almost 2 hours to find it. The shots were good not great, but even so the blood trails were very poor and hard to follow. Fortunately I recovered them both. Decided to try the new 2 blade Inverter mechanical broadheads from Steve Ward. Really like how they fly just like my field points, and tough as nails. Shot some rabbits with them and was very impressed with their performance. Ended up getting my hands on some of Steve's prototype 3-blade Triverters, and liked them a lot as well. Shot a pig in January with one, and it went about 3 yards and piled up. Blood everywhere, and easy recovery. Ran out of triverters in the offseason, and on a few missed shots in January, so had to go back to the Inverter 2-blades for August archery. Shot a whitetail with the Inverter last month, and he ran about 20 yards before piling up. Granted both Inverter shots were better than my first two with the fixed blades, but I still felt the fixed blade blood trails and penetration were not impressive. A few photos attached, and will add some more when I get to my other computer. So for now I am a big fan of Inverters and Triverters, until something better comes along.

post-1571-0-45370700-1317533126_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-19725800-1317533199_thumb.jpg

post-1571-0-80570000-1317539826_thumb.jpg

I shoot The X System heads from Mid Atlantic Archery... They fly great with my set-up and even if the expandable blades don't deploy or fail in some way, there's still a 2 blade with enough cutting surface to kill the animal.

I shot my 6x bull this year at 61yds with a gravedigger and he piled up 30 yds from where i shot him. For those of you who havent heard of them check them out at www.nolimitarchery.com You can now have a mechanical and fixed in one broadhead.

Muzzy 100gr

I love having Muzzy moments

I use the Spitfire Maxx. I took this guy in Michigan from a tree stand. It took out both lungs, and lacerated the left ventricle. He dropped dead 20 yards from impact. I'm sold on the Spitfire.post-5498-0-17986600-1322602091_thumb.jpg