Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

My 1st kitty

Shot Feb 20th, 2010 in unit 36A, shot with a Kimber 270WSM @ 10 yds

Quick story: On the 2nd day of our javelina hunt while driving back to camp I noticed something dart off of this outcropping of rocks about about 60yds away. I asked my buddy if he saw it and he said he didn't. At this time I'm thinking, was this a cat. So I stop the truck get out and start walking toward the rocks, the wind was howling so bad that day (in my favor at this time) that I knew whatever it was would never hear me sneeking up toward it. As I get up to the rocks I turn and look toward my buddy and raise my hands up into the air and do a "OH WELL" shrug. I take a few steps around the rocks and notice the lion is crouched down (roughly 10 yds away)looking directly at my buddy who at this time is standing/resting on the side of the truck bed just looking at me. At this time I fill my britches thinking to myself holy bajesus, raise my rifle and Ka-Blam. The lion fell backwards off of the rocks about 5' and just glared at me with the darkest black eyes that I ever ever seen (kinda spooky actually) a few seconds go by and I start hootin and hollering yelling at my buddy that I got it. Tagged it and took it to WGP to keep it cool because AZGF wasn't open on the weekend to do there check-in procedure. I took it to AZGF on Monday, they took a fat sample, a tooth, sex (it was a tom) and they took info from me on where/what & when? I then took it to Lippert/Doyle Taxidermy so that they could skin it and tan the hide for me. One day and many $$$$ I will get a full body mount. I have the skull on the mantle and hide in the freezer, let me tell you I love showing it off to guests who come on over. I did get a letter from AZGF and they said the lion was 9 years old. By the way I had WGP process the meat and my family and I couldn't stop eating it, it was that good. I personally think it was better than elk-call me crazy. I have hunting for 30 years and have only seen 3 cats, sure wish I could get one every year.

post-2173-0-86404100-1311388254_thumb.jpg

post-2173-0-44950800-1311388382_thumb.jpg

Congratulations!

Cool story to go with it too.

Bet your buddy wasn't expecting the shot either.

Wow, wild times! I bet that was a good rush!

Nice cat, even nicer ...neck shot? Southern unit? Where did you harvest the Tom?

Nice cat, even nicer ...neck shot? Southern unit? Where did you harvest the Tom?

It was unit 36A just NW of the Batamonte Ranch