Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Change Up?

Are you going to do something different than your norm this coues season? Why the change?

Hunt a new and different unit? Try bowhunting for the first time? Use a recurve instead of a compound bow? Spot and stalk rather than sit in a stand over water or salt? Backpack hunt instead of having a cushy base camp? Use a 30-30 instead of an UltraMag?

im going to harvest a buck. that's different than normal for me.lol

+1 ha ha ha

I'm going to be in a tree stand instead of spot and stalk this year. I have had this tree stand for 10 years and am going to give it a try...

My hunting buddy wants to haul his AR, and have me pack his LR rig, in case he made the wrong decision. He wants a hero pic of a coues and his AR. Similarly, I'd like to use a win m94 trapper in 357mag. I would like to take a buck with it some time. I doubt I will this year. I have a new 338 Lapua on its way. Kind of opposite sides of the spectrum, anything close to 100yds is extreme long range for the trapper. Biggest thing I'm looking forward to is long range video. I finally got an SLR camera, that also shoots video. I should be able to video in HD past 1000yds when its set up to the spotter. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good photos and video this year. I also have a full gamut of hunts this year to help on; several early WT hunts, a few early archery bull hunts, a couple late Oct/NOV WT tags, one late rifle bull hunt, and my Dec WT tag.

I'm doing my first backpack hunt this year. The over abundance of people pushed us out of our normal spots last year so this year we are ditching our proven hunting grounds for the solitude of a backpack hunt.

Having said that, though, I am also going to try to stick my first mule deer buck with a bow in a few weeks. I've hunted coues deer with my bow and rifle for the last 6 years or so and this year I'm changing it up and going after a mule deer. If I don't get it done, then it's off to the backpack trip for coues.

Good luck to everyone this year!!

I have about as much patience as a little kid with a handful of chocolate candy, but I am Going to sit my butt in my ground blind this year. It is hot and dry and just maybe I'll pick the right water hole. Anyway, I'll be practicing at the bowhunter happening on Saturday, hope you all have as much fun as me and the kids will have.

Im with you TwoGuns I have no patience, but I will be sitting in a ground blind for the first time in a few weeks. If i'm unsuccessful then I'll be hunting a new unit to me in late oct with the rifle.

I'm gonna get one of those no good left over tags down by the border that is over run with illegals and drug runners in a unit that I've never set foot in. Of course it will be an October tag when it's too hot for any big deer to be out during hunting light and I'll have to backpack in a few miles and climb over 1,000 vertical feet. Just me, my pack, my rifle and a mile long ridge to glass off both sides for three days.

I was planing to do something unusual and actually getting drawn this year instead of relying on leftover tags, well it wasn't meant to be, again.

I'll be back in coyote (2 legged kind) area again but this time I'll go solo.

Cheers

MoosE

Change up? Not going to Africa this year for the 1st time in many years. Decided it was high time to do some other hunts I have always wanted to do. T-minus 3 months til hunts.

I'm not going to pick up a left over tag this year and concentrate on helping friends and then if time allows get back to spot and stalk archery.

Well I drew an archery bull tag so I thought it was time to take the plunge and get out in the unit with a bow during the archery deer hunt and see if I cant find the nice coues buck up close that Chef and I saw a couple years ago.