CouesBuckhunter

New State Record Goulds Turkey.

My Dad, Rick Forrest., was very fortunate enough to draw a unit 35 Goulds Turkey tag this year. ( there are only 4 tags a season). So he scouted hard and found an area of interest. Opening morning came and I was stuck at school while he went out along with our friend Cole VanWinkle who video-taped the hunt. They called birds all morning long but didnt see anything big. Then mid-day approached and the birds shut up. It soon grew extremely windy on them so calling was even worse! Giving up was not an option so they set up once more to call these majestic birds. Luck was with them alright, a tom cam in on a bee-line to the call and at sight of the decoy, it began to slap its wings, beating the decoy all around. The tall grass hid the spurs, making my dad think twice about shooting the gobbler. The footage was too good so my dad drew the bow. The tom saw the movement and decided something was up, but as he bagan to leave a swhacker-tipped arrow hit him at the base of the tail, killing him where he stood. My anxious dad ran up to the bird and at sight of the birds spurs his smile grew even wider. The Gould appeared to be a new state record. So we had it scored 60 days after and it still appeared to be the biggest bird yet. Then it went to panel scoring a couple days ago and is the new Arizona State Record. It scored 2 5/16 inches, just thought Id share.

--

Eric Forrest

post-4675-0-91715300-1313194214_thumb.jpg

post-4675-0-57367700-1313194317_thumb.jpg

Eric,

Congrats to your Dad on a absolutely beautiful trophy. I seriously doubt this record will ever be broken. The state record Merriams measured 2 4/16" and has been the state record for around 20 years. Gould's are not really known for long spurs, so this is an incredible bird. My hat is off to Rick.

Congrats again,

Mark Sipe

Congratulations to your Dad, Rick, on a beautiful bird. Taking it with a bow just makes it that much sweeter. When do we get to see the video? Thanks for sharing Eric. :)

TJ

you get anything for circumference and inside spread? Lark.

inside spread? :lol: :lol: Lark, I'm glad you can still find the humor for what you're going thru. You must have the good stuff. :)

TJ

yeah, i'm stayin' pretty well stoneded.

that is about the prettiest turkey i've ever seen. my dad shot a big ol' tom in u1 years ago that was real copper colored like that. hope he gets it mounted. are the goulds known for that kinda color? i'm gonna hafta shoot one o' them sometime. Lark.

Dang Eric it's about time you posted some picture of that nice bird. That was a really cool hunt to be on. Still can't believe it's a new State Record.

Cole