RAM

Backpacks?

Badlands has the best warranty/customer service for a reason.. The zippers and straps break too often not to.. I think Eberlestock packs are the most comfortable packs out there.. Havent bought one yet, but my next pack will be the Horn Hunter Full Curl, check em out

I have a Black Creek Guide Geer Canadan and it's awesome! I like a big pack cause I do a-lot of back pack hunts it holds my 15s 10s and my rifle or bow pluse hind quarters of an elk.

It's expensive but deffinetly worth it

This is the same pack I use now. I used to use a badlands 2200, well I still have that pack. But the badlands did not fit me right. I got way sore shoulders with a load in it. My brother and I bought a blacks creek jim horn canadian and alaskan in 2007 after my dads sheep hunt. I like being able to adjust the pack exactly to my size. I think I paid 179.00 at sportsmans then I think they are still the same price now. Has packed out just about everything. 3 pigs, 4 coues bucks, 2 elk, along with my gear. But if you have the money those other packs are really sweet.

After a lot of research and trying on different packs, I finally decided on the Eberlestock Tred Barta pack. I hadn't seen that anywhere online, but happened to stop by Archery Headquarters and they had one there. It fits like a champ and I used it on an Antelope hunt last weekend. Carried all of my stuff plus my buddy's and even wore it while riding a horse all day Saturday. Shoulders were great. I am very impressed with the quality of the pack. Plus it carries my large tripod, spotting scope, rifle/bow and anything else I need. LOVE IT!

I have used badlands 2200 and blacks creek canadian. I found the 2200 difficult to stuff all my stuff into, so I went to the blacks creek pack which I like better, but the zippers are busted on it now. But if you are looking for a smaller pack, I just got the Eberlestock X2 (from Santana Outdoors) and used it most everyday all summer for fieldwork and have loved it!! It's comfortable and has the mesh back to help keep you cooler while carrying it. I have yet to use it for a hunt, but I plan to use it on my elk hunt. Pretty sure I can use it to pack an elk quarter as it has a metal frame for strength.

After a lot of research and trying on different packs, I finally decided on the Eberlestock Tred Barta pack. I hadn't seen that anywhere online, but happened to stop by Archery Headquarters and they had one there. It fits like a champ and I used it on an Antelope hunt last weekend. Carried all of my stuff plus my buddy's and even wore it while riding a horse all day Saturday. Shoulders were great. I am very impressed with the quality of the pack. Plus it carries my large tripod, spotting scope, rifle/bow and anything else I need. LOVE IT!

I've got the exact same pack and love it. eberlestock makes another pack that is basically the same design as the tred barta.... don't know offhand what its called.

also have the j-104 and love it. imo, eberlestock makes some great packs. I've had badlands packs before (2200) and found the waistbelt to be very squeaky against my clothes; it was very comfortable, but very noisy. noisy doesn't go too well with coues huntin so I opted to change.

bull-pac makes a great frame pack. if one is hauling heavy heavy gear, you couldn't go wrong with one of them either.

nice selection in your pack. you'll like it.

No matter what the price is of the pack/glass/boots/etc you need, it'll always be more expensive to buy one or several cheap models first.

That said, the Kelty Cache Hauler is the ONLY bargain in packs I've found. J107 and Gunslinger ain't bad.

I owned several others previous, including a J104 and J105.

Currenty have 2 Keltys, a 107, two Camelbaks, and two Gunslingers. None are a bad pack withing their limits.

+1 for the Kelty Cache Hauler. I went through this delema a couple years ago. I actually bought four different packs, one at a time, brought them home and loaded them up with all my gear. You can tell pretty quick if they fit you right, and handle all your junk by wearing it around the house for a while. I tried the Eberle J104 and X1. Great packs, but the lumbar pad made my low back hurt right away (I have some low back issues). I also didn't like the way the load is carried away from your back, due to the rifle scabbard. I tried the BL 2200. That pack is very comfortable, but there were a few things I didn't care for. I was also concerned about the bad press on the zippers. The last pack I brought home was the Kelty Cache Hauler. I got it at Sportsmans for $100. It's light weight and very comfortable. I like the "batwing" style compression system. I pack a small Camelback on it for water and gear, and a small fanny pack with field dressing gear. I took the top crossover bar off so it just has the vertical upright sticking up like a peg on both sides. I sling my rifle on this and snap the stock into the "Gunslinger" that is attached to the belt. This setup gives you options after packing into your hunt area. You can stash the frame and just use the camelback, or go real light and just use the fanny pack. I haven't tried an overnighter yet, but I'm sure it can handle it. There is a pack bag made for it....if you can find it.

Last year I bought an Eberle X2 (before the new version came out). It was a "smoke damage" sale, so it was a good price. This is a great pack which I use a lot for scouting and archery hunts. I just bought the rifle scabbard that was listed on this sight by PJM. I will be trying that out this October. It's hard to find one perfect pack...so you have to own several :rolleyes:

Another idea for attaching your rifle to a pack frame - I used to use an old aluminum frame backpack that I modified into a pack frame. I mounted a rubber mag light holder (the one that holds a D-cell mag light) to the side of the frame, near the bottom. The pistol grip of most rifles will snap right in and hold well. On this frame I had to cut the top cross bar off so I could sling the rifle over the upright peg. I actually mounted that cross bar to the bottom of the frame, between the verticals, to form a meat shelf. It worked very well, but the old pack is not very comfortable with an elk-sized load on it. It has been replaced by the new high-tech stuff. It currently hangs in my garage and still has a apecial place in my heart. ;)

I purchased two Eberlestock packs in the last month the new X3 and the Gunslinger II. I kept the Gunslinger II as it has all the bells and whistles and tons of room to carry out meat. I've hunted three seasons with a borrowed pack and a Kelty outside frame pack. They worked, but what a difference with the new pack. I have taken it hiking and the feel is great and less fatigue after having it on my back for hours.

Spend the money and be happy.

If you don't have a lot of money, cabelas has a cheap one that is like 50 bucks, holds rifle or bow. I like to have my rifle or bow in my hand or over my shoulder when packing so I use a back packing pack for overnight. I use the cabelas one when I'm needing a day pack to hold a rifle for tough climbs or to hoist into stand when i use my bow. its cheap but really nice for the price. They also have the eberlestock one that is a real small pack with a gun scabbard.

Cheap=cabelas

Moderate=small eberlestock

Expensive=full size any of them, they are all like 250+

I have the Eberlestock Dragonfly and X1 both great packs. You can make any pack carry your rifle if you spend some time with it and Eberlestock sells the rifle carriers seperately if you already have money into a pack you like. It is nice that the Eberle's keep the rifle against your back and accesible, also makes it easy to balance the rifle weight. All that being said this year I am using a Kuiu pack with a carbon frame. I have not gotten it out in the field yet but it seems to be a very well designed pack with a lot of features and it is stupid light.

After reading over this thread for several days, I have decided on my new pack. I just ordered a gunslinger II in western slope. I will let you all know how it works out. It will see service in a couple of weeks in 36C, next will be a mulie hunt in the Beach Mountains early Dec. Several pick up hunts between then. Good Hunting :)

After reading over this thread for several days, I have decided on my new pack. I just ordered a gunslinger II in western slope. I will let you all know how it works out. It will see service in a couple of weeks in 36C, next will be a mulie hunt in the Beach Mountains early Dec. Several pick up hunts between then. Good Hunting :)

That sure is a nice pack , Im sure it will serve you well . Are you ready to get it bloody ?

I have horn hunter main beam XL. I use it as a day pack and 1 to 3 nights backpacking. It has been a great pack, can hold some weight and very comfortable. I also have a Cabeles frame pack for longer trips, its ok but not near as comfy.

That sure is a nice pack , Im sure it will serve you well . Are you ready to get it bloody ?

Lets do it... :D