Sign in to follow this  
azcouesfanatic

NM Speed Goat

Hey Everyone,

Well I did not have much luck (no luck really) in the draw this year so when a good friend called and asked if my dad and I wanted a couple of land owner tags for his ranch in New Mexico we jumped at the chance. My dad hunted the same ranch last year and was able to harvest a great P&Y buck so I was super excited to get the chance to chase speed goats, especially since I HAD never killed one with a bow before. We arrived at the ranch around noon on Friday and the hunt did not open until Saturday. The ranch had not had much water so it was pretty dry and the antelope were hitting water but I really wanted to spot and stalk an antelope. We headed out with the ranch manager Ty to survey the ranch. After several hours of driving and looking we only saw one antelope, a buck on the 15,000 acre ranch. This was a little discouraging but it was the middle of the day so I was hoping it would get better once it cooled off for the evening.

That evening the temperature dropped and things started to cool off. After several hours of looking we spotted one more antelope and it was a very nice buck. Scouting was not really that productive but I had a place to start in the morning and with a little luck I would be able to get close enough to one of these speed goats. My dad decided to sit a blind and Mike and I headed out to the area where we had seen the biggest of the two bucks. First light found Mike and I glassing from the same vantage point we had seen the buck the night before. I spotted the same buck a little after first light and he was moving down a drainage that was choked with cholla's and cedar trees. We were able to cut the distance to 130 yards and bucked looked like he was going to move out of the drainage and up on an open hillside. Just as he started to do this he turned and walked into more cholla's. The buck walked behind a large cedar tree and Mike looked at me and said I will wait here go get him.

I kept the cholla between me and the buck and quickly closed the distance. When I peaked around the cholla the buck was 38 yards away and he was eating the fruit off the top of the cholla. The buck had no idea I was there and he was slightly quartering away. I scooted up two yards so I could have a clear shot at his vitals. I drew my Elite Pulse and settled my pin on the back rib of the buck. At the shot the buck fell straight down. It was 704am on opening morning and I had a great antelope on the ground. The buck should score around 75" P&Y.

I included some pictures of a couple bucks I was able to sneak in close to with Mike but we never got a shot.

This was an awesome experience and I would like to thank Mike Ingram, Ty Dunlap and his wife, and my dad.

Equipment:

Bow: Elite Pulse

Sight: CBE Tek Hunter

Arrows: Gold Tip 5575 Prohunter

Broadhead: Shuttle T

Vanes: Fusion 1.5" x 6

Rest: Trophy Taker Smackdown

Binos: Swarovski 15x56

Camo: Kings Desert Shadow

Hope You Enjoy

Brian

post-3635-0-71658400-1313421622_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-49167600-1313421626_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-57889800-1313421637_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-51288500-1313421647_thumb.jpg

post-3635-0-99773100-1313421655_thumb.jpg

great buck brian! thats some neet country.

Nice looking buck. It's nice that the stalk came together for you first morning. Sounds like you did not have to overcome any watchful doe eyes.

i've always kinda been in awe of anyone who could kill a goat with a bow. i have never even applied for an archery tag. you done a fine jobe there and shot a real nice goat. Lark.

Congratulations on your goat. To take one with a bow is my goal someday but I will have to draw first. Thanks for sharing. He will make a nice mount. :)

TJ

Congrats Brian on a great Buck!!! To do it spot and stalk is even more of an accomplishment.

Nice job Brian,That's the reason Az G+F didn't give you a tag.They knew it would cost them an animal,Ha Ha.Way to go,Cliff