Sign in to follow this  
Bowsniper Jr.

My First Buck!

Hello, my name is Daniel and I am 11 years old. I just got my first buck yesterday and here is the story.

post-4313-0-45274000-1314681012_thumb.jpg

We got up at 4 o’clock in the morning and hiked into our blind. We saw lots of does and a few bucks but didn’t get a shot. Even though I didn’t get a shot on a buck on the first day, I saw more deer than ever before. It was cool to see what they actually do. The next day we got up at 4 again and hiked down to the blind. Some does passed by. But then, some does and a buck came. This buck kept going in and out of range. Finally, he stopped and looked around within ten yards of our blind. Woosh! I hit him right in the spot I wanted. Then he started hauling down the side of the hill. We saw my arrow on the ground behind where the buck had stood. Soon we found out, my arrow had gone through the buck with the string tracker still tied on it. (A string tracker is a really tough string that you tie on your arrow so you can follow the string to your animal, I highly recommend it especially with archery turkey.) We didn’t go tracking right away because if it was still alive and just bedded down we could scare it and it could possibly go on a death march. So we hiked back up to the truck, had lunch, and an hour later started tracking. The string tracker led us right to where he piled up. Of course, he ran down the steepest hill around. :angry: Some people say that wounded deer run downhill because it is easier for them. But I think they do that just so you have to carry them back up. :lol: He had run two or three hundred yards. As we later found out, I had double lunged him. How he was able to run that distance with both of his lungs punctured while pulling a couple hundred yards of string tracker through his lungs I will never know. I had hit him a little high so there wasn’t a very good blood trail. Thank the Lord for the string tracker, and I mean it!

Thanks for reading! :)

-Bowsniper Jr. :D

• Like 1

CONGRATULATIONS!

Your first buck..and with ARCHERY equipment! NICE!

Love your quote on why deer run downhill too! :lol:

Thanks for writing the story and sharing it with us.

I look forward to reading up on many more of your successes in the future.

Way to go!!! Many old men have never harvested a coues with a bow, and you did it at age 11. How cool is that! I'm sure this is just the beginning of many more for you. Enjoy the tasty cuts.

Great job. Not too many people in this worl can claim their first deer was an archery coues. Of those few, very very few can make that claim at age 11. Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.